DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   Canon EOS C100 Cinema EOS (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/520616-canon-eos-c100-cinema-eos.html)

Steven Davis December 13th, 2013 03:51 PM

Canon EOS C100 Cinema EOS

I read somewhere that this camera will actually follow focus and zoom like a regular camcorder? I have a Sony Z1u that I want to replace.......

Chris Malley December 13th, 2013 06:30 PM

Re: Canon EOS C100 Cinema EOS

Servo motor functionality for focus and zoom?

Dual Pixel AF?

Steven Davis December 13th, 2013 10:18 PM

Yeah, I want zoom and auto focus, rocker etc like a regular camcorder

Nate Haustein December 14th, 2013 10:50 AM

It should autofocus with the new $500 update, but not sure if any power zooms exist beyond awkward motorized lens control units.

Perhaps something like the Sony EA50 has a suitable power zoom capability?

Danny O'Neill December 14th, 2013 08:31 PM

Follow focus. Yes, but only with the $500 upgrade or if you use the 17-55mm lens.

Servo zoom. No. Time to drop that habit.

Matt Davis December 15th, 2013 10:14 AM

Stephen, you may want to check out the B4-to-EF adaptor from optics wizard Mike Tappa.

You can attach an HD ENG lens (with 2x adaptor engaged) with its servo zoom, to your C100, but it's not AF. It's not cheap, but you're looking at at least $12k for a good new HD ENG lens. I've seen results from non-HD glass - not worth it. If you're restricted to SD lens budgets, buy an EX1 or XF300 instead.

Mounts & Adaptors : B4 2/3" to Canon EF adaptor

Erik Naso December 15th, 2013 12:03 PM

You should stick to a camcorder style camera. Getting a cinema camera to act exactly like a ENG or camcorder is an expensive and bumpy road.

Sony has a couple new UltraHD camcorders coming out soon. These might serve you better since they are 4K and you will be ahead in resolution for the future. Of course you're getting a new TV right? :-D

Richard Gooderick December 15th, 2013 01:47 PM

Wasn't there a rumour of a motorised zoom lens to come from Canon at some point.
Or was that wishful thinking on my part?
It may not be cinematic but it is certainly what the customer wants on occasion.
And you get a lot more usable footage in a conference etc situation with a lanc and zoom on your camera.

Steven Davis December 15th, 2013 04:41 PM

I looked at this camera last year, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/684199-REG/Canon_4457B001_XF300_Professional_Camcorder.html
It has all the right stuff, CF card recording, better quality. Ofcourse, this decision is x2, so that means, two cameras, two zoom controllers, new batteries if I go away from the Sony, and more CF cards. But I know it's time to make the jump in quality.

I'm still reading and reading and reading.

Erik Naso December 16th, 2013 12:09 AM

It's the size of the S35 sensor thats makes a servo lens expensive to produce. Thats a big heavy lens that just would be out of reach for most people.

Jim Martin December 16th, 2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Gooderick (Post 1824497)
Wasn't there a rumour of a motorised zoom lens to come from Canon at some point.
Or was that wishful thinking on my part?
It may not be cinematic but it is certainly what the customer wants on occasion.
And you get a lot more usable footage in a conference etc situation with a lanc and zoom on your camera.

Yes, Canon showed a future lens coming with a built-in motor/servo, much like the Fujinon Cabrio....my guess is sometime next year (1st half?)......

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com

Eric C. Petrie December 16th, 2013 06:34 PM

If Canon does produce a Cabrio counterpart it will probably be in the $40,000 range, just like the Cabrio series. There are a few ways to slice it, most of which have already been covered. 1)Sony FS700 w/ 18-200mm f/6.3 servo zoom lens $691 a month/12 months 2)Canon C100 w/ the MTF Services adapter and an HD broadcast 2/3" lens, no AF but great servo zoom, $229 a month/24 months for the camera, or traditional ENG camera like the new Sony PXW-Z100 4k ENG camera $5,494

Eric Petrie epetrie@provideoandtape.com