PBS doc series POV equipment survey at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old December 16th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #1
Major Player

PBS doc series POV equipment survey

This is really interesting. POV asked documentarians to share their experiences with equipment and documentary tools - from cameras and lenses to animation software and mobile apps - to create a comprehensive equipment list based on what filmmakers are actually using in the field. I'm not saying that what is popular is always the best or we should all do what they're doing. But it's really interesting to see trends like this. Speaking as someone who sells all of this gear at great prices i can say that my experience would back up these numbers. POV's 2013 Documentary Filmmaking Equipment Survey | POV | PBS

Eric Petrie, epetrie@provideoandtape.com
Eric C. Petrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 10:40 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Re: PBS doc series POV equipment survey

It's a shame that 28% of the respondents have only 0 - 5 years in industry... NOT who I'd use as a reliable source of inspiration for gear suggestions, as evidenced by the preponderance of Manfrotto camera supports compared to Sachtler.

Nothing against Manfrotto as a budget minded solution but the budget-minded producer bias is quite evident in this poll.

I'm 15 years in as a doco producer/shooter/editor and the first five years I frankly should NOT have been relied on for REAL insight, even though my clients asked what I thought often and I answered based on their declared budget. Thankfully, I started out working for a broadcast rental and post house as a freelancer and had access to higher quality gear than the average new producer/shooter these days who goes down the DIY route...
Old December 17th, 2013, 09:53 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I find it notable that:
1) So many overwhelmingly don't use FCP-X
2) A good chunk use Sony's venerable EX camcorders
3) A bunch responded with merely "5D". Apparently not knowing anything more about their gear.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2013, 05:34 PM   #4
Trustee

/I find it amazing that so many are using Mac and FCP7 / FCPX vs how many are using Adobe, which also includes the Windows users.

Also notable was the FCPX equalled or out numbered CS6 & CC usage where specified and only trailed Adobe by the other versions in the middle. If you listened to Adobe they were the absolute overriding 'standard' now that 'everyone' who is 'anyone' is using. I guess they're slowly picking up the 'renters' while those who refuse to rent are sticking fast with earlier versions or migrating elsewhere.

The Canon DSLRs (5D/2/3/7D/60D) just about equal the entire Sony usage, without including any other Canon systems. There are so many people out there that have only ever shot with DSLRs and simply don't understand why proper camcorders can be so much better in some (but not all) situations.

Interesting stuff.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems