C100 buying in US for UK at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old April 29th, 2014, 04:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

C100 buying in US for UK

Hi everyone,

I've been looking to buy a Canon C100 for a while now. I was about to buy recently when I was told I have to travel to the NYC for a couple of jobs next month. I've checked prices and there is an almost £900 difference if you buy in the UK!!!!!!
I know that you lose your warranty, etc.....but I'm just after reassurance/advice that this is a bad or good idea?
anyone here has done it?
I guess you can change the video system from NTSC to PAL as you do on DSLRs?
Is there anything I haven't thought about?

thanks in advance!
Guillermo Ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 06:11 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: C100 buying in US for UK

Off the top of my head:

Pros:

- £ is strong against the $ right now
- C100 spec is the same in USA and UK
- You might be able to get the version with DPAF included - not yet available in the UK, AFAIK.

Cons:

- You'll have to smuggle the box back in your suitcase, otherwise they'll hit you for import duty and VAT, after which the UK price will look very attractive.
- You won't appreciate the value of the UK warranty unless you have to use it
- US headline prices are ex-tax (add 4.5% for NYC, I think)
- Canon checked that ours was a UK model before doing the DPAF upgrade - I'm not sure they'd do it otherwise.
- You won't get CP quick-turnaround support. Where will you rent another body, while you send yours off for repair?

Might be worth calling UK Canon service centres and seeing what your options are with a USA-registered product. You can then weigh up risks vs benefits.

Ben.
Ben Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 10:06 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Giles View Post
- US headline prices are ex-tax (add 4.5% for NYC, I think)
Last time I was in B&H NYC was around the 9% mark, so that makes it even worse.

Honestly, when ever I've done the calculations lately the US price has not been sufficiently different to make me want to chance customs and/or lose the warranty.
Old April 29th, 2014, 12:48 PM   #4
Major Player

I can almost guarantee that at some point during its lifespan you will need to use the warranty. Or if you import wish you had a warranty.

And when you do need a repair it will no doubt still cost less than if you bought it in the uk but you won't get the super fast turn around

Each of our dslrs had to go in for repair at some point. I would drop it off on Monday and get it back by Thursday, just in time for our next shoot.

We have one camera which was a grey import (which we didn't know at the time). Took it to canon for a dead pixel and they said it was counterfeit due to some serial number fudging. Had to send it off to someone else and it took 3 weeks to get back.
Old April 29th, 2014, 03:22 PM   #5
Major Player

The warranty only lasts a year, a service centre being paid to do work to a camera will not turn it away because the camera did not originate from the UK. I've bought various items over the years from the US and I still got CPS support. Is that not the point of CPS to support Canon professionals regardless of where they are in the world?

John.
John Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 04:04 PM   #6
Major Player

There currently offering 2 years for European models.
Old May 1st, 2014, 09:37 AM   #7
Regular Crew

thanks for your comments guys.

The US price sounds very attractive but i hadn't considered taxes and I was planning to buy the camera at B&H so I guess that puts a damper on my idea.
I guess i will have to bite the bullet and buy it here.
I think that it'll be different for lenses, I might get a couple over there
Guillermo Ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 03:50 PM   #8
Major Player

Looks like a uk model is now only £3800.
Old May 1st, 2014, 04:20 PM   #9
Trustee

Within the US a way to USUALLY avoid local and state sales taxes one buys the item from another state. I say "usually" because some companies will collect sales tax when there is an agreement between them and the state. Normally this is with companies that have offices in the state that wants to collect the tax.

So, if one is going to, say New York for example, they could buy the item from another state and have it shipped to their NY address and duck the tax. There can be complications for a traveler, though, if the shipping isn't timely, or if there is damage to the item in transit, or if it is DOA (Dead on Arrival). The details should be discussed with the seller. They could use extra cushioning when packaging the item, box within a box for example.

Nevertheless, it's a lot of effort to save some cash so it comes down to risk and reward.

One may use this as a bargaining chip with a local seller and see how it goes. On the other hand, the local seller could get upset but it is your money and the seller wants as much of it as they can get.
John Nantz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems