Canon it's Feb. 2014, is the C100 AF upgrade available yet? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old February 11th, 2014, 01:34 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Canon it's Feb. 2014, is the C100 AF upgrade available yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dobson View Post
Hi Jon,

It's not anywhere near as fast as the AF demo for the C100. It's faster on solid objects with high contrast.

However it does work and can be useful for certain situations. I used the 18-135 STM today whilst filming a
large business meeting. Feeling rather lazy I was able to get pin sharp closeups around the table with minimal effort on my part.

Its resolves focus very fast in 'one shot AF' mode and slower in continuous mode. Like wise the Auto / one shot Iris is very smooth.

I've been using the 18-135mm STM since it's launch. A lot of people really don't like it, partially I think because it does not have a fixed aperture, is made of plastic, utilises 'fly by wire' focusing and is not a 'L' lens.

I like it because of its focal range, it's lightness, it's quietness and because it is very sharp. So for me it's a useful lens to have in the bag. I imagine that Canon will incorporate STM technology into it's 'L' series soon.
Thanks Mark! All good to know.

I haven't tried much on the new C300 FW other than focus area for MF and using the Lens Exchange feature.
Old February 24th, 2014, 09:08 PM   #17
Regular Crew

The website was just updated and the upgrade is now officially available - Canon U.S.A. : EOS C100 Feature Upgrade

Just got off the phone with Canon. Got the address of where to ship to, and an estimate of 5 business days turnaround. Shipping costs not included.
Slavik Boyechko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 02:59 AM   #18
Inner Circle

I see there are currently two threads about this. Just for info I posted something in this thread (perhaps should have posted it here instead).

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...ml#post1834121
Old March 4th, 2014, 01:05 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Has there been any feed back regarding how long this upgrade process takes? Also, will they upgrade the firm ware if needed?

I assume this upgrade will have no effect on total manual lenses? Meaning light metering, focusing aids will not be effected if a manual lens is used?

Thanks
Kevin O'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 04:46 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I just sent mine in today from Seattle, WA to their service center in Los Angeles, CA. I'll report back when it's finished but Canon quoted me 5 business days.
Old March 4th, 2014, 05:05 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I live minutes from the Canon Service department in Irvine I planned on dropping off my C100 this week and I can find out exactly how involved it is with the technicians.
Old March 5th, 2014, 02:24 AM   #22
Trustee

I would like to hear from those who have the AF upgrade installed how the low light performance is. Specifically, how fast does it lock into focus compared to normal lighting and does it hunt before it achieves focus. Does it reach a point in very low light where it can't achieve focus. For example - a low light wedding reception.

Last edited by Jim Snow; March 5th, 2014 at 08:22 PM.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2014, 09:19 PM   #23
New Boot

I received my Dual Pixel autofocus sensor upgrade yesterday. In 2 business days it was complete, 2 business days for return. They updated the firmware (without asking) to the current 2.0.3.1.00.

In my ad hoc unprofessional assessment on a Canon EF 16-35MM 2.8, it works as advertised, The better the lighting/ISO the more rapid/immediate the focus. In very low lighting without proper ISO adjustments the focus typically needs to hunt a few oscillations around true focus, but it tends to find it and hold. In these very low light settings, cranking the ISO up to a usable exposure returns the rapid/immediate focus.

It is important to remember to have external audio or be using MOS footage, as the auto focusing lenses are noisy robots.

Also: not sure if it was the firmware upgrade or the sensor/auto focus firmware upgrade, but the camera's internal clock was wrong and could not be manually adjusted in the menu on return. I called Canon prior to trying a hard reset. The tech agreed it was weird behavior, he couldn't offer an explanation and agreed I should do a hard reset. This worked and allowed me to reset time, and everything else...

Will be looking forward, with everyone else, to the next firmware that allows manual adjustment of the auto focusing region. Overall, a very appreciated feature for the right situations.
Eric Goodspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2014, 10:21 PM   #24
Trustee

Thanks Eric for your answer. That's exactly the info I was looking for.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 12:27 AM   #25
Regular Crew

I got to test the new C100 AF at WPPI last week and found it quite useful in well lit situations.
No facial recognition and trouble in low light may be a problem in the real world, but I'm willing to pay for the upgrade.

Everyone asked if this would be a feature in new units and the universal answer was no.
Check back next year.
Old March 10th, 2014, 03:13 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Hallo Eric

Is possible to make a video most conclusive test..with several types of lenses and frames coated in dark areas :-)I want to do this step myself with my camcorder C100, but I have not seen a conclusive test to convince me it's worth it to make investment.and honestly prefer raw footage .. not one advertisement published by Canon :-)

Thanks...thanks in advance
Docea Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 03:36 AM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docea Marius View Post
honestly prefer raw footage .. not one advertisement published by Canon
Does Dan Chung's recent test count? Yes, shot at a Canon facility, but certainly not a 'Canon ad' LOL - at around 1.17 (IIRC) is it Dan who we can hear saying 'I honestly can't fault it'.

Due to the popularity of the upgrade in the UK, I have to wait until 31st March to get it done. I think Canon may re-think its 'only available via paid upgrade' stance and sometime next year 'they'll all have it'.
Old March 10th, 2014, 06:13 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Thanks Matt.....
Docea Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2014, 02:01 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Thanks for the feedback, sounds like 5 business turnaround is the norm, which is great.

The video clip was very helpful. I can see this feature working well when I need to pan or change the framing slightly and focus on subjects at different focal lengths. But will this feature also follow a subject (within reason) when they move and maintain focus. I would also like to use this feature during a close up scene with a very shallow DoF. Will the focus lock on if the subject/actor’s head moves out of the normal focal plane if set at like a F/2.0?

Thanks
Kevin O'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2014, 04:55 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Do the new C100's have this already? or will a brand new C100 have to be shipped off as well?
Michael LaHatte is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems