Hot swapping lenses, one more time... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old May 14th, 2014, 09:11 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Hot swapping lenses, one more time...

For anyone wondering what a hot swap looks like while recording on the C100 here is an example going from 70-200 to 17-55. Notice that the camera didn't catch fire.

Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 07:02 AM   #17
Trustee

So you frequently hot swap and continue recording? That's a pretty fast change over with no audio interruption at all.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 02:59 PM   #18
Major Player

Marty during speeches & live events I'll hot swap while recording, audio was sent to the camera wireless from the desk so no on-camera for that angle. I only have two C100's one will be a stable & the other (me) will be roaming. I like to get close-up's of people but I also need wide shots to establish atmosphere so I'll switch between lenses (telephoto & wide) while shooting. The swap itself it pretty quick while recording to minimize interruption, I'll pull out a lens from my belt pouch, swap & drop the replaced lens in the pouch. The manual says don't do it & I'm not saying that it's safe but over the past year I've done it hundreds of times with no negative side effects so personally I feel confident with hot swaps.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 03:33 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas de Kock View Post
For anyone wondering what a hot swap looks like while recording on the C100 here is an example going from 70-200 to 17-55. Notice that the camera didn't catch fire.
That could be a pretty cool effect...obviously, you've done it quite a bit. I have little intention of powering off to switch lenses - however, one thing I found that dramatically reduced the number of swaps needed was a second camera. Even then, though, you occasionally need to, though I have given up using the 70-200 for weddings. If 105 isn't close enough, I move.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems