Canon C100/300 update coming? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old January 30th, 2014, 02:31 PM   #1
Major Player

Canon C100/300 update coming?

I heard a rumour via a photography forum that the Canon Cinema EOS cameras might be getting replaced soonish and there might be some news around April. Anyone know anything more about this or is it just idle talk? I'm still somewhat considering either a C100 or C300 but if they are bringing out a new model any time soon I will certainly make do with what I have now and wait to see where they are going with the next round of Cinema EOS cameras.
Andy Solaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2014, 03:01 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Canon C100/300 update coming?

Fact 1. Every camera manufacturer is working on new models - and most likely will announce them the day after you bought the previous version :-(

Fact 2. Anyone outside the camera manufacturer that really knows (and they will be very few in number) will not say anything as they will have signed a NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement). Therefore anything you hear/read is most likely nothing more than idle web chatter.

Fact 3. Canon, perhaps more than some of the main camera manufacturers, has a product renewal cycle that is "almost predictable". I stress almost. My C100 (which I bought at launch) looks, to me, still way too new in that cycle (and I gather are selling like hot cakes anyway). Sure, its not perfect, but owning it and seeing the images it can produce makes me understand why. Seems highly unlikely we'll get a C105 (or whatever it will be called) just yet. Sure, us owners all have a list of things, often discussed on here and elsewhere, that we would like in the next model refresh. If Canon is smart (and they are) they will know that list and be working on addressing most of it within the restrictions imposed by their marketing department's target price points (related to competitor threats/strengths/weaknesses at any given time).

The C300 is certainly a little older in the tooth (but I gather are still selling well).

So who knows? You'll never get an answer until Canon want you to.

Bottom line. If you need a specific camera, buy it. If you don't, wait. That golden rule will never change.

In my opinion threads about this kind of speculation will achieve nothing except waste everyones time time reading them. Move along now...
Old January 30th, 2014, 07:32 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
...Bottom line. If you need a specific camera, buy it. If you don't, wait. That golden rule will never change...
Sorry to extend this thread, but I can't help myself.

I quite agree with Andy W. The time to buy a new camera is when it pencils out that you can make money with it before it goes obsolete. Until then, rent!

I run into lots of people who don't want to rent. It seems to be a matter of principle with them.

Hey, if they must have the latest greatest and can afford it, more power to them. But I'm looking at a spreadsheet and want to be able to justify significant purchases financially, based on paying work!

There's always something new coming down the road...
Old January 30th, 2014, 09:52 PM   #4
Major Player

I agree with all points you raise Andy W but I don't think this question is a waste of time. I'm sure it's just web talk but just supposing I had missed something and buy a C100 only to discover a new model is on it's way. I'd look pretty silly for not checking first. Spending this much money it's worth a few seconds to check every source to make 100% sure.
Andy Solaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 02:45 AM   #5
Inner Circle

OK. My last line perhaps came across a bit harsh. Sorry!

The rental perspective is interesting. Personally, I have always bought but it really depends what you need and how often. As a point of reference, I recently sold my EX3 (as I needed the cash to help buy my lovely new PMW-300). I worked out that it cost me less than £600 a year to own it for the 5.5 years I did (excluding the cost of insuring it and annual Sony Prime Support cover after the initial period expired). In that time let's just say that EX3 "paid me back" superbly well. I don't think I could have rented one with 365 days 24/7 access at that annual price :-)

Back on topic. My guess is that if, and it's a big IF, the C300 is to get a model refresh then at (or immediately before) NAB would be the most likely time we would first get to hear about it. Also, past history has often shown that cameras announced at NAB can still take many months, sometimes maybe a year or more, before they actually appear on dealers shelves and we can buy them.

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; January 31st, 2014 at 04:07 AM. Reason: adding cost of ownership info
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 05:16 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Keep in mind Canon Video isn't the same as Canon Stills but that line has blurred in the last 5 years. Caveat Emptor.

HISTORICALLY:
1) As a small company, Canon is a small player in pro video. Ergo they move slowly but surely.

2) Canon stills cameras change much faster than pro video cameras. The change in stills cameras is less rapid as you move up the line. The current line are young bucks in Canon product timescale.

3) Canon Video is late entering a market and milks what it makes (aka keeps it in the market even after it's obsolete; GL-2, XH-A1s, ...).

4) Canon, of late, does not shock and surprise with product announcements. In recent years, (due to the 5DM2 debacle), they forewarn of an announcement.

5) Canon Video used to update it's enter-the-market model with a product that addressed shortcomings (GL-2, XLs, A1s, H1s). But that hasn't happened since the H1 was updated a bazillion years ago.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems