Im about to make the jump....HELP! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old May 3rd, 2014, 10:47 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Im about to make the jump....HELP!

Sorry, I maybe should have mentioned but my reply was directed to Matthew.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2014, 12:43 PM   #32
Regular Crew

I'm finding the Canon 15-85mm EFS lens a very useful lens.
Geoff Addis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2014, 05:14 PM   #33
Regular Crew

OK, so how about I go for the Tamron 17-55? £235 from a seller on Amazon? Will this give me a nice wide angle for close interviews? The DOF is really a look that I want to go for.

Thanks
Matthew Stokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 03:02 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Stokes View Post
OK, so how about I go for the Tamron 17-55? £235 from a seller on Amazon? Will this give me a nice wide angle for close interviews? The DOF is really a look that I want to go for.

Thanks
Just make sure it's the top end Tamron 17-50 F2.8 VC. There seems to be a cheaper version with no IS or VC as they call it.
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 12:37 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Stokes View Post
Will this give me a nice wide angle for close interviews?
A wide angle, but possibly not a nice wide angle... :-)

My suggestions:

1) Slow down. Get to know your camera and 24-105 a bit first.

2) You will need a 70-200 IS (2.8 or 4.0 - weight versus speed) sooner than you might think.

3) 17--55 as well as a 24-105? Hmmm, at this stage in your game, I'd say one or the other.

4) Buy L series lenses. If you can't afford them right now, you will be able to soon.

5) Then start looking at 3rd party and more interesting lenses - you'll have your bread and butter collection of life-long lenses and you can just have fun after that.

6) You'll look back in a year's time and remember this thread with a wry smile. Never forget - buy cheap, buy twice. It's an awful cliche. But it's full to the brim with truth.

Ben.
Ben Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 03:25 AM   #36
Major Player

I use the 24-105 and the 18-135 and they're both great lenses for the c100s. As for the Canon 85 1.8, it's long been one of my favourites. Somehow it sprinkles faerie dust on my pics on the 5D3 and there's just something about it on the C100 for video that looks great.

I also have the Rokinon 85 1.4 which seems sharper, but I still prefer the canon.
Old May 16th, 2014, 12:20 AM   #37
Major Player

I'm with Ben on a lot of this....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Giles View Post
A wide angle, but possibly not a nice wide angle... :-)

My suggestions:

1) Slow down. Get to know your camera and 24-105 a bit first.
Amen.
2) You will need a 70-200 IS (2.8 or 4.0 - weight versus speed) sooner than you might think.
Yep. Owning the f4 I would recommend the 2.8.
3) 17--55 as well as a 24-105? Hmmm, at this stage in your game, I'd say one or the other.
Wider is better IMHO. I own the 16-35 Canon.

4) Buy L series lenses. If you can't afford them right now, you will be able to soon.
Totally Agreed. Fabulous lenses.

5) Then start looking at 3rd party and more interesting lenses - you'll have your bread and butter collection of life-long lenses and you can just have fun after that.
Correct.

6) You'll look back in a year's time and remember this thread with a wry smile. Never forget - buy cheap, buy twice. It's an awful cliche. But it's full to the brim with truth.
Having bought cheap more times than I wish, I agree. Just do it right the first time. Your lenses are your real investment, not the camera.

Ben.
By the way, if you don't buy the 16-35 I'd seriously think of spending the money on the 14mm 2.8. You will find it useful in many tight quarters with either the 5D or the C100. I've shot on boats, which are always tight, small rooms with lots of people in them, and that overhead shot that sets the scene.
Old May 17th, 2014, 01:26 PM   #38
Major Player

I don't have a C100 (yet) but I have a fair amount of experience with Canon glass. I concur with the recommendation of L glass, with the exception that I would recommend the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS over the EF 24-105 f/4.0L IS. I have owned both. For the C100 sensor size, the 17-55 should be perfect. It is "L" quality in image, but not in build quality. When I moved from crop DSLRs to full frame DSLRs I sold my 17-55, but if I get a C100, I would get another one immediately.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 10:39 PM   #39
Major Player

The other non "L" which I recommend (and still own) is the Tokina 11-16. Apparently there is now a Cinema version ( metal body, geared rings, de-stopped aperture, etc.).
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 02:43 PM   #40
Major Player

the tamron 17-50 is vc is a bit tedious to work with as the focus ring goes in the opposite direction to canon lenses. on my one the zoom is pretty stiff too which makes reframing not as swift as one would want. in saying that it's good value to get started before buying something better
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems