DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   Cine 1 vs Cine 2 Vs WDR (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/525892-cine-1-vs-cine-2-vs-wdr.html)

Kevin Lewis November 27th, 2014 08:48 PM

Cine 1 vs Cine 2 Vs WDR

I typically shoot with the wide dynamic range profile but I cant seem to get that filmic look with it. I know that the term "filmic" can be subjective but perhaps I should be using one of the other profiles. Canon Log is not always the best option for me because sometimes I shoot run and gun and theres just not enough available light to support it. Is any one using cine 1 or cine 2 on a normal basis?

Michael Thames November 27th, 2014 10:28 PM

Re: Cine 1 vs Cine 2 Vs WDR

I'm a bit confused about this as well. When I flip through the custom picture settings I definitely see the differences between WDR, Standard, and Cinema, but when I go through CP 1 through 6, I see no difference. I have always assumed these were reserved for custom made settings?

Jon Roemer November 29th, 2014 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Lewis (Post 1869066)
I typically shoot with the wide dynamic range profile but I cant seem to get that filmic look with it. I know that the term "filmic" can be subjective but perhaps I should be using one of the other profiles. Canon Log is not always the best option for me because sometimes I shoot run and gun and theres just not enough available light to support it. Is any one using cine 1 or cine 2 on a normal basis?

I normally shoot c-log but recently shot WDR for a project. I can't compare it to Cine 1 or 2 as I haven't experimented with those yet but... with WDR make sure to try some different sharpness settings. It could be that part of the reason you are loosing your filmic look in WDR is because the sharpness is set too high. (e.g. try -6 or -10)

Curious why there would be enough light to support Cine 1, Cine 2, or WDR but not C-log? I have used C-log all the way up to 20,000 on personal projects, up to 12,800 on client projects.

Scott Stoneback December 2nd, 2014 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Thames (Post 1869071)
I'm a bit confused about this as well. When I flip through the custom picture settings I definitely see the differences between WDR, Standard, and Cinema, but when I go through CP 1 through 6, I see no difference. I have always assumed these were reserved for custom made settings?

CP1 through CP6 are custom profiles. You have to set them up, they are just blank from the factory. Go into the CP1 setting and adjust the Gamma settings to change to Cine (or other) Canon profiles.

Also, Google is your friend. Canon has some great online tutorials on how to make these adjustments, and many more.

Michael Thames December 2nd, 2014 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Stoneback (Post 1869514)
CP1 through CP6 are custom profiles. You have to set them up, they are just blank from the factory. Go into the CP1 setting and adjust the Gamma settings to change to Cine (or other) Canon profiles.

Also, Google is your friend. Canon has some great online tutorials on how to make these adjustments, and many more.

Thanks Scott that's that's answer I've been looking for.

Andree Markefors December 3rd, 2014 06:43 AM

Shoot Canon Log.