Help with 1DC Line Level Recording at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old April 22nd, 2014, 10:52 AM   #1
New Boot

Help with 1DC Line Level Recording

I am trying to track down info on the 1DC line level recording. I just bought a 1DC with the line level upgraded firmware and I can't get the line level recording to work. I am able to set the camera to line level and I am able to set levels for line level recording and monitor the sound through the headphones and see the levels on the display. As soon as I start recording, however, I lose all sound through the headphones and the levels drop to zero and sound is not recorded. If I stop recording, I need to make an adjustment to the sound level before I can monitor sound again. In manual and auto mic modes, I can record sound through the mic input and everything operates normally. The fact that the sound only cuts out when the camera starts recording indicates to me that this is a firmware issue and not a mechanical issue. It might be that the software is resetting the sound levels or switching to a different mode when recording is started. If it was a mechanical issue, I would assume that I would not ever be able to monitor or adjust the line level signal. Has anybody on this forum managed to get line level recording to work on the 1DC?
Casey Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 02:27 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Help with 1DC Line Level Recording

Just checked with my 1Dc.. exactly the same issue. Disappointing, perhaps Canon forgot to check if the line-in function with the 1.3.4 firmware update actually works!
Chris Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 09:14 AM   #3
New Boot

Yes. So far I haven't found anybody that can confirm that line level recording works. Canon Cinema Support reports that they have no precedent for people contacting them with my problem, but as far as I can tell nobody has ever tried to use the line level recording feature.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 10:33 AM   #4
Regular Crew

A bit annoying a camera as expensive as the 1Dc has this problem. Canon made quite a bit of noise about it being an important update feature last year. Maybe it doesn't affect all the 1Dcs out there or perhaps people are not bothering to use the line level option. Hopefully will be addressed in a future firmware update.
Old April 25th, 2014, 01:47 PM   #5
New Boot

Chris, I've sorted out the issue with Canon tech support. It is a firmware issue. As soon as recording is started, the line level signal cuts out. It isn't a problem with the camera. There is a way around the problem. Once recording is started, you can go into the q menu, select sound level, and reset the sound level so that the line level signal will actually be recorded. It's a ridiculous solution to the problem and I'm sure that Canon messed up the firmware, but that is all Canon could offer. It made me lose faith in them as a reliable company.
Old April 25th, 2014, 11:22 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Ridiculous indeed! Seems like very sloppy management of firmware development. Canon don't seem to be very interested in looking after customers who bought the 1Dc.
Old June 1st, 2014, 10:54 AM   #7
New Boot

While it hasn't been listed on the Canon web site, I heard that Canon has finally released an update of their firmware that includes a fix for the line level issue.
Casey Preston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems