Canon it's Feb. 2014, is the C100 AF upgrade available yet? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old March 12th, 2014, 05:13 PM   #31
Major Player

Re: Canon it's Feb. 2014, is the C100 AF upgrade available yet?

"Everyone asked if this would be a feature in new units and the universal answer was no.
Check back next year."
Old March 13th, 2014, 08:31 AM   #32
Regular Crew

In Romania this cost 500 EUR..is too expensive and not worth the investment to do this in the C100, I prefer to buy a Ninja Blade 730 EUR..I say it is overpriced .. 500 eur and will not give money astia.Si 400 eur was so much ..but 500 EUR is too much for autofocus ..
Docea Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 09:00 AM   #33
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael LaHatte View Post
Do the new C100's have this already? or will a brand new C100 have to be shipped off as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Avanson View Post
"Everyone asked if this would be a feature in new units and the universal answer was no."

Just to clarify one more time, this is an *optional upgrade* which means there is no change to the way C100's are made. If you buy a new C100 today and you want the AF upgrade, you will have to ship it off.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 01:53 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Anyone know how well the focus works with the Canon 17-55 2.8? Debating picking it up specifically with this upgrade.
Old March 13th, 2014, 02:24 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Yes. It works very well and fast, almost too fast. It works with most EF and EF-S lenses as well as STM ones. See another thread I posted on about the Dual Pixel AF upgrade, link in post #18 in this thread.

Mods, I suggest you amalgamate the thread in the Wedding/Events section with this one to avoid confusion/even more duplication...

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; March 14th, 2014 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Suggesting merging threads
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2014, 10:54 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Hallo

You can change Aperture while continuous video filming on focus?

Thanks
Old March 16th, 2014, 08:00 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Hello, if somebody help me with information, I want to send C100 in service in Italy to make sensor update
I need to send anything besides C 100 empty? what accessories should send out the C100?
Thanks
Old March 16th, 2014, 02:07 PM   #38
Regular Crew

I also would appreciate information about how to send in my C100, sorry if this has been answered by now. Is there a link to canon that describes the address/process. I live in Wisconsin. Is the turnaround time still very good? I absolutely must have it back by April 1st.
Mervin Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2014, 06:13 PM   #39
Regular Crew

If you're in the U.S. you should really call or email Canon EOS Cinema Service directly to get the most accurate information about what to include and turn-around times for the upgrade. They are extremely helpful and their customer service is really great.

1-855-246-3367 or CinemaEOS@cits.canon.com
Scott Bellefeuille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2014, 06:54 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Thanks for that information. I will call tomorrow.
Mervin Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 10:15 AM   #41
Regular Crew

Here are my thoughts on the upgrade so far:

Turn around time from Pacific Northwest to Westcoast was 7 business days.

I tested this on a Canon 16-35mm 2.8 ii, Tokina 11-16 ii 2.8, Sigma 18-35mm 1.8, and a Canon 70-200. Unfortunately the sigma 18-35 does not work at anything beyond 1.8.

The AF worked really well on all the lenses. The order of quickness and smoothness was:
1. Sigma 18-35mm
2. Canon 70-200
3. Canon 16-35mm
4. Tokina 11-16 (this was a bit slower than the rest)

AF soise is similar to the order above except with the Sigma being louder than the Canons and the Tokina being much louder than the rest.

The AF only looks somewhat natural and "focus pulled" on the 18-35mm, everything else snaps into focus very quickly and abruptly. This is both a pro and a con for me as I'm using the upgrade to check focus quickly at weddings.

The AF seemed to work quite well in moderately low light settings.

One problem I noticed is that if you have a large depth of field between a subject in the foreground/background, the AF takes a long time to adjust on the Canon lenses (when something is in front of the camera and switching between things in the background a few feet away). There was literally 2-3 seconds where the camera was not adjusting focus then the AF would kick in.

The focus lock feature is very nice and I believe will prove invaluable during event interviews and candid focus pulls.

It's a shame the Sigma doesn't work at anything higher than 1.8 because that lens easily has the fastest and most natural looking AF. Hopefully Sigma releases an update to the lenses' firmware to resolve this.
Old March 19th, 2014, 12:01 PM   #42
Regular Crew

This is a real problem??I found this on youtube..months and I want to send C 100 Canon service .. but after seeing this footage does not know what to do.I think it is not filmed with C 100..I HOPE

Old March 19th, 2014, 01:15 PM   #43
Major Player

What a funny pair of clips.

Its a bit like throwing a non swimmer into a pool and wondering why they drowned.

Inept camera work onto a, badly lit, ill defined background would throw any autofocus system out.
Mark Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2014, 03:58 AM   #44
Trustee

I'm champing at the bit to get my DPAF done in the UK - long waiting lists, but presumably it's under way and everyone's happy - but looking at those two videos, the focus action seems to be hunting in the way that the traditional contrast based AF systems work.

Specifically, in the first video, the focus goes THE WRONG WAY in the first instance. That's sort of contradicting the 'Phase Detection' process that tells the camera which direction to focus.

Just wondering if this is like the debacle over upgrading to 1.0.3 and 'Suddenly My Atomos Ninja Won't Trigger!' - because of course the camera gets a full reset and you need to restore to that setting you diligently saved before the camera had the firmware update, or (oops) manually check all the nitty gritty settings.
Old March 20th, 2014, 04:49 AM   #45
Regular Crew

Hallo

if, as is rumored, the NAB will appear C150 to better monitor and AF .. I prefer to wait a bit before sending C100 serviced DUAP PIXEL
Beter i sale my C100 and buy the new model :-) all included
Docea Marius is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems