DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   C100: How loud is your fan? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/522791-c100-how-loud-your-fan.html)

John Steele April 15th, 2014 06:21 PM

C100: How loud is your fan?

Hey Guys,

Had my C100 for just over a week now, set the fan to auto and it's not come on yet but it obviously comes on when in media mode, my fan has a little bit of bearing noise and isn't totally silent, you do have to stick your ear to the camera to hear it, just wondering about others experience. It's not something I want to do anything about as the camera works perfectly and it's unlikely to really cause me an issue but just curious on other C100's fan noise. Totally silent or not?

Thanks.

John.

Nicholas de Kock April 15th, 2014 08:40 PM

Re: C100: How loud is your fan?

Mine is not totally silent, I do hear it when I put the camera close to my ear but I doubt a mic will pick it up.

Dave Partington April 16th, 2014 02:06 AM

It's not hugely loud, but it's loud enough that it would spoil recordings if it ever came on.

Andy Wilkinson April 16th, 2014 11:35 AM

My C100 sounds about the same as the one Nicholas has, from his description. I doubt any on-board mic would pick up the fan noise of my C100 - unless I decided to use an on-camera mounted mic in a very, VERY quiet room - and that would only happen if I forgot my mic stands/cables/boom pole/radio mics etc…and then, even worse, I enabled AGC so the noise floor got pumped up during quiet periods!!!

Obviously, the only times I camera mount a microphone is for run-n-gun shooting - and there is usually so much "other stuff" going on in the audio environment that any C100 fan noise is not going to be a factor, at all. Indeed, any shotgun I use in run-n-gun (usually my short AT875R or my Rode NTG-3) is more likely to pick up some Image Stabilisation (IS) noises from the lens - especially from the loudest of my crop of lenses, the otherwise truly lovely Canon 70-200mm F4 IS.

If what you hear from your fan does not fit my above description then maybe you have a faulty unit? Hopefully, all is well though - so enjoy the C100 John...and before you ask, yes the LCD is very blue in hue, does flicker a bit sometimes (but it's not in the footage!), make sure you get your NLE to interpret PsF clips as progressive, the EVF is a bit naff etc. But otherwise it's a pretty lovely tool for getting a great image!

John Steele April 16th, 2014 06:59 PM

Thanks guys :)

My fan might be a little louder than described above but as you guys have said, unlikely to really cause an issue and when I say a little louder I do have my ear pressed against the side of the camera so it might just be me ;)

Thanks for the tips Andy, I was blown away by the image the first time I viewed it, better than any camera i've owned before :)

John.

Nicholas de Kock April 18th, 2014 03:51 AM

Mind you my fan never goes on unless I turn it on manually or go into media mode.

Buba Kastorski April 22nd, 2014 06:13 PM

C100's fan noise is at absolutely acceptable level even in 'ON' position, on 'Auto' it's very quite, you need to hear Epic's fan when you stop recording, but that's what i would expect from C100 too - ability to quite the fan down during recording, but not a big deal, it is very quite anyways

Darren Levine April 22nd, 2014 06:59 PM

Similar here, mine does make a noise but i've never considered it an issue and never heard it in a recording