DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   Strange results ... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/519958-strange-results.html)

Stuart McAlister November 13th, 2013 04:19 AM

Strange results ...

Hi there,

I switched on my C100 for the first time this morning, hooked it up to my Ninja-2, did the necessary menu adjustments so I can fire the Ninja-2 from the C100 and set about looking at picture quality.

C100 :
24 Mpbs
LCPM
50i

Ninja-2
1080i50
ProRes 422

I’ve shot a few slow(ish) pans and tilts but when the footage is slotted directly into FCP7 (checking that I choose the same settings as the clip), I have noticed that on these movements, the picture seems to be somewhat jittery. On solid lock-off shots, it’s fine (naturally), but the results on movements in FCP7 aren’t exactly satisfactory. I am not whipping it left and right, just a few slow gentle pans. The image on the Ninja-2 is perfect ...

If anyone has any ideas, then I would be grateful for any help.

Many thanks.

James Davis November 22nd, 2013 06:38 PM

Re: Strange results ...

Are you getting these lines when you pan or tilt?

I have noticed something on my Ninja 2 as well, it has interlaced lines on moving shots.

Nate Haustein November 22nd, 2013 08:28 PM

Perhaps your editing program is interpreting the fields incorrectly?

James Davis November 23rd, 2013 04:45 AM

I am getting these problems right out of the Ninja 2, ive been searching online about the problem but so far you're the only one who posted about this.

I noticed when the HDMI is plugged in too long i get these results, anything that moves have the interlaced lines on it, when i remove the the hdmi cable and plug it back in, it will record normally, if i keep it long then the lines would come back.

Seth Bloombaum November 23rd, 2013 12:11 PM

Stuart, it sounds like the problem may be with FCP7 and your mac not quite keeping up with the playback demands. The way to test this is to render a high-motion section to some low-bitrate codec in MOV and see if the motion now looks normal.

Or, it's possible that you're experiencing the same interlacing artifacts that James is. A couple of tests; render to progressive and review the clip very closely in fullscreen. Is the edge of moving objects jagged, only when it moves? This would be a deinterlacing problem. Also, try shooting some progressive footage in the C100/Ninja, how does it play in FCP?

Stuart McAlister November 25th, 2013 03:55 AM

Seth,

I’ll give that a go - I have nothing to loose!

In FCP I make a new sequence:

Custom 1920 x 1080
Square
None
ProRes 422

However, even when the project is saved, I take another look at the sequence settings and the aspect ratio has switched back to 1920x1080i ...

I’ll get back to you.

Thanks again,

Stuart