C100 Mark II -- Mostly About Waveform - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old October 30th, 2014, 01:54 AM   #16
Inner Circle

re: C100 Mark II -- Mostly About Waveform

Interesting observation Philip. In all the official pictures I have so far found not one shows the LCD in that position, i.e. flipped upside down and then on the back of the cam with the LCD face outwards.

My guess (and that is all it is) is that the new hinge arrangement won't allow this....pity as in every other respect this looks so much better. Happy to be proved wrong!
Old October 31st, 2014, 10:41 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Philip,

Update on what I guessed at yesterday. If you watch this video, near the 3m 30s mark there is a shot of the LCD in the upside down position. Whilst it's not shown flat against the back of the C100 MkII in this position there seems to be no reason why it could not be, looking at that hinge. So I THINK you might be in luck...

Old November 1st, 2014, 05:20 AM   #18
New Boot

That's wonderful - thank you. I can also see where they have put new physical division around the buttons so you get a better feel for what button you are on. Did he say 'the same viewer as the c500' ? re the eye cup? Sounded like it to me.. quality. Seems they took high quality and addressed every mediocre bit of it. Sign me up:)
Philip Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2014, 06:27 AM   #19
Inner Circle

I gather a few people have had their hands on the camera in the last couple of days at Dealer Demo events. Can anyone who has handled the cam confirm the answer to Philip's LCD question?
Old November 3rd, 2014, 09:01 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Philip,

This new C100 MkII video is in Japanese and French. At 2 min 39 sec and at just after the 11 minute mark (for example) you can see the LCD put in the position you desire :-)

Old November 5th, 2014, 11:28 PM   #21
Major Player

Very nice video of the Canon C100 Mk II.
Michael Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2014, 05:44 AM   #22
Trustee

Did you get the C100 in the end Michael, or still debating about the GH4
Old November 15th, 2014, 08:35 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
Did you get the C100 in the end Michael, or still debating about the GH4
Hi Vincent, Yes, I ended up getting the C100. I'm very happy with it! Although still struggling with trying to match up the C100 and the 5D3, it's not as easy as I thought..... but I'm getting there.

Old November 16th, 2014, 12:15 PM   #24
Obstreperous Rex

Doesn't look like the standard hood for the 70-200 f/4. What's the story on that, Michael?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2014, 02:34 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Doesn't look like the standard hood for the 70-200 f/4. What's the story on that, Michael?
Hi Chris, yea, I bought the lens used without a hood, so I started looking around for one. I think it looks nicer than the Canon black hood..... and it's way less expensive.

Amazon.com : JJC Professional LH74T White Tulip Flower Lens Hood For canon 70-200mm F 4 Lens Replaces canon ET-74 ET74 : Camera Lens Hoods : Camera & Photo
Old November 16th, 2014, 05:34 PM   #26
Trustee

Well Michael you did seem very keen on the C100, I am glad you made up your mind, hope you get some great results with it, I am sure you will.

Having done a couple of big jobs over the last two weeks I am finding all the camera gear far too bulky and heavy (SONY EX3 and Canon F305) so I have decided to go the GH4 route for documentary work, i.e. short duration capture as opposed to Theatre productions which will still need the heavier stuff.
Old November 17th, 2014, 11:58 AM   #27
Major Player

Hi Vincent, yes I'm still ecstatic about the C100. I take it with me to lunch, and have it with me at all times! I did that too when I got the 5D3. I remain in awe with both of these cameras!

I've thought of selling the 5D3 and getting another C100, but then, I wouldn't have a good photo camera which is very important to me, and I like the image of the 5D3 for close ups as it's a tad softer. The problem I have run into a couple of times now is, I forget to change the pictures style from say portrait, or landscape, to neutral when I shoot video with the 5D3. As the C100 seems to have a bit more neutral picture style in Wide Dynamic setting it's been hard to match them up together. I also had some problems with the Waveform monitor and the exposure meter matching up until I realized that in WD setting the exposure seems to like it best in the middle of the WF monitor...... I'm getting my bearings straight every time I shoot with it, but still not 100% confident yet.

The size of the GH4 was a real turn off for me. Call me superficial, but size does matter when it comes to impressing people, in addition, I like handling a larger camera, and the buttons and controls are much more accessible on the C100 than the 5D3 or the GH4. Another concern for me was the low light issue with the GH4 compared to the C100, I constantly shoot in low light conditions and it's just one more thing I don't have to worry about. I think I'm done with DSLR's!

All this said, I'm not a professional in the sense I work for others, so you guys who do this for a living day in and day out have different needs, and I could see where you would need to stream line your gear. Also, if you have a reputation and established history of great film making you don't need to impress clients with big cameras I would imagine.
Old November 17th, 2014, 12:25 PM   #28
Major Player

Here is a video I did with both the 5D3 and the C100..... a couple of guys playing my guitars.

The 5D3 was the wide angle and I used a 50mm f1.4. I'm not crazy about the Canon 50mm 1.4 for some reason I don't know why.

The image of the C100 blows me away.

The lighting of course isn't ideal. I bought a cheap hair light of of ebay and once during a shoot with a guitarist the damn thing got loose and crashed down of his head and the florescent bulb explode on top of his head....... I thought he was dead! However he survived........ long of the short is I'm looking for a good reliable hair light.

Of course most of you guys are professionals and any criticism I wouldn't take personally so feel free to suggest some improvements if you care too!

Old November 17th, 2014, 12:34 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Quote:
I take it with me to lunch, and have it with me at all times!
Not in that configuration as in that photo you posted I hope, you will need an extra chair just for the camera :)

Quote:
Call me superficial, but size does matter when it comes to impressing people
I have had a sony nex-ea50 which is a pretty big camera compared to a dslr and a big size camera can be a blessing and a curse, in terms of handling it's much better because dials and knobs can be positioned in a better way to have quick and easy access, much like your c100 has but I like small camera's like dslr's much more for my type of work, first because they allow me to shoot without being noticed and second because I can carry much more in my backpack. And trust me, size is all between the ears, if you work for large corporate clients with very big budgets I can imagine they expect big camera's without having any clue what camera's are capable of these days. I have been shooting company videos with my gh4, a tiny 12mm f2.0 olympus lens, my slider and tripod, I even use a gopro and a mini handheld stabiliser, it's the end results that counts and the confidence you can deliver, if I would think I needed a big camera to impress that would only mean I was insecure and had to compensate with the size of my camera.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2014, 12:40 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thames View Post
Of course most of you guys are professionals and any criticism I wouldn't take personally so feel free to suggest some improvements if you care too!
There is definitely a noticeable difference between both cameras, the camera that had the wide shot appeared to be softer in detail, seems a bit more saturated and more contrasty then the camera that did the close ups, is there no flatter profile in the 5DIII?
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems