C100 Mark II -- Mostly About Waveform - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old November 17th, 2014, 03:19 PM   #31
Major Player

re: C100 Mark II -- Mostly About Waveform

I understand if you are a professional with a reputation such as yours, you can use an iPhone if you'd like. I on the other hand only have to impress myself, and a few guys who want to do some videos. Lately however I have had a few guitarists wanting me to do their videos. I tell them I will do it ONLY if they play my guitars.

I bought an XH-A1 back in 2007 without knowing anything. I made a video of me playing a guitar of mine and probably made $100,000 from that one video alone over the years. The pay off was incredible for my business.... so I guess in some strange way I'm a professional..... ha ha!

I just think for me at least people who I record are much more impressed and confident with my talent or lack there of if they see a foot long lens on a large camera, that something close to what they have in their pocket.
Michael Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2014, 03:32 PM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
There is definitely a noticeable difference between both cameras, the camera that had the wide shot appeared to be softer in detail, seems a bit more saturated and more contrasty then the camera that did the close ups, is there no flatter profile in the 5DIII?
Well yes, that is what i was saying...... I shot the video with the 5D3 on "standard" picture profile instead of
"neutral" with the contrast turned down etc. The contrast in standard was jacked up. I guess I could have worked on it longer, but after a while your eyes start to deceive you.... and you say "good enough" for jazz.

I need a damn check list to go over every time I turn on the 5D3 to shoot video...... you forget one thing and yer screwed! With the C100 its almost fool proof.

I need to stop this foolishness of music videos and go do something simple like film flowers going in and out of focus. I live in New Mexico and the landscapes here are amazing..... I would love to take a day off and just go film some landscapes etc. with a nice soundtrack...... how easy is that? shooting live performances are rather nerve racking and quite limited.
Old November 18th, 2014, 02:41 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
Well yes, that is what i was saying......
Didn't see that comment with the video you posted? You just said which camera where used and asked for criticism.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2014, 09:18 AM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Didn't see that comment with the video you posted? You just said which camera where used and asked for criticism.
Well I did kinda mentioned that when I said, sometimes I forget to turn the picture profile from "portrait" or "landscape" back to "neutral" when I shoot video. I think anyone familiar with the 5D3 adjusts the neutral settings..... contrast, sharpening etc. down, at least that what everyone seems to suggest.

In this case I shot in "standard" with the contrast, saturation and sharpness on default.

Sometimes If I just shoot with the 5D3 only, I kinda like the Standard picture settings because I don't have to do too much in post. However, as you pointed out it's too much along side the C100.

I shot one video for a friend used both cameras, but adjusted the exposure using the blade's waveform monitor in Wide Dynamic range. The waveform looked good but the exposure meter in the viewfinder told me the shot was under exposed. So we couldn't use any footage from the C100. Since I've figured out the waveform/exposure settings a bit more.
Old November 22nd, 2014, 09:40 PM   #35
Major Player

Gorgeous piece of music, by the way.
Gotta love Rameau.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 10:05 AM   #36
Major Player

Thanks Tim, glad you enjoyed it.
Old November 24th, 2014, 12:21 PM   #37
Major Player

Well..... I cancelled my pre-order.

I am leaving the Canon ecosystem, for both stills and video, which is a huge move for me. I have had Canon camcorders since the GL2, Canon small digital cameras since the G3 and Canon DSLR's since the 30D.

Ultimately, I was not comfortable with the native CODEC, and was not crazy about using an external recorder with an HDMI cable for hand-held "run and gun" situations.

Also, unlike Michael (no offense meant), having a big, honking rig is not desirable. I do not need to impress anyone, and smaller, lighter and less awkward is better for me. Others "mileage may vary"
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 05:44 PM   #38
Major Player

I'm shocked!

The C100 is actually quite small, I just dressed her up and decked her out for a photo op. What are you going to get a GH4?
Old November 24th, 2014, 06:13 PM   #39
Major Player

For stills and video:

Sony A7s body (full frame, with good codec)
Sony FE 16-35 f/4 ZA OSS (optically stabilized) A critical lens for me.
Sony FE 24-70 f/4 ZA OSS
Sony FE 70-200 f/4 G OSS
Sony FE 55 f/1.8 ZA prime

(Sony's updated FE lens "road map" indicates several key primes coming out in 2015, including a Zeiss FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA and a Sony 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS. I will also look at Zeiss Loxia manual focus primes for Sony E-mount)

Sony XLR-K2M XLR adapter (pre-order)

Sony X70 camcorder (with good codec)

Sony RX10 (with the upgraded codec)

Sony RX100

Sony Catalyst Prepare software (the paid version, not the free version). Will probably get the boxed version.

I will also consider a second full-frame body in 2015, based on what gets announced in the first half of 2015.

It also appears that rental rates for the FS7, when the camera ships, will be tolerable, if I need it, and all the E and FE lenses will work.

I have used and loved Canon gear for a really long time. This is bittersweet.
Old November 25th, 2014, 09:45 AM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thames View Post

The size of the GH4 was a real turn off for me. Call me superficial, but size does matter when it comes to impressing people,
Size matters when you show it for the first time. :D

When people know you and are acquainted with the work, they don't need to see the size of the camera. Having said that, I am not sure if I can land up with my Go Pro 4 and ask them to pay my normal rate.

At times working with a small camera means, not many people crowd around me (in documentary situations). It can also be a bad thing, if I am in a place looking for permissions and the authorities feel that this is another wannabe cinematographer with a DSLR.

I know of people moving to Sony A7s. However, that camera has got its share of issues. When we are earning money, we can't simply buy on the basis of specs. Every camera has got limitation. We have to understand the limitation and decide if we are able to exploit the strengths of the camera and whether that would be fine for our work.

PS: The C100 Mark II has got something that my C300 doesn't have ( 1080 60p)
Old November 25th, 2014, 09:57 AM   #41
Inner Circle

Quote:
PS: The C100 Mark II has got something that my C300 doesn't have ( 1080 60p)
That should change soon when they bring out the MII of the c300, probably the reason why they upgraded the c100 first is because they sell a boatload of these.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2014, 12:23 PM   #42
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard D. George View Post
I have used and loved Canon gear for a really long time. This is bittersweet.
Richard, just curious what Canon gear have you been working with? I ask simply because if you've got a 5D and make the move to a C100, it's like a spiritual revelation, that no amount of preconception prepares you for.

One other thing not being a professional as far as knowing the business side of it, I do have eyes, and I think the codec of the C100 gets a bad rap, by pixel peepers, most all of the footage I've seen from the C100 looks incredible!

I've seen the many comparisons between the ninja and AVCHD 24 bit codec and don't see that big a difference..... Just sayin.
Old November 25th, 2014, 01:13 PM   #43
Major Player

Michael:

5D3
6D
XF100
XA20
XF200 (for three weeks)

C100 rental

EF 16-35 f/2.8L II
EF 24-70 f/4L IS
EF 70-200 f/4L IS
EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II
EF 50 f/1.4
EF 100 f/2.8L Macro IS

EF-S 15-85 (not a kit lens)
Tokina 11-16 f/2.8

Last edited by Richard D. George; November 25th, 2014 at 01:14 PM. Reason: typo
Old November 26th, 2014, 09:22 AM   #44
Major Player

Well then Richard, it seems you are well acquainted with Canon gear, and your decision is based on solid experience, so happy hunting!

Looks like some nice lenses will soon be on the market.
Old November 26th, 2014, 10:11 AM   #45
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabyasachi Patra View Post
Size matters when you show it for the first time. :D
Absolutely, then of course after that, it's all about how you use it!

I can't imagine someone showing up for the first time to do a wedding with a BMPCC, even though it is an amazing camera. However yes, as you say you if you have a well established reputation you can use a Barbie cam if you'd like.

Perhaps I'm way off base but, if yer not Steven Spillberg, and you are trying to establish yourself as a serious film maker, having some professional looking equipment certainly doesn't hurt. Probably 90% of people don't know the difference between an iPhone or a 5D3...... but their eyes light up when you pull out a C-X00, at least that's been my limited experience.

Yea, I tend to think people get a little nervy even if you point an iPhone at them, they think you are trying to go undercover and pull a fast one on them. If you have a larger camera like a C100 all rigged out they might raise to the occasion thinking they might be on the nightly news..... they might dig it. The only real advantage of a small camera is they might not see you pointing it at them.

Yea the A7s. I've looked at some comparison footage and other than "Night Vision" capabilities was not that impressed...... good yes, but am I going to sell all my stuff and switch over to Sony..... no!

If I needed to go undercover I'd get the Panasonic LX100, same image as the GH4 but half the price plus you get a great lens! Why mess around with something else ..... ha ha!

BTW Sabyasachi, I love Delhi...... I've gone to India every year for the past 6 years and have many good friends there!
Michael Thames is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems