DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   PLEASE HELP!!! What lens or lenses for wedding videos??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/522243-please-help-what-lens-lenses-wedding-videos.html)

John Armando March 14th, 2014 08:22 PM

PLEASE HELP!!! What lens or lenses for wedding videos???

Before I begin.... This is the first time I've ever posted anything anywhere! I've always taken advantage of reading reviews and posts from others but have never participated until now.

I've been shooting wedding videos for almost 20 years and I'm just about to switch over to the "dslr" 35mm cinema style shooting and I'm going to be purchasing a Canon c100 in the next few days but I'm stumped on what lens or lenses to buy. It comes kitted for an extra $600 with the Canon 24-105mm f4 IS which is nice because of the zoom and the IS but its an f4. The other option is to get the infamous Canon 24-70mm f2.8 ver II but I lose the IS and the longer zoom. I don't know if it's a waste getting both lenses. I would only be getting both because I'm only paying half for the 24-105mm because it comes kitted. The other option would be to go with the Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 which has image stabilization for half the price but I've read some complaints about the focus ring being a little small and the overall performance is not as nice as the Canon. So many lenses I don't know what to get!

I normally shoot European weddings (Groom's house, brides house, church, park, banquet hall) and the day is usually rushed so I don't see myself changing lenses throughout the day. Maybe just at the banquet hall, if that makes sense. I will be shooting with a monopod throughout the day and switch over to a tripod for the evening. I normally use an LED light on top of my cameras or at least I did with my ex3. Not sure if I still need that with these cameras being so good in low light.

Any advice on lenses or the C100 would greatly greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!!

John

Tim Bakland March 14th, 2014 11:31 PM

Re: PLEASE HELP!!! What lens or lenses for wedding videos???

You will NOT regret the 24-105 as a go-to lens.
Even at F4, given this camera's low light/ISO amazingness.

For my weddings, the 24-105 is the default ceremony lens and then for really lowlight settings with more predictable framing, I'll use a couple of primes.

Noa Put March 15th, 2014 02:01 AM

You will be in for surprise coming from a ex3 and going to the c100, I think the c100 is a very complete camera that has everything you need to make the transition less painful but to make it easier I also would recommend the 24-105 f4 eventhough I don't shoot with canon camera's and lenses. The reason why is that IS is a very important feature and to get used to the camera you are better off with 1 lens that covers a larger focal range so you can use that lens through the full day if needed.

Since the c100 has so good low light performance you can also get away with it at darker receptions, if you are used to using a light you could try that as long as you have that one f4 lens, just for those situations where it gets really too dark.

I think that one lens will get you used to the camera and in the beginning you will need to put all your attention to the focusing and operating the camera. It doesn't have a smooth zoom like your ex3 has and even with a f4 lens focusing will be much harder, fast primes are something I certainly would get but only after you are feeling comfortable with the camera as they are very difficult to maintain focus when wide open, especially on moving objects.

Will you be shooting with only that camera? Many use a small high end handicam for safetyshots in church and the latest models will match up fine with the c100 as long as it's not too dark. The reason why you would use a second safetycamera is that the c100 doesn't operate so easily as the ex3 would, the ex3 is build to shoot eng type of fast moving and changing environments, the c100 will require much more effort to do the same.

John Armando March 15th, 2014 02:46 AM

Thanks Tim and Noa for replying so fast. You guys make sense. Getting the 24-105 is a safe bet and as you say, will ease the transition from the ex3 to the c100. I'll worry about getting other lenses after I become comfortable with the camera.

How's the bokeh with the 24-105? Clients love that blurred background.

Do you guys have experience with the c100? Would anyone know how far I can push the ISO before you start to see grain? I believe this camera has a noise reduction feature as well but I guess you sacrifice sharpness as you decrease noise.

Thanks again!

Robert Benda March 15th, 2014 06:36 AM

For both reach and bokeh, you may want to consider the 70-200 f/2.8

Matt Davis March 15th, 2014 08:11 AM

With the new Dual Pixel Auto Focus mode, and a couple of 'switches' in the C100's menu system, I've now made my peace with the 18-135 lens and whilst it's an annoying plasticy fly by wire lens, it's proved sharp and useful in hand-held run & gun situations.

The 24-105 has lots of fans, including me - but it's not quite the fix for an ex-EX1 user.

I did some tests side by side with the EX1, and I'd say the 18-135 bokeh at f11 exceeded the EX1 at f2.8, and was very pleasant at f8 - setting this lens here stops all the ramping of exposure when you zoom. But f4 it ain't!

John Armando March 15th, 2014 03:40 PM

Matt, I will also be sending my c100 (when I get it) into Canon for that firmware upgrade. Do you find it noisy when it's autofocussing? Will it screw up vital audio shots? How much was the upgrade $500?

Thanks.

Matt Davis March 16th, 2014 02:47 AM

Well, believe it or not, I'm still waiting for my Dual Pixel Auto Focus upgrade - Canon scheduled me for the 31st March (grumble, grumble). I've begged for a 'standby' ticket, but heard nothing yet. Is it really that popular in the UK? It's costing around £340 + 20% VAT (which I can reclaim thankfully) so most UK users who aren't registered for VAT would be paying £408, which I feel it should be said is equivalent to $680 US.

The Auto Focus 'chuckle' from some lenses won't be an issue with the AF adaption because it's not doing contrast detection with all that 'in a bit, out a bit' motor noise. Furthermore, the STM lenses such as the 18-135 are almost silent. You're going to hear more from the slight rumble of the IS system than anything else.

When (!) I've had the C100 taken to the Canon vets, I'll do a 'noise' test (and of course cross check the Sigma story, as that may have put the kybosh on my plans for the 18-35). Sigh, back to the edit suite...

Mervin Langley March 16th, 2014 02:10 PM

I used the Canon 16-35 last night and in a dark reception hall it was a great addition.

Nicholas de Kock March 17th, 2014 04:23 AM

Unfortunately there isn't one lens that will do everything. Here a list of the lenses in my kit & why I have them:

1x Tokina 11-16mm F2.8
For getting establishing shots, like buildings, décor, dress hanging somewhere & for amazing dance footage during reception. I highly recommend this lens, gives a feeling of freedom.

2x Canon 17-55 F2.8 IS
For small rooms on a monopod with low light eg. bridal, groom prep, décor. One for myself & a 2nd for my assistant. First dance because it's F2.8. It's a good lens but because it's not a L lens dust builds up under the glass which is annoying for such an expensive lens!

1x Canon 24-105 F4 IS
Great overall lens but not wide enough for small rooms. I use this for everything if there is enough room. This is my main ceremony lens on the couple from the front gives you enough reach to handle almost any situation. Also the lens I use during the photo session & for the reception.

1x Canon 70-200 F2.8 & F4 IS + 1.4 Extender
These work great for the officiant angle. For big churches the 1.4 extender helps a lot. Used for the speeches during reception. I have both the F2.8 & F4, I tend to use the F4 more mainly because it's so much lighter but with the 1.4 extender light is lost so a F4 lens becomes too slow at F5.6. Great for anything that you need reach on & beautiful DOF!

Lenses I wished I owned is the Sigma 18-35 F1.8 Art series, 35, 50, 85 primes. The ThinkTank modular belt system is amazing for carrying lenses on your belt so you can easily switch between lenses.

Danny O'Neill March 17th, 2014 04:49 AM

Heres our lens bag for the C100. Don't forget, it has a 1.54 crop factor so bear that in mind.

Canon 24-105 f4. The IS is great and the f4 isnt an issue thanks to the C100's near night vision capabilities.

Sigma 35mm f1.4. Our main lens for the day. The f1.4 gives an amazing shallow look when you want it and on the C100 it is the equivilent of a 50mm

70-200 f2.8 IS. LOVE LOVE LOVE this lens. We have a few of them we love them so much. The MK2 version is a lot quieter on the IS and has shockless apeture changes. Lovely bokeh and an awesome all round look.

Canon 16-35 f2.8. Our wide lens and steadicam lens. Love the wideness for Steadicam shots and the ability to punch it in is very useful.

Edward Calabig March 17th, 2014 12:14 PM

Here are my thoughts on wedding lenses from most needed to least for a c100:

I recommend Zeiss over any other brand but they do require manual focusing.

1. 70-200 2.8. This lens will get you through 75% of the day when you're just starting out. 2.8 is crucial to get a nice depth of field during the ceremony versus the f4. I have used a 24-105 during the ceremony and do not like the look it provides (flat and 1 dimensional).

This lens gets you through the first looks, ceremony, and reception.

2. 35mm. A lens of this focal length will be a mainstay during the bridal prep.

3. 50mm. This can be used during the bridal prep to get more detail shots and is an ok lens for speeches. It also works great for dancing footage.

4. 85mm. Great for speeches, first dance, and festivities (cake cutting, bouquet and garter)

5. Canon 24mm or 16-35mm for steadicam/sliding shots. These are great and really prefer them over Tokina's 11-16mm which I think is much too wide and is a pain to deal with outside on sunny days.

I really prefer primes but a good alternative for #2 and #3 would be the Sigma 18-35mm 1.8. It's sharp across all the ranges and apertures and can be great for getting good coverage during the bridal prep without switching lenses. The only reason I don't use it is because I recently picked up a Zeiss 35mm and 50mm.

I recently sold my 24-105 because the bokeh and sharpness is lacking in my opinion for weddings. Here is some footage I used it for last month during the first looks (front angle), ceremony (right side angle), and the reception dancing.

I think it's a great lens when you can construct your scene but it looks "ordinary" during weddings when the subjects and foreground/background may be too close.

Robert Benda March 17th, 2014 12:35 PM

Has anyone used the Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8? It's for crop-factor cameras, like their 18-35mm f/1.8. We're getting a 2nd Canon 70D and I thought they might be a nice option at around $900, and then I can keep our Canon 70-200mm f/2.8s for our 5d Mark iis

I always assume two different shooters will split up, so I'd have two wide lenses:
Either the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 for the 70D (and only $800, great reviews, and works with autofocus)
Or Canon's 16-35mm f/2.8 for full frame (around $1500)

and each of these for each camera I have:
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II
Canon 24-70mm f/2.8

or maybe, with 3 cameras, one of them have a 24-105mm f/4, instead
Then, of course, a macro lens

Wedding Video by RNB Weddings

John Armando March 17th, 2014 10:07 PM

Completely forgot about the crop factor!! Thanks Danny. Lots of great info on this post! Thanks to all.

I keep flipping back and forth if I should get the 24-105 kit lens or not. Factoring in the 1.5 crop factor makes me think if I should just go with the 24-70 f2.8 ver2 which at 70mm will be exactly 105mm on the c100. Then again if I do get the 24-105 as the kit lens, it's $600 (half price). Should I put that money towards something else?? I honestly don't see myself carrying around more than 2 lenses. I usually shoot weddings alone (no second camera).

Here is what I'm getting this Saturday in my package.... Please let me know your thoughts on any of the items:

Canon c100 with 24-105mm f4 IS (unless I change my mind about the lens)
Rode NTG-2 shotgun mic
Manfrotto Monopod MVM500-A (this monopod has feet, pans and tilts)
2 Extra BP-955 batteries (undecided if I should get 2 of these or get the BP-975)

Thanks for everyone's help!!!

John

Nicholas de Kock March 18th, 2014 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Armando (Post 1837303)
2 Extra BP-955 batteries (undecided if I should get 2 of these or get the BP-975)

John definitely get two BP-975 not the BP-955! Two 975 will last a full day & you won't have to worry about charging. If money is an issue get the BP-970G which is much cheaper but doesn't have the LED's on the battery. Get the 24-105 as a kit lens you won't regret it, worth the extra expense & you can always sell it later for more than you paid for it.