C300 - Quick Test of new Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS USM Lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old July 2nd, 2014, 08:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

C300 - Quick Test of new Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS USM Lens

All handheld. All @ 23.97, 180 deg. shutter, 16mm, and with IS on. Graded C-log.

Lens looks to live up to the MTF charts, it's very sharp. IS is very smooth, not jerky at all. Only seemed to make a slight sound when turned on or turned off.

Blog post w/more info: Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS USM Lens – Video Test | Learning to See .
Old July 18th, 2014, 03:29 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: C300 - Quick Test of new Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS USM Lens

Awesome - I ordered one of these 2 days ago based on the mtf charts, sample chart pics. and a couple trusted reviews, should have it in my hands after the weekend, but will be stuck for the time being using it with a 60d until I get back to my c300 and full frame in a few weeks. been wanting a sharp wide lens - was getting close to grabbing a zeiss as canon really lacks in the wide&sharp department - looking forward to using it - though a little faster would certainly have been nice, but at least it still looks good wide open (not having to stop an f4 lens down to 8 to use it) & at all focal lengths and I think it's the f4 that's keeping the price reasonable.

phil

Edit - the footage looks good - there does seem to be a little distortion at 16mm - but that's not unexpected. And the handheld/IS holds up well - despite the reviews stating otherwise - though being at 16mm certainly helps.

Last edited by Phil Douglas; July 18th, 2014 at 10:13 PM.
Phil Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 08:19 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: C300 - Quick Test of new Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS USM Lens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Douglas View Post
Awesome - I ordered one of these 2 days ago based on the mtf charts, sample chart pics. and a couple trusted reviews, should have it in my hands after the weekend, but will be stuck for the time being using it with a 60d until I get back to my c300 and full frame in a few weeks. been wanting a sharp wide lens - was getting close to grabbing a zeiss as canon really lacks in the wide&sharp department - looking forward to using it - though a little faster would certainly have been nice, but at least it still looks good wide open (not having to stop an f4 lens down to 8 to use it) & at all focal lengths and I think it's the f4 that's keeping the price reasonable.

phil

Edit - the footage looks good - there does seem to be a little distortion at 16mm - but that's not unexpected. And the handheld/IS holds up well - despite the reviews stating otherwise - though being at 16mm certainly helps.
Yes, still a little distortion but also slightly less than the 16-35 f/2.8 II lens and less at both ends; wide/barrel, zoomed in/pincushion.

And yes, it does look good wide open - something the 16-35 f/2.8 I or II never did except maybe for photojournalistic stills, where it was acceptable. The 16-34 f/2.8 1 & II needed to be at ~f/5.6 - f/8 for people, f/11 or more for architecture and for that 16mm~19mm was still suspect. Depending upon the camera body the corners would still be mushy.

It's a different kind of thing but if you want the sharpest and least distortion Canon wide angles the 17mm TSE and 24mm TSE II are the way to go.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems