DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   C100 and handholding (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/525437-c100-handholding.html)

Kathy Smith October 17th, 2014 02:21 PM

C100 and handholding

I'd like to try shooting handheld using my C100. What's the best way to go about it, shoulder mount? Or something else?

Eddy Yazbeck October 17th, 2014 03:26 PM

Re: C100 and handholding

the best rig to have is simply a monopod, Manfrotto 561 BHDV has been my weapon of choice for years, this thing beats any shoulder rig or any handheld setup, especially with the tilt and pan features.

otherwise i would suggest using 24-105 with IS on, installing an eyecup on the c100 and shooting with the eyecup pressed against your face.

Kathy Smith October 17th, 2014 04:28 PM

Thanks, I do have a monopod and love it. I wasn't sure if there was a better way of doing this. What if I wanted follow focus?

Michael Thames October 17th, 2014 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathy Smith (Post 1865271)
Thanks, I do have a monopod and love it. I wasn't sure if there was a better way of doing this. What if I wanted follow focus?

A monopod doesn't help much if you are walking around, it's only good stationary..... might just as well use a tripod.

I took a monopod with me to India this year..... I had a hellava time using the follow focus, and zoom together while trying to hold the monopod still. When I got to Thailand I left the damn thing in the hotel room so I didn't have to bring it home with me.

Other than that, Phillip Bloom had a nice set up in his revere of the C100.

Eddy Yazbeck October 17th, 2014 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Thames (Post 1865273)
A monopod doesn't help much if you are walking around, it's only good stationary..... might just as well use a tripod.

I took a monopod with me to India this year..... I had a hellava time using the follow focus, and zoom together while trying to hold the monopod still. When I got to Thailand I left the damn thing in the hotel room so I didn't have to bring it home with me.

The weight and the vertical inertia of the monopod makes it much steadier than handheld while walking ,most of time when I use it it's fully closed and standing n my thigh im able to zoom and focus with my left hand very easily and fast , I find a follow focus is usless while runing and guning handheld.

Matt Davis October 18th, 2014 08:16 AM

P+S Technik recently had a go at redefining the monopod:

ProShot DSLR Rig 1192

The trouble with this is, and monopods in general, is that with a C100 it's going to be top-heavy.

A super-light monopod stuffed into a shoulder-strap 'ceremonial flag holder' thing is still an oldie but a goodie that's worth considering. You can, with a stiff enough monopod, do some faux crane stuff and just about squeeze off a few high shots by shooting almost blind.

However, getting an extra 1 meter of height makes such a difference - hence the press-shooter's favourite: the small ultralight step-ladder. LOL

Michael Thames October 18th, 2014 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddy Yazbeck (Post 1865286)
The weight and the vertical inertia of the monopod makes it much steadier than handheld while walking ,most of time when I use it it's fully closed and standing n my thigh im able to zoom and focus with my left hand very easily and fast , I find a follow focus is usless while runing and guning handheld.

For me even holding it still trying balance it, and operating the zoom and focus was more than I could bare..... if I had one extra arm then it would have worked for me..... but I only have two.

I learned a trick with my 5D3........ put the strap on around your neck, then pull it tight using the camera..... the strap pulled tight around your neck helps stabilize the camera to an amazing degree...... however you still can;t do much with the zoom and follow focus.

Kathy Smith October 19th, 2014 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Thames (Post 1865273)

I disagree with this. Ever since getting my monopod I don't even touch my tripod (unless I am shooting an interview or something that I don't need to move around). It's easy to move around (no legs collapsing, fits everywhere, I can get a variety of shots). Not sure what kind of tripod you are using but I think what makes it so great is the little three legs on the bottom. I almost never zoom while shooting, though.

Michael Thames October 19th, 2014 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddy Yazbeck (Post 1865286)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathy Smith (Post 1865357)
I disagree with this. Ever since getting my monopod I don't even touch my tripod (unless I am shooting an interview or something that I don't need to move around). It's easy to move around (no legs collapsing, fits everywhere, I can get a variety of shots). Not sure what kind of tripod you are using but I think what makes it so great is the little three legs on the bottom. I almost never zoom while shooting, though.

Mine didn't have the three feet at the bottom it was strictly a pole. B&H through it in the deal when I bought my 5D3 last year. It was at the bottom of the pole when it comes to monopods.

I seems as you said you already have a monopod so your question is obviously about something else. Phillip Bloom has a great solution at 13:30 into the video. Don't know the cost, but I hope it's more affordable than Matt Davies $1200 wonder-pod!

Noa Put October 20th, 2014 01:18 AM

Quote:

Phillip Bloom has a great solution at 13:30 into the video. Don't know the cost, but I hope it's more affordable than Matt Davies $1200 wonder-pod!
Well, he says "zacuto" and while their products are of excellent quality they are also covered with a layer of gold, must be at these prizes they charge :)

Michael Thames October 20th, 2014 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1865431)
Well, he says "zacuto" and while their products are of excellent quality they are also covered with a layer of gold, must be at these prizes they charge :)

Well that's when you should hit ebay and find a Chinese made alternative, but at least it gives you an idea.

Kathy Smith January 15th, 2015 10:28 AM

I'm back asking the same question. Let's say you are not allowed to use a monopod or a tripod what's the best stabilization method for hand holding the C100? Any other new ideas?

Paul Ekert January 15th, 2015 03:01 PM

Shoulder/stock type brace on a basic rail system?

Eric C. Petrie January 15th, 2015 03:08 PM

This has been my personal favorite solution for the last year or more. It's light weight, super flexible, gets the grip in the right spot. Zacuto has just come out with the 3rd generation Recoil stuff too. The plates are a little bigger but allow for even more flexibility. What do you think of the rig in the video? Do you think it might meet your needs?

Eric Petrie
provideoandtape.com
Lease the Canon C100 for $129 a month
Lease the Sony FS7 for $248 a month

Kathy Smith January 21st, 2015 05:11 AM

Thank you, that Zacuto recoil looks great except the price tag, haha.