Awesome video showing C100mkII tracking AF, Face Detection, Slow Mo - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old January 25th, 2015, 10:35 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Awesome video showing C100mkII tracking AF, Face Detection, Slow Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
4k also makes good 1080p and it does have other advantages, even if some c100 owners refuse to acknowledge that, but that's fine
Funny, because it was acknowledged. You seem to not understand that the 1080 from the C series models is 4K to 1080, so that advantage is moot. You only lose the ability to zoom in up to 200% and maintain resolution.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 08:08 PM   #17
Trustee

Regarding 4k...

yes, the ability to recompose through zooming is handy when you are too rushed, or had other restrictions to keep you from composing properly in the first place. But I don't think too many women (or men even) over 35 are going to want to see themselves in sharp focus when shot and broadcast at 4k. Even at 1080, this can require a little softening.

I saw some 4k demo footage recently with a younger model... and it was very revealing... Even with high end makeup.

Sports, action scenes, and landscapes - yes. Close ups - no.
Old January 26th, 2015, 02:16 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Diewert View Post
Sports, action scenes, and landscapes - yes. Close ups - no.
If I understand right the c100 delivers equally detailed footage compared to a 4K camera when the footage is downscaled in post, does that mean we have to soften every shot on a c100 to make it look less realistic? What about photographers, they have to deal with way higher resolutions, does it mean they apply very heavy softening filters to portraits because it's too revealing?

I think we need to stop finding excuses why the c100 doesn't need 4K and maybe start questioning why Canon yet again intentionally cripples their camera to protect sales from higher end models, especially at the c100 pricepoint there is no reason not to incorporate a technology that's going to become a standard on every camera, even smartphones, very soon.

4K might not be something for you and that's fine but there are many other's out there that wished the c100 would do 4K and they would find 4K beneficial for their needs, it's 2015 after all.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 03:10 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
...4K might not be something for you and that's fine but there are many other's out there that wished the c100 would do 4K and they would find 4K beneficial for their needs, it's 2015 after all.
The C100 does 4K. Just not in the way you want it. It wouldn't be a C100 if it did 4K differently. Get over it. Can you guys take the 4K war to another thread? This one is about the Face Detection.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 03:38 AM   #20
Inner Circle

The c100 downscales internally so it doesn't output 4K, it's 1080p what you get, nothing else. I do know it's about about the focus capabilities here but 4K became a part of the discussion along the way and was not started by me, but I have no problem not talking about it anymore as I have made my point.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 08:36 AM   #21
Major Player

The face Detection on my 70d with a 18 - 135 STM Lens works great. I keep looking for more STM Lenses. My Tokina 11 - 16 works well with Face detection also.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 11:11 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Diewert View Post
But I don't think too many women (or men even) over 35 are going to want to see themselves in sharp focus when shot and broadcast at 4k. Even at 1080, this can require a little softening.
I heard the same with HD when that transition was going on, and it ultimately had little effect on that.

Quote:
4K might not be something for you and that's fine but there are many other's out there that wished the c100 would do 4K and they would find 4K beneficial for their needs, it's 2015 after all.
Then don't buy it, simple as that. But someone shouldn't shoehorn themselves into some other camera when the C100 would fit their needs perfectly just because it doesn't do 4K, and the benefits otherwise are over-touted. I am pointing out specific workflows where the difference isn't really that big.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 05:07 PM   #23
Regular Crew

What I find a bit amusing is the anti 4k crowd acting like it's not possible to shoot 1080p on a 4k camera.

It's like someone saying they don't want a camera to be capable of shooting high frame rates because they don't want big files, don't need slow motion, and it takes up too much time in post. Ummmm...ok then shoot in 24p.

4k is a tool just like any other tool. Sometimes you will need it and sometimes you will not. Would you refuse to buy a camera with built in NF filters because you never shoot in bright sunlight? Personally I like my cameras to have many different tools to suit a wide array of applications and we all know the C100 only falls short in a couple categories.
Kyle Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 07:06 PM   #24
Trustee

Personally, the c100 has been a great camera, and has paid for itself several times over without slomo or 4k... Just as my 5d2 paid for itself many times over without either. And one day when 4k is the required standard, I know that there will be lots of suitable, and affordable camera options... it's all good.
Old January 26th, 2015, 07:45 PM   #25
Regular Crew

I doubt 4k will be a broadcast standard for a least another 5-7 years. Most of the filmmakers who currently use 4k do not deliver in in 4k. They are just using the extra resolution when needed, like any other camera feature. When delivering in 4k is the new standard, filmmakers will likely be looking for 5k or greater to maintain the same creative control. This is why my current preference is 2.5k or 3k.

And we all know there are already plenty of suitable and affordable options... they just don't say Canon on the front.
Kyle Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 09:06 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Hawthorne View Post
What I find a bit amusing is the anti 4k crowd acting like it's not possible to shoot 1080p on a 4k camera.
It is on an FS700 with the Odyssey 7Q. It is on the FS7 internally. Both of those options cost more than the C100 Mark II.

The DMC-GH4 does not shoot good 1080. It's very poor compared to its 4K mode downrezzed to 1080, which starts to resemble the C100 resolution.

What other camera are you thinking of?
Gary Huff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems