Hot swapping lenses? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old March 2nd, 2014, 08:32 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Hot swapping lenses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas de Kock View Post
Having discussed this now & working in the field over the weekend was interesting. My conclusion is that it's not practical to power down the camera to swap lenses at all. I use a ThinkTank Modular Belt system so at any given time I go between three lenses there is no practical solution to power down the camera in a fast paced event environment.
They make special lenses for fast-paced event environments: they're called "zooms."
; )
Seriously, though, why are you asking us if you're just going to do it anyway? The IR filter will keep your sensor itself from getting dust on it, sure, but the static will still pull more dust, which is just as dangerous for your IQ if you don't catch it, even if it doesn't ruin your sensor.

Ironically, you are even more likely to get dust in there and not catch your mistake in a fast-paced environment than you would be if you had the time to power-down.

You will do what you have to, but I have ruined a shot more than once by unscrupulously swapping lenses. And one time I even ruined a camera that way. So now I almost always power down or use a zoom.
Finn Yarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 02:01 AM   #17
Inner Circle

I always power down on my C100 when swapping lenses.

I note the discussion on dust but I thought I read a long while back in the early days of the C300 that the main issue was fleeting contact/shorting of powered contacts with other contacts in the lens mount area (as the lens is twisted off/on) that was a conern - hence blown fuses on C300s?
Old March 3rd, 2014, 08:00 AM   #18
Major Player

It seems a few people using a c300 have blown a fuse but I've seem no evidence from c100 users. It's also curious how the 300 has a lens swap button but the camera aimed at fast paced event filmers has none. Maybe because it doesn't need one?

Anyway, I submitted a feature request for a lens change button. Unless they just assume we are all going to use a 70-105 all day ;)
Old March 3rd, 2014, 09:45 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn Yarbrough View Post
They make special lenses for fast-paced event environments: they're called "zooms." ; )

Seriously, though, why are you asking us if you're just going to do it anyway? The IR filter will keep your sensor itself from getting dust on it, sure, but the static will still pull more dust, which is just as dangerous for your IQ if you don't catch it, even if it doesn't ruin your sensor.
Finn please show me a zoom that does 11-300mm F2.8 :) Have you actually looked at the sensor on the C100? I live in South Africa which is a fairly dusty environment & I'm not getting dust sucked into the mount I obviously try to minimize changing lenses in a dusty environment but I'm not paranoid about it.

I ask because hot swapping lenses is something I do often and a friend has expressed concern so I need to investigate if there is a justifiable reason not to do it. I stand to be corrected by time but I don't see any danger from hot swapping lenses on the C100. After this weekend I also realised that it's impossible to power down in a fast paced environment at the rate I go through lenses so I'll have to take my chances. Having two C100 cameras filming for several months with no issues I conclude it's safe to hot swap. I'd be interested to hear from other C100 owners that might have run into problems.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 11:04 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas de Kock View Post
Finn please show me a zoom that does 11-300mm F2.8 :)
Ha ha! If I showed you that, I'd have to kill you.
I don't have any other reasons not to hot-swap, you've stumped me. You obviously have the dust issue under control.
Finn Yarbrough is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems