DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   24p vs 24Pf (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/524694-24p-vs-24pf.html)

Kevin Lewis August 27th, 2014 02:30 PM

24p vs 24Pf

There is lots of info on this subject but nothing I found is giving me clear clarification. With the C100 is there any advantage to shooting 24pf instead of 24p if the final product will be delivered on DVD? Also does the answer change if i'm delivering on Blue Ray? When should I use one over the other?

Walter Brokx August 28th, 2014 06:14 AM

Re: 24p vs 24Pf

Hmmm, good question.

Maybe in 24pF the rendering of the DVD is faster as a 3-2-pull down 60i version doesn't have to be interpolated?

Gary Huff August 28th, 2014 08:31 AM

You should never shoot 24PF for any reason.

Josh Bass August 29th, 2014 03:14 AM

Why do you say that?

Gary Huff August 29th, 2014 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Bass (Post 1859495)
Why do you say that?

There is no possible scenario in which you need to shoot 24p with 3:2 pulldown in 60i. And to get the interlacing out of it, you HAVE to do a pulldown removal, and too many people don't know how to do this and end up de-interlacing, which HALVES your resolution.

Josh Bass August 29th, 2014 02:53 PM

So is 24psf like the old 24p (or maybe im mixing it ip with advanced mode) on a dvx? The one meant to be used in a 29.97 timeline? If so, one could argue that a reason to use it is if you know youll be integrating with 60i material.

Gary Huff August 29th, 2014 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Bass (Post 1859558)
If so, one could argue that a reason to use it is if you know youll be integrating with 60i material.

That's not actually a reason. First, you're going to have an overriding sequence setting, either 24p or 60i. Regardless of where you start, you'll end up either exporting 24p or 60i, and your NLE will take care of that for you. And since you are the one shooting, if you're ultimately going to 60i, then shoot in 60i, not 24PF.

Second, as has been stated before, the 99% likely scenario is that you are mastering 1080p24 for the web, in which case there is simply too much de-interlacing of improperly shot 24PF when it should have a pulldown removal process applied, which, currently, is pretty much only done in CinemaTools from Final Cut Studio 2/3 and After Effects.

There are too many C100 videos that look like crap because they were shot 24PF and improperly handled in post.

Just don't do it.

Josh Bass August 29th, 2014 09:28 PM

Cool beans.

Kevin Lewis August 30th, 2014 01:57 PM

Gary, does this also apply to the 30"pf" mode on the c100 or is it only applicable to 24pf? Can I assume that shooting 30pf is the basically the same as 30p?. From what I can tell, the only difference between the 30f and 30pf, is that I have to change the properties of the file from interpaced to progressive in Sony Vegas Pro.

Rainer Listing August 30th, 2014 04:29 PM

If I can just step in ahead of Gary - who is totally correct - 30pf is theoretically the same as 30p and all you should need to do is tell Vega it's progressive. But in practice I don't think it works that way. Somehow Vegas seems to mess up HD psf footage. You can easily try it yourself - shoot a few clips of some fast action psf footage and have a look at it. I think it's a problem in Vegas. There's likely to be something weird going on with the cadence - not every clip. Doesn't seem to happen with PP, but easiest is never to shoot psf footage. Can't recall that this was an issue with my old XL2, which also stored psf.

Gary Huff August 30th, 2014 10:10 PM

Unfortunately 30PF is the only option for 30p on the C100. I have expressed to Canon reps that a firmware update is sorely needed to remove both PF options from the camera and allow only 24p, 30p, and 60i (and while they are at it, there's no reason there can't be 720p60 either).

Both 24PF and 30PF are "true" 23.976 progressive and 29.97 progressive, it's just that the frames are blended into a 60i stream and must be "decoded" as such, and that's where pulldown removal comes into play.

For 24PF, you can get a pure 24p stream out of it, but it requires 3:2 pulldown removal, which is complicated because it involves picking the correct cycle for rebuilding the true frames. This is why the application support for it is limited (CinemaTools or After Effects). I accidentally shot one project in that mode when I first got my hands on the camera and processed all the footage in AE to remove the pulldown.

30PF utliizes 2:2 pulldown, which is much easier to deal with. All NLEs can do it, though some have trouble detecting that the C100 30PF mode is actually progressive. Because of this, I always use ClipWrap (on OSX) with internal C100 recording as it will correctly remove the 2:2 pulldown and leave the AVCHD format intact (and make individual .MOV files).

Ideally, just shoot to an Atomos device (Ninja-2/Blade/Shogun) and you can set it to automatically remove the pulldown while recording so that you have a pure 24p and 30p video file (out of the HDMI port, all footage is wrapped in 60i).

Matt Davis August 31st, 2014 05:34 AM

So, with a bit of head scratching, brow furrowing... C100 specific:

24P - puts 24 frames per second (actually 23.97fps but never mind) down to the SDHC card using AVCHD in true progressive mode with no confusion by most NLEs over the 'interlaced' thing (though IIRC, I still had to do that in FCPX). No tears at bedtime.

24PF - puts 24 frames per second into a 60i stream, 60i is HDMI friendly, so if 24p is recording to a NInja or Pix, you want 24PF... But heaven help you if you want to put 24PF AVCHD onto a timeline, unless you do the 3:2 pulldown removal in something like Compressor whilst converting to ProRes. Erm, yes?

24P for AVCHD users, PF24 for Ninja users. Pix users are a special case.

Either way, it's all 23.97fps really (sending most readers scampering for the trees).

If anyone would like a Compressor droplet to convert C100 24PF AVCHD to 24P ProRes (actually 23.97), just shout. Sigh.

Gary Huff August 31st, 2014 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Davis (Post 1859688)
24P - puts 24 frames per second (actually 23.97fps but never mind) down to the SDHC card using AVCHD in true progressive mode with no confusion by most NLEs over the 'interlaced' thing (though IIRC, I still had to do that in FCPX). No tears at bedtime.

Yes, purely progressive signal, no interlacing at all in 24P mode.

Quote:

24PF - puts 24 frames per second into a 60i stream, 60i is HDMI friendly, so if 24p is recording to a NInja or Pix, you want 24PF.
Not necessary. I never shoot PF24 and I almost always use a Ninja Blade. No matter what setting you pick, 60i is *always* going out of the HDMI port (for compatibility with monitors and it's possible DigicDV III cannot process a SDI/HDMI PSF signal to send out as the C300 does exactly this as well with both SDI and HDMI).

If you leave the camera set to 24P, then you get true progressive 23.976 AVCHD and the Ninja will perform on-the-fly 3:2 pulldown to give you true progressive ProRes.

Quote:

But heaven help you if you want to put 24PF AVCHD onto a timeline, unless you do the 3:2 pulldown removal in something like Compressor whilst converting to ProRes. Erm, yes?
Exactly that. Apparently Compressor 4 can also remove pulldown, but I don't think that was the case originally. Should work now, but it does require a transcode, which I try to avoid.

Quote:

24P for AVCHD users, PF24 for Ninja users. Pix users are a special case.
24P for everyone. Never ever shoot PF24, there is no reason to. Both the Pix and the Ninja Blade do on-the-fly 3:2 pulldown removal, so the setup is exactly the same.

Set your frame rate to 24P, set Pix and Ninja Blade to 1080p23.976. Blade is automatic, Pix may require an extra step to initiate 3:2 pulldown, but that's all you need.

Matt Davis September 2nd, 2014 06:39 AM

Hmm - interesting about the Ninja Blade and P24.

When I checked the Blade with P24 off the C100, I waited a good 2 minutes to get a lock, and it didn't (even with that patient 'slow waggle') and a few times the Blade just locked up. 'Fine' I thought. 'It does intelligent 3:2 pulldown, what's it like with PF24?' Locks up in 10 seconds.

Sure, the AVCHD 'backup' footage was going to be a bit of a pain if I needed it, but I didn't want my primary source blinking out of record during a take (memories of the first Ninja units and my primary reason for buying a Pix).

So, if I need 24p at 4:2:2, I've used PF24 as it's been a quick and reliable lock from the Ninja, a bit of a PITA if I ever had to go with AVCHD, but I'd live with that rather than the risk of a dropped record.

But on your recommendation, I've persevered with P24 on the Ninja, and although it took 2 mins for it to not blink out, it's been going steadily for 20 mins now. I think, TBH, if I were in a hurry, I'd still look at 24PF for the Ninja and probably the Star (I don't own a star yet, but would be testing for speed and reliability of lock with both modes). My vote goes for the fastest and most reliable signal for an Atomos product to latch onto. :-)

Gary Huff September 2nd, 2014 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Davis (Post 1859893)
But on your recommendation, I've persevered with P24 on the Ninja, and although it took 2 mins for it to not blink out, it's been going steadily for 20 mins now. I think, TBH, if I were in a hurry, I'd still look at 24PF for the Ninja and probably the Star (I don't own a star yet, but would be testing for speed and reliability of lock with both modes).

Then something is wrong, either with your HDMI connection, your media, or you haven't updated the firmware of your Blade.

I never set PF24. I shot 24P in camera, the Blade locks into the 3:2 cadence nearly instantaneously and I don't have issues with it blinking out.

I have the Star and it works exactly the same way.

Jeffrey Fuchs September 2nd, 2014 07:48 AM

I had one of my videographers shoot a wedding in 24pf with his main camera and 24p with his other 2 cameras. What do you guy suggest I do? What are my options? I edit in Premier CS6.

So, the way I see it I can do the following.

- Edit all the footage in a 60i timeline
- Edit all the footage in a 24P timeline (it does not look that good on my screen in Premiere)
- Convert the 24pf footage in After Effects to 24P? (How do I so this) And edit all the footage in a 24P timeline in Premiere

Thanks for your help!

Matt Davis September 2nd, 2014 08:12 AM

Quote:

Then something is wrong, either with your HDMI connection, your media, or you haven't updated the firmware of your Blade.
Latest software (especially after 2:2 pulldown debacle), media is on list of known-good SSDs (SanDisk Extreme 3), HDMI is Apple HDMI cable, known good. 10 sec lock-up on PF24, 2 min lock-up on P24 - I can only report my experiences. The same lock-up times for PF25, PF24 and PF30, takes ages with P24. If you achieve better, you are truly blessed.

I will say this, though: HDMI relies too much on voodou and luck (that strange handshake between devices). HD-SDI just fricken' works. I've never, ever (EVER) had to unplug both ends of a connection and swap them with HD-SDI. It's funny how this is the first line of problem solving with HDMI.

There's a flag inside the Canon HDMI and AVCHD stream that says 'I am progressive'. All I'll say is that they sure ain't got that right with AVCHD, and my experience is that they sure ain't got that reliable in a short space of time with HDMI. There's something about the Canon progressive Mojo that's never been quite right.

Gary Huff September 2nd, 2014 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Davis (Post 1859900)
I've never, ever (EVER) had to unplug both ends of a connection and swap them with HD-SDI.

I have never done this with HDMI, outside of a 15' cable that had to be plugged in a certain way (a speciic connector had to be plugged into the device that was sending the signal).

Since everything you have told me seems correct, I would replace the Apple cable. I have one, barely use it. I have had great success with the Monoprice thin HDMI 3' cable, and with PerfectPath cables, though the heads on the connectors are rather large, which is why I prefer the Monprice.

I have shot hours without losing connection or cadence.

It may also be possible that you have a defective Blade. Had to send mine in to get replaced once the touchscreen stopped working after the unit had been in operation for an hour or so. It would still record just fine, so I thankfully didn't lose anything, but I couldn't do anything else with it.

Rainer Listing September 2nd, 2014 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey Fuchs (Post 1859899)
- Edit all the footage in a 24P timeline (it does not look that good on my screen in Premiere)

Leaving aside that it's now almost never a good idea to shoot 24fps anything, can you be more specific about "it does not look that good"? In my experience with Premiere, which admittedly wasn't the latest version, it seemed to handle 24pf pretty well (Vegas not so much, but perhaps I was just lucky) and you could just put it all onto a 24p timeline. If you're getting cadence errors with the 24pf, it can be a nightmare to sort out, and the errors probably won't be in every clip. The easiest is to drop half the fields from each clip, but it's obviously not the best since you halve the resolution.

Gary Huff September 2nd, 2014 06:14 PM

Premiere does not remove 3:2 pulldown, so if you shoot PF24 and deinterlace it's going to halve the resolution of the video.

Joshua Guerci August 4th, 2015 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Huff (Post 1859576)

There are too many C100 videos that look like crap because they were shot 24PF and improperly handled in post.

Just don't do it.

Lets say you did do it by accident... how do you fix it? :(

Gary Huff August 5th, 2015 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshua Guerci (Post 1894274)
Lets say you did do it by accident... how do you fix it? :(

You import in After Effects, Interpret Footage->Main, and click on Guess 3:2 Pulldown under Fields and Pulldown. Then export it into your format of choice. You'll have to do this with each individual clip.