DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   Transcoding for AE and FCPX- What's best? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/523428-transcoding-ae-fcpx-whats-best.html)

Andrew Maclaurin May 26th, 2014 08:43 AM

Transcoding for AE and FCPX- What's best?

So far I've been letting FCPX transcode but I've been finding the old PsF to progressive buggy. I have to keep checking and changing to progressive.
I have a project that I'm going to do a lot of work in AE before finishing in FCPX. I'd like to work in ProRes so what would be the best program to transcode the footage and have progressive set so I don't have to deal with the PsF problems (specially as I'll be using 2 programs to edit)?

Wayne Avanson May 26th, 2014 10:21 AM

Re: Transcoding for AE and FCPX- What's best?

I use Clipwrap to transcode the files to ProRes422 for FCPX Works fine for me.

Andrew Maclaurin May 26th, 2014 10:25 AM

Hi wayne, can you set the footage to be proper progressive with clip wrap?

Drew Curran May 26th, 2014 02:06 PM

Hi Andrew
Yes Clipwrap will help FCPx to correctly interpret the footage as progressive. So no more having the change the setting in FCPx.

Andrew Maclaurin May 27th, 2014 01:07 AM

Thanks, Drew, would that be the same for After Effects?

Matt Davis May 27th, 2014 06:41 AM

PMJI with my usual clarion call for 5DtoRGB, but it does help both the Progressive Fields thing and also does a useful amount of smoothing on the Chroma channel - making it somewhere between AVCHD and ProRes (not really, but it actually does help strong reds).

5DtoRGB by Rarevision

There's a free version and a very affordable batch version. Mac and Windows.

Drew Curran June 4th, 2014 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Maclaurin (Post 1846685)

I don't use AE for much other than some camera tracking and titles etc so I can't say if ClipWrap will help for direct import. I generally export a ProRes clip of a region on the timeline in FCPx to import in to AE.

Justin Molush June 4th, 2014 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Maclaurin (Post 1846685)

AE can handle C300 footage natively as far as I know. Unfortunately the drive with my last C300 shot talking heads isnt here or I would check real quick.

Bill Scherer June 13th, 2014 10:02 AM

I found getting something like a Ninja 2 took care of all my problems and really speeds up post production. A recorder like that takes you from 8bit 4-2-0 to ProRes 10bit 4-2-2 220 Mbps which really helps in AE and green screen. When finished, ust pull out the drive and load the ProRes files into your project. They now run about $800 with drive and also make a decent monitor. The negative is they are bulky.