Cine 1 vs Cine 2 Vs WDR at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old November 27th, 2014, 08:48 PM   #1
Major Player

Cine 1 vs Cine 2 Vs WDR

I typically shoot with the wide dynamic range profile but I cant seem to get that filmic look with it. I know that the term "filmic" can be subjective but perhaps I should be using one of the other profiles. Canon Log is not always the best option for me because sometimes I shoot run and gun and theres just not enough available light to support it. Is any one using cine 1 or cine 2 on a normal basis?
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2014, 10:28 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Cine 1 vs Cine 2 Vs WDR

I'm a bit confused about this as well. When I flip through the custom picture settings I definitely see the differences between WDR, Standard, and Cinema, but when I go through CP 1 through 6, I see no difference. I have always assumed these were reserved for custom made settings?
Michael Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 09:19 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Lewis View Post
I typically shoot with the wide dynamic range profile but I cant seem to get that filmic look with it. I know that the term "filmic" can be subjective but perhaps I should be using one of the other profiles. Canon Log is not always the best option for me because sometimes I shoot run and gun and theres just not enough available light to support it. Is any one using cine 1 or cine 2 on a normal basis?
I normally shoot c-log but recently shot WDR for a project. I can't compare it to Cine 1 or 2 as I haven't experimented with those yet but... with WDR make sure to try some different sharpness settings. It could be that part of the reason you are loosing your filmic look in WDR is because the sharpness is set too high. (e.g. try -6 or -10)

Curious why there would be enough light to support Cine 1, Cine 2, or WDR but not C-log? I have used C-log all the way up to 20,000 on personal projects, up to 12,800 on client projects.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 12:48 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thames View Post
I'm a bit confused about this as well. When I flip through the custom picture settings I definitely see the differences between WDR, Standard, and Cinema, but when I go through CP 1 through 6, I see no difference. I have always assumed these were reserved for custom made settings?
CP1 through CP6 are custom profiles. You have to set them up, they are just blank from the factory. Go into the CP1 setting and adjust the Gamma settings to change to Cine (or other) Canon profiles.

Also, Google is your friend. Canon has some great online tutorials on how to make these adjustments, and many more.
Scott Stoneback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2014, 01:03 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stoneback View Post
CP1 through CP6 are custom profiles. You have to set them up, they are just blank from the factory. Go into the CP1 setting and adjust the Gamma settings to change to Cine (or other) Canon profiles.

Also, Google is your friend. Canon has some great online tutorials on how to make these adjustments, and many more.
Thanks Scott that's that's answer I've been looking for.
Michael Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2014, 06:43 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Shoot Canon Log.
Andree Markefors is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems