Importing clips from the C100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old October 18th, 2014, 09:23 PM   #1
Major Player

Importing clips from the C100

I just got the C100 and a Ninja Blade, I'm waiting for the recommended Hard drive to arrive in the mail so I can begin to use the Ninja. In the meantime I'm wondering about the correct way to import clips into FCPX.

I've recently heard of the problem of FCPX has with AVCHD codec. I imported the clips via the USB cable using Data import utility then transcoded them using 5DtoRGB.

Is this a good way to do it?
Michael Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2014, 09:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Importing clips from the C100

Here's some info that may be helpful!

Troy Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 12:23 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Troy, I thought there was an issue of having to manually adjust the clip settings to progressive because FCPX see's the C100 as interlaced? I'm wondering if 5DtoRGB does this automatically?
Old October 19th, 2014, 05:58 AM   #4
Major Player

I've never had the problem you are describing. Have been using C100 for almost 2 years now.
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 02:14 PM   #5
Major Player

It was Dave Partington who said this just recently in this thread.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasoni...tting-gh4.html

The clips look good to me after running them through 5DtoRGB...... but the thought occurred maybe they will look better doing what Dave said...... I don't know...... Dave are you out there?
Old October 19th, 2014, 05:00 PM   #6
Major Player

I just read his comment on the other thread and have no idea what he is talking about. Maybe he will explain if he sees this thread.
Old October 19th, 2014, 08:57 PM   #7
Major Player

Kathy, if you don't mind me asking what is your workflow?
Old October 20th, 2014, 12:27 AM   #8
Trustee

Kathy, I guess you're using 24p pretty much exclusively?

A while back, I settled with the sort of ham fisted but reliable FCPX 'select all clips and switch to Progressive' for all my 25psf stuff:

Canon C100 PsF – the fix | Travelling Matt

24p seems just fine, 24psf isn't.

If I have the time/budget/inclination, I go the 5DtoRGB route - but most of the time, everything just gets sucked straight into FCPX and once it's all in but before I start putting things into a project/timeline, I switch to Progressive.
Old October 20th, 2014, 05:02 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Davis View Post
Kathy, I guess you're using 24p pretty much exclusively?

A while back, I settled with the sort of ham fisted but reliable FCPX 'select all clips and switch to Progressive' for all my 25psf stuff:

Canon C100 PsF – the fix | Travelling Matt

24p seems just fine, 24psf isn't.

If I have the time/budget/inclination, I go the 5DtoRGB route - but most of the time, everything just gets sucked straight into FCPX and once it's all in but before I start putting things into a project/timeline, I switch to Progressive.
Hi Matt, yes I am using 24p exclusively. I don't even know what 24psf is for, hahaha.
Old October 20th, 2014, 09:31 AM   #10
Major Player

Matt, thanks for the info. It takes some of the mystery out of what Dave was saying.

Yea, I tried to google what on earth you would use psf for and couldn't find an answer, I'm sure there is a reason otherwise Canon wouldn't have put it in there. However, for me no reason to shoot in anything other than 24p....... so it's a non-issue I guess.
Old October 20th, 2014, 09:50 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Here you"ll find some more info regarding this: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-ci...uggestion.html
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 10:53 AM   #12
Trustee

I always import from the card and not via USB.

If you import from the AVCHD structure then FCPX (and most other NLEs) see the footage as interlaced not progressive, so you ned to click on the clip in the event browser then in the inspector (cmd+4 to open) in the info tab change it to progressive.

Several apps, including ClipWrap and maybe 5DtoRGB do this change for you when re-wrapping, but it's a stage I usually don't bother with because it's not required since I can do everything inside FCPX.

If the workflow you are using works for you and when you check the info panel in FCPX it says progressive then you are good to go.

If however you ever seen any interlace type artefacts in the FCP viewer then check the progressive settings in the info panel.
Old October 20th, 2014, 03:37 PM   #13
Major Player

Dave, do you shoot 50i or pf25?

Just interested. Ta.
Old October 20th, 2014, 03:48 PM   #14
Trustee

I shoot PF25.
Old October 20th, 2014, 07:43 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Partington View Post
I always import from the card and not via USB.

If you import from the AVCHD structure then FCPX (and most other NLEs) see the footage as interlaced not progressive, so you ned to click on the clip in the event browser then in the inspector (cmd+4 to open) in the info tab change it to progressive.

Several apps, including ClipWrap and maybe 5DtoRGB do this change for you when re-wrapping, but it's a stage I usually don't bother with because it's not required since I can do everything inside FCPX.

If the workflow you are using works for you and when you check the info panel in FCPX it says progressive then you are good to go.

If however you ever seen any interlace type artefacts in the FCP viewer then check the progressive settings in the info panel.
Hi Dave, I've always used the USB cable on my 5D3 to import the footage. Do you think there is a difference in the quality of the image doing it this way rather than a card reader?

Here is something a shot yesterday in my back yard. How does this footage look to the trained eye? I didn't see any jaggies and I've noticed some very bad jaggies on some other C100 footage that is considered very good on Vimeo.

I used data Import, then ran the clips through 5DtoRGB.
Michael Thames is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems