DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   1DC Disappointment (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/520572-1dc-disappointment.html)

Steve Kimmel December 10th, 2013 10:35 PM

1DC Disappointment

Just want to start by saying that I love the 1DC for its video abilities.

But, I also rely on it as a still camera, and there are 2 things that really bother me for the type of shooting I do -- slow AF in low light and very limited auto-ISO shutter speed choices.

Now, Canon has realized this limitation and is going to fix these things -- but only on the 1Dx, not the 1DC. Firmware version 2 for the 1Dx will not be available for the 1DC. I contacted Canon directly about this and they stated "the EOS-1DX firmware update is only applicable to the EOS-1DX camera. I am sorry about any confusion."

I realize the 1DC is a "cinema" camera but its high cost was, to me, justifiable because it serves as a high-end stills camera as well.

Does anyone have other info that might suggest that the improvements in the 1Dx will make there way into the 1DC

Danny O'Neill December 11th, 2013 06:03 AM

Re: 1DC Disappointment

Unfortunately Canon have a habit of deliberately crippling their cameras so you have a need to buy another.

There is no reason they cant fix this on the 1DC but they wont, they want you to buy a 1Dx.

Same happened with the 5DMK2, they could fix the 12 min limit but didnt, they want you to buy a 5D3 or one of the other models which had increased recording time.

The C100 has no slow mo, it can. Has the same sensor and processor as the C300 and C500. Has more power than a 7D which can.

Were in a world now where we are used to Apple who make the best they can and dont cripple things to make you buy the next model up. Canon live in the old world where this was the norm.

IMHO, they have too many models and should cut back to the 4 model approach. Consumer/Pro and a Low spec/High spec model.

/Rant over

Steve Kimmel December 11th, 2013 12:16 PM

I can certainly see (although don't like it) that Canon doesn't want to trump a "higher end" model with features in a lower end model. But the 1DC is their highest level DSLR. It really should keep up with the 1Dx.

Tim Polster December 11th, 2013 10:09 PM

Steve, I would agree with you. Have you checked to see if the 1Dc is the same as the 1Dx? Maybe there is a difference in the build that holds back the still side of the 1Dc to get a better video image?

If they were identical then the 1Dx should be able to shoot video like the 1Dc... Just thinking out loud.

Steve Kimmel December 11th, 2013 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Polster (Post 1824092)
Steve, I would agree with you. Have you checked to see if the 1Dc is the same as the 1Dx? Maybe there is a difference in the build that holds back the still side of the 1Dc to get a better video image?

If they were identical then the 1Dx should be able to shoot video like the 1Dc... Just thinking out loud.

There's definitely something different about them on the video side, but on the stills side they seem to be identical (at least until the 1Dx firmware 2.0 update!).

Jon Roemer December 12th, 2013 11:16 AM

Steve - I shoot with the 1Dx as well as the C300.

In terms of stills: I shoot a ton with the 1Dx in all conditions. I have also used the 5DM3, 1DsM3, 1DsM2, 1Ds and 1DM4.

The 1Dx by far is way better than all of those other models in terms of AF, in general and in low light. This is without the upcoming FW update.

I don't shoot sports or use the auto-ISO so maybe I'm not hitting situations which the 1Dx's upcoming firmware will be noticeable.

But that said the camera is incredible (in my opinion.) I've shot at f/1.2 at ISO 52,000 with no AF issues.

In what type of situations are you hitting AF issues? What lenses are you using?

I'm curious as I am debating selling one 1Dx to replace it with a 1DC.

Steve Kimmel December 12th, 2013 11:39 AM

Hi Jon,

I do a lot of low-light theater and concert work. I have been using a Nikon D3s for years and it is much better in low light. In fact, I still have the D3s so was able to compare. The D3s is able to focus on faces in low light where the 1 DC struggles. (I think it would be the same with the 1Dx). I also use exposure comp in manual mode quite a bit as the light changes and there's often heavy spotlights.

Jon Roemer December 12th, 2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kimmel (Post 1824159)
I do a lot of low-light theater and concert work. I have been using a Nikon D3s for years and it is much better in low light. In fact, I still have the D3s so was able to compare. The D3s is able to focus on faces in low light where the 1 DC struggles. (I think it would be the same with the 1Dx). I also use exposure comp in manual mode quite a bit as the light changes and there's often heavy spotlights.

Interesting - especially with your direct comparison to the D3s. I used to shoot operas and this past spring shot theater and dance for some projects - it all worked out well. Low light, changing light, etc. I was able to shoot with f/2.8 zooms (70-200 II, 24-70 II) and with some of the f/1.4 and f/1.2 primes. Didn't have any AF issues.

Andree Markefors December 31st, 2013 05:14 AM

The 1Dc is a 1Dx where Canon has made the necessary modifications to allow it to shoot 4k video, something a 1Dx wouldn't be able to do reliably according to Canon's standards. These includes over clocking the Digic 5+ as well as modified cooling. There was also a late modification after the first few cameras had been released that I think is undisclosed.

I don't understand why people expect the two different cameras to be upgraded in concert. One is a stills camera that is managed by one division and the 1Dc is a Cinema EOS line camera that's being developed by another division. The two incompatible firmwares are not updated in sync.

If progress is made on the 1Dx side, it's more than fair to expect these improvements to show up in the 1Dc as well.