advise on using Telephoto Zoom lens with EOS camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old March 5th, 2014, 06:33 AM   #1
Tourist

advise on using Telephoto Zoom lens with EOS camera

Good Morning,

I'm looking for a good Telephoto Zoom solution to use with my C100. Any experience with the Canon EF 100-400mm or something like the Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3?

Any advice would be appreciated
Roy Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 09:29 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: advise on using Telephoto Zoom lens with EOS camera

follow this link but there are more thread about this subject on this forum

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-ci...8l-ii-usm.html
Wil Vermeesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 08:26 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Roy,

When I previously shot for a small daily I also had to shoot video of high school football games. I used a Canon 400mm f/4 DUO lens. It weighs a little over 4 pounds and I shot with a 5D MRK II on a Manfroto video monopod (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/757124-REG/Manfrotto_562B_1_Fluid_Video_Aluminum_4_Section.html).

I know it is not a zoom, but the two lenses you are talking about are close to the same weight as the 400 f/4 I used. The Sigma lens, yes, the Canon 100-400 a pound less. I had no problems following and manually focusing on the players as the game action happened, running or passing. I have the 70-200 f/2.8 and like it, better on a tripod, but can do on the monopod. I also have used the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 lens on the c100 and it handled well. It too is heavy but doable.

Jerry Mennenga
Sioux City, Iowa
Jerry Mennenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2014, 04:23 AM   #4
Major Player

The Canon 100-400 L lens is superb. However it is also very heavy and has the old - push - pull zoom, which is absolutely fine to use once you get used to it. I also have an extender for it which turns it into a 200-800 lens which on the C300 /100 is equivalent to about 300- 1200 - very impressive for when you need it.

If you don't want to spend too much money and want something really lightweight I would also recommend the new Canon 55-250 STM lens which I tried out the other day. It focuses quickly and silently and is remarkably sharp for a lens which retails for around £300 / $250 approx.

I also tried out the Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 USM L IS lens the other day which again is a very high quality older style L lens with a huge focal range. Again this, like the 100-400, is a push-pull lens and also pretty heavy.

I've not tried the Sigma 150-500 but could imagine it would work very well based on other Sigma lenses I have in my bag. ( 50mm 1.4 and the 10-20mm wide angle )
Mark Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2014, 05:57 AM   #5
Trustee

I'm going to cast my vote for the lowly 70-200 f4. Great for the R&G videographer.

It's small, lightweight, the IS is good enough to actually hand hold on an active shoot without relying on beta blockers, it's unobtrusive, and fits in my ScotteVest along with a couple of other lenses. Because of all of this, it actually gets used rather than feeling like a trophy lens (my previous 80-200 2.8 millstone). It's also bloody sharp.
Old March 8th, 2014, 07:16 AM   #6
Tourist

Thanks for the suggestions.... I think I going to go with the Canon 100-400 L for events I shoot with a tripod, but grab a Canon 55-250 STM for R & G. Several sites have had good things to say about the STM lens.
Roy Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 12:46 AM   #7
Major Player

That Sigma is a lousy lens. There is a big difference in optical quality between the sigma and the Canon 100-400.

The 100-400 is a good zoom lens. It works ok with a 1.4x TC as well. However for longer focal lengths, I normally prefer my 400 f2.8 IS with TCs. The 100-400 is comparatively lighter and can be used with even cheaper video heads. I have used it even on bean bags.

I often use the Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM as that lens is very sharp and works well with TCs. The Canon 400mm f4 DO lens mentioned by Jerry in the previous post is a great lens. However, it is costly as well. A costlier zoom is Canon 200-400 f4 IS with in-built 1.4x TC.

What kind of shooting do you do?
Old March 10th, 2014, 04:40 AM   #8
Tourist

mainly event shooting (plays and concerts) where I need a long zoom to get full stage and closeups while stuck in the back of an auditorium.
Roy Bailey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems