PLEASE HELP!!! What lens or lenses for wedding videos??? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old March 18th, 2014, 10:02 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: PLEASE HELP!!! What lens or lenses for wedding videos???

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Armando View Post
Completely forgot about the crop factor!! Thanks Danny. Lots of great info on this post! Thanks to all.

I keep flipping back and forth if I should get the 24-105 kit lens or not. Factoring in the 1.5 crop factor makes me think if I should just go with the 24-70 f2.8 ver2 which at 70mm will be exactly 105mm on the c100. Then again if I do get the 24-105 as the kit lens, it's $600 (half price). Should I put that money towards something else?? I honestly don't see myself carrying around more than 2 lenses. I usually shoot weddings alone (no second camera).

John
I would get the 70-200 2.8 (non is) if you can afford it or get the 70-200 f4. The 24-105 simply doesn't have enough reach during the ceremony unless you're satisfied with a medium shot of the couple.
Old March 18th, 2014, 03:08 PM   #17
Major Player

A good grab bag would include

11-16 2.8
18-35 1.8
50mm of your choice
70-200 2.8 of your choice
Old March 19th, 2014, 07:13 PM   #18
New Boot

Okay, thanks Nicholas. Do you own both type of batteries? The camera comes with one BP-955 already so I was either going to get 2 of the 955 or one 975 and one 955. Does that make sense? Is there a significant difference in battery life between the two? I know if depends on how you shoot but on average how do each of these perform on wedding day? I've read that the 975 prevents the battery door from being closed, is that a big deal? Also, do you find the differnce in weight to be an issue?

I agree with you regarding charging throughout the wedding day, I don't like doing that. On a normal wedding shoot, I start around 8am and finish at about 1am or after the last dance.

Anyone have any tips on where to mount the receiver for the wireless lav mic on the c100? I can utilize velcro if I have to. As well, has anyone used a good LCD hood or eyepiece cup? I'm not sure how the LCD screen performs in daylight.

Thanks for everyone's help!
John Armando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2014, 07:30 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I would definitely recommend the Zacuto Z Finder for using the LCD outside when it is sunny.... both the lcd and viewfinder (can't see waveform) are useless outside:

Amazon.com: Zacuto C100 Z-Finder Pro Optical Viewfinder for Canon C100 LCD, 40 mm Lens Diameter, 1.8x Magnification: Camera & Photo

Unfortunately I don't think there is a cheaper alternative at the moment.
Old March 19th, 2014, 08:04 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Calabig View Post
I would definitely recommend the Zacuto Z Finder for using the LCD outside when it is sunny.... both the lcd and viewfinder (can't see waveform) are useless outside:

Unfortunately I don't think there is a cheaper alternative at the moment.
Not that I recommend it, but if you're ever in a jam (like your Zacuto went missing), some duct tape and cards out of your wallet will get you some shade and make you look sufficiently ridiculous so that you never let it happen again :)
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2014, 08:55 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Benda View Post
Has anyone used the Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8? It's for crop-factor cameras, like their 18-35mm f/1.8. We're getting a 2nd Canon 70D and I thought they might be a nice option at around $900, and then I can keep our Canon 70-200mm f/2.8s for our 5d Mark iis

I always assume two different shooters will split up, so I'd have two wide lenses:
Either the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 for the 70D (and only $800, great reviews, and works with autofocus)
Or Canon's 16-35mm f/2.8 for full frame (around $1500)

and each of these for each camera I have:
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II
Canon 24-70mm f/2.8

or maybe, with 3 cameras, one of them have a 24-105mm f/4, instead
Then, of course, a macro lens

Wedding Video by RNB Weddings
I am using the 50-150 Sigma lens on my 7D for ceremony only, it's a good lens, except that the focus ring is a bit stiff, Im using a ring focus leveler to pull focus and that helps.
Rickey Brillantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2014, 10:21 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Calabig View Post
I recommend Zeiss over any other brand but they do require manual focusing.
I LOVE my Zeiss 35 and 85. They are exceptional primes for the C100.
Old March 20th, 2014, 04:04 AM   #23
Trustee

BTW - I can't remember who originally pointed this out on the board, but don't forget that if you own a Zacuto Z-finder, you can pull off the rubber eyecup and put that round the EVF which gives you a fighting chance of working which way the camera is pointing outside. With some mood suppressants and anti-anger counselling, you may even be able to judge focus and exposure too.
Old March 20th, 2014, 05:20 AM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickey Brillantes View Post
I am using the 50-150 Sigma lens on my 7D for ceremony only, it's a good lens, except that the focus ring is a bit stiff, Im using a ring focus leveler to pull focus and that helps.
Does it work with Canon's focus? We'd be using it with the 70D. I know Sigma's 18-35mm f/1.8 works...

*LOL, Matt. Very nice. I just mentioned elsewhere, we had a bad day where our Zacuto was missing. I grabbed some duct tape, some cards out of my wallet, and made a square shaped shade shield that did pretty OK, all things considered, though it looked ridiculous enough that I will never forget the Zacuto again
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2014, 10:40 AM   #25
Regular Crew

This may also be a cheaper option in the future but the viewfinder's LCD is so damn small I think it will still be a struggle:

C Cup: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...the-canon-c100

And yes I loved my 50mm Zeiss so much I ended up grabbing the 35mm 1.4 recently despite the crazy high price.
Old March 20th, 2014, 11:41 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
The camera comes with one BP-955 already so I was either going to get 2 of the 955 or one 975 and one 955. Does that make sense? Is there a significant difference in battery life between the two? I know if depends on how you shoot but on average how do each of these perform on wedding day?
I have a the 955 that came with the camera and I got an extra 975. I start filming around 10AM till 11PM at which time I've drained both. I tend to keep my camera turned on most of the day. I do pack my chargers as backup in case the ceremony or speeches go on too long a 955 + 975 might not be enough. I really want to get another 955 or 975 just for peace of mind maybe even a knock-off like Wasabi for back-up only.

Quote:
I've read that the 975 prevents the battery door from being closed, is that a big deal? Also, do you find the differnce in weight to be an issue?
You are thinking of the C300, the C100 has no battery door, you won't really notice size difference between the 955 & 975 while filming on the C100.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2014, 01:59 PM   #27
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas de Kock View Post
I have a the 955 that came with the camera and I got an extra 975. I start filming around 10AM till 11PM at which time I've drained both. I tend to keep my camera turned on most of the day. I do pack my chargers as backup in case the ceremony or speeches go on too long a 955 + 975 might not be enough. I really want to get another 955 or 975 just for peace of mind maybe even a knock-off like Wasabi for back-up only.

You are thinking of the C300, the C100 has no battery door, you won't really notice size difference between the 955 & 975 while filming on the C100.
Thanks Nicholas.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 02:08 PM   #28
New Boot

Does anyone have any experience using glidecams with the c100? I'm trying to decide which would suit the camera better, the Glidecam 2000HD or 4000HD. I'm so jealous of those fancy shots I see on Vimeo. Again, this is for shooting weddings so I can't use the arm or body brace as its to bulky. Also, would I be able to use the 24-105 lens or is the lens not wide enough?

My apologies if this question has been addressed in another forum.

Thanks
Old March 23rd, 2014, 04:02 PM   #29
Major Player

When using my steadicam, I usually use the 11-16 on a crop. I just got the sigma 18-35 and have mounted it up as well, and it works at 18mm but any more and it starts getting tricky getting focus consistently if things are moving. The tokina lets you shoot wide enough that hyperfocal is in your favor. Not sure how well they would work on the AF upgrade on the C bodies but its worth looking at as if the lens doesnt hunt too bad you could pull of some fantastic shots with some more standard focal lengths. A 24mm shot nice and wide open (thin DOF) on a steadicam can give some great looking shots when your looking to isolate a target.
Old March 24th, 2014, 10:44 AM   #30
Regular Crew

I use a glidecam and definitely go for the hd 4000 for the c100. You really need the heavier glidecam to get smoother and more easily controlled shots. I'm using 5 weights on the bottom of each side for a c100 with a lens, quick release plate, and top handle attached.

For lenses, I would recommend the 11-16mm Tokina II or 17-55 ii is 2.8. The lens look amazing when stopped down and the zoom is all internal. I use it mainly for architectural/establishing shots but if you want a lens to capture people, I'd definitely go with a 24 or 35mm.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems