C100 used in Commercial's Samples??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old December 7th, 2014, 12:02 PM   #1
Major Player

C100 used in Commercial's Samples???

I'm really thinking hard about purchasing the C100 for Commercial shoots (Currently using 5D) but I can't seem to find any samples of TV commercials shot with the C100 (All I can find is outdoor nature and urban city videos). Does anybody have any commercial ads they could post links to?

Thanks much!
Danny Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 12:54 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: C100 used in Commercial's Samples???

I'm not sure why you would need to see this, especially if you are already shooting commericals with the 5D. The image quality of the C100 absolutely smokes the 5D in every respect save for the Photographic Full Frame style shallow depth of field.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 12:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
I'm not sure why you would need to see this, especially if you are already shooting commericals with the 5D. The image quality of the C100 absolutely smokes the 5D in every respect save for the Photographic Full Frame style shallow depth of field.
Thanks Gary, yeah I get that the image quality is superior however I still want to see a side by side of my current commercials as compared to the C100. Thanks!
Old December 7th, 2014, 02:58 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Winn View Post
Thanks Gary, yeah I get that the image quality is superior however I still want to see a side by side of my current commercials as compared to the C100. Thanks!
But any other work you see will have a different lighting/shooting style. Not sure what you think you will learn that other C100 samples will not show you.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 03:45 PM   #5
Major Player

Here's one. You can find a lot on Vimeo if you google Canon C100. It's a great camera I just shot all day yesterday around Santa Fe plaza.
Michael Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 05:36 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thames View Post
Here's one. You can find a lot on Vimeo if you google Canon C100. It's a great camera I just shot all day yesterday around Santa Fe plaza.
Ad campaign and content shoot behind-the-scenes, Cleveland, Oh on Vimeo
Awesome Michael, this video helps a lot. I'll check for more. Looks like I'm just down the road from you in Abq;)
Old December 7th, 2014, 05:57 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Awesome Michael, this video helps a lot. I'll check for more. Looks like I'm just down the road from you in Abq;)
Yea I saw you lived in Albuq. You are welcome to come up and check out my C100 if you are ever in the neighborhood.
Old December 8th, 2014, 08:12 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Yea I saw you lived in Albuq. You are welcome to come up and check out my C100 if you are ever in the neighborhood.
Thanks much Michael, you may be my go to guy for questions once I get it. Whats your favorite over all lens for the C100 if you could just pick one?
Old December 8th, 2014, 12:26 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks much Michael, you may be my go to guy for questions once I get it. Whats your favorite over all lens for the C100 if you could just pick one?
Danny, believe me if you come from a DSLR back ground there really is nothing to learn about the C100. It's more a matter of familiarity. All the buttons are there at your fingertips. The magic button on the C100 is the "push auto iris" button, it automatically sets the aperture to the correct exposure..... it's a quick reference to exposure and from there if you like you can begin to tweak stuff, but at least you are in the ball park.

The 5D3 is far more difficult to learn and I'm still learning about it..... because I came from a video camcorder back ground.

As far as a favorite lens. My all time favorite lens on the 5D3 is the 70-200 f4 IS. Second favorite is the good old trusty 24-105 f4 IS. However, because of the crop factor the 70-200 doesn't work for me indoors (I do mostly indoor shooting) so I had resorted to using the 24-105 even thought the 70-200 is sharper and has better contrast. I really like the 24-70 f2.8 II USM...... but, I won't pay that kind of money for a non IS lens.

Good luck and let us know when you get your C100!
Old December 8th, 2014, 12:57 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Here is another one shot with the c100

Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2014, 01:00 PM   #11
Inner Circle

And another one:

Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2014, 01:51 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Danny, believe me if you come from a DSLR back ground there really is nothing to learn about the C100. It's more a matter of familiarity. All the buttons are there at your fingertips. The magic button on the C100 is the "push auto iris" button, it automatically sets the aperture to the correct exposure..... it's a quick reference to exposure and from there if you like you can begin to tweak stuff, but at least you are in the ball park.

The 5D3 is far more difficult to learn and I'm still learning about it..... because I came from a video camcorder back ground.

As far as a favorite lens. My all time favorite lens on the 5D3 is the 70-200 f4 IS. Second favorite is the good old trusty 24-105 f4 IS. However, because of the crop factor the 70-200 doesn't work for me indoors (I do mostly indoor shooting) so I had resorted to using the 24-105 even thought the 70-200 is sharper and has better contrast. I really like the 24-70 f2.8 II USM...... but, I won't pay that kind of money for a non IS lens.

Good luck and let us know when you get your C100!
Haha, Ironically the 24/70 is the only lens I have for my 5D, I shoot everything with it. I don't mind it not having IS because most of my shots are on tripod or sliders anyway. I too come from a camcorder background before the 5D. I started with the ol Canon XL2, then the Canon XH-A1s before the 5D so hopefully the C100 will feel pretty familiar.

Thanks much!
Old December 8th, 2014, 01:54 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Great Vids Noa! Just the kinda stuff I was looking for. Thanks for posting!
Old December 9th, 2014, 11:55 AM   #14
Major Player

Also, I've pointed this out before, Joe Simon Weddings uses mostly C100s and some C300s...and a little 5D. His work looks great and is like an extended commercial. Take a look at his samples on his site:
Joe Simon Wedding Films

Jim Martin
EVSonline.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2014, 12:02 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Haha, Ironically the 24/70 is the only lens I have for my 5D, I shoot everything with it. I don't mind it not having IS because most of my shots are on tripod or sliders anyway. I too come from a camcorder background before the 5D. I started with the ol Canon XL2, then the Canon XH-A1s before the 5D so hopefully the C100 will feel pretty familiar.

Thanks much!
I came from the XH-A1 too. After selling it for next to nothing last year, I got the 5D3...... then had to learn photography...... ha ha! I was yearning for the simplicity of the A1..... and basically a REAL video camera again, but after the 5D3 FF look with interchangeable lenses, I was hooked and could never go back to a small sensor video camera again. The C100 fulfills all my desire for a real video camera but with the features and images of a DSLR.

I think you will be quite happy with the C100. Danny are you considering a New C100 mkII, or an mkI?
Michael Thames is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems