DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   C100 with Dual Pixel AF or C100 MkII (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/526615-c100-dual-pixel-af-c100-mkii.html)

Mervin Langley January 26th, 2015 11:59 PM

C100 with Dual Pixel AF or C100 MkII

I'm going to sell my EX1R in the interest of buying another C100. I don't have the Dual Pixel AF on my C100 but want it on the second. Is there any additional advantage to getting the extra capabilities of the C100 MKII specifically for AF? I just want to have a reliable focus of the bride walking down the aisle and similar shots.

Also, anyone want an EX1R with 590 hours?

Les Wilson January 27th, 2015 06:50 AM

Re: C100 with Dual Pixel AF or C100 MkII

In case you missed it, these questions were discussed here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-ci...h-upgrade.html

and here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-ci...n-slow-mo.html

Gary Huff January 27th, 2015 06:34 PM

Do you want 60P? Is an actual EVF something you need, or will the C-Cup add-on fit your needs (it works pretty damn well). Do you need an articulating LCD screen that is more color accurate? (the C100 Mark I's LCD is rather blue).

60P was the primary reason I switched, mostly from a usability standpoint. Always had to bring my GH4 along if I needed even just one shot in slomo (especially if it was a shot that was going to be a handoff to post). However, my initial impressions so far have been very positive as to the improvements over the Mark I.

Tim Paynter January 27th, 2015 10:58 PM

I am a taker for the Ex1r if the price is right.

Thanks, Tim

Michael Silverman January 28th, 2015 03:27 PM

I purchased a C100 Mk I about 1.5 years ago and was ready to purchase a C100 Mk II to replace my 70D. However, once they lowered the price on the C100 Mk I with DPAF to $4500 I decided to go with that rather than the C100 Mk II. One of the reasons is that I saw this video:

It looks like the Mk I and Mk II resolve colors a little differently in most lighting situations. For many people this is no big deal, but I've spent the past year matching my C100 Mk I with my 70D and I really just want two cameras that don't need to be matched. I shoot 20-30 weddings a year and color correcting each shot adds up to many hours of extra work.

I also like having two identical cameras because I can ask my second shooter what his ISO, aperture, and white balance settings are and then I can very quickly and easily match them to get the same look. Because the Mk II is more sensitive I wouldn't be able to do this and would have to go in and color correct the footage at times. Certainly not the end of the world, but just adds on more time to the already time consuming process of editing wedding videos.

In the end, for me it seemed like a better choice to save the $1000 as in my situation it would make life easier to have two identical cameras. However, I would guess that many people's lives will be easier with the new viewfinder, LCD screen, increased sensitivity, 60p, etc. and the Mk II is then the better camera for them.

As in just about every situation, I'd say pick the camera that works best for you and only you.

Mervin Langley January 28th, 2015 10:35 PM

Thanks for your replies. I did read the previous posts.

I guess my basic question is this: Does the DPAF suffice for a typical walk down the aisle and do the additional features of the C100 MKII (SPECIFICALLY REGARDING AF) offer substantial additional benefit?

If not I will try to get another C100 Mk I with DPAF and save some $.

Michael Silverman January 28th, 2015 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mervin Langley (Post 1875083)
Thanks for your replies. I did read the previous posts.

I guess my basic question is this: Does the DPAF suffice for a typical walk down the aisle and do the additional features of the C100 MKII (SPECIFICALLY REGARDING AF) offer substantial additional benefit?

If not I will try to get another C100 Mk I with DPAF and save some $.

I've been using the C100 Mk I with DPAF to film weddings for the past year. The continuous autofocus works great for filming bridesmaids and the bride walking down the aisle as long as you use a lens that works well with DPAF. I've found that the Canon 24-105mm F/4 worked very well as the autofocus was extremely smooth. The Canon 70-200mm F/4 was much less smooth with the continuous autofocus so after one attempt I've decided not to use it for the processional anymore.

The STM lenses will probably be the smoothest in terms of how the autofocus works. The 40mm or 24mm pancake STM lenses will probably be a good bet because they are F/2.8 and are wide enough to get a nice shot of everyone as they walk down the aisle.

So from my experience I've had great success with the C100 Mk I with DPAF as long as I use a lens that works well with the continuous autofocus.

Mervin Langley January 29th, 2015 02:44 AM

How about the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM?

Les Wilson January 29th, 2015 05:39 AM

Tweaking color profiles to match different cameras is par for the course. The problem in doing this in my experience is when one is a DSLR or consumer camera that doesn't give you much control. So the better camera ends up bending to the lesser one. Getting them to match in camera is way better than post and once I was in spitting distance, other things like softness, moire and noise became evident. I would expect MKI to MKII differences one of the easier to get matched. But someone with skills doing it is the real test.

To the question about substantive differences in AF for the narrowly defined walk down the aisle, the MKI requires you to frame the bride in the center. This is the most complained about feature from my read and the MKII resolves it with what looks like very good Face Detection. The MKII therefore doesn't restrict AF to center framed subject only.

The decision is difficult if you are a MKI owner adding a second. I would think it's a no brainer if moving from an ENG camera like the EX1R to a Cinema camera. MKII with it's properly done view screen, EVF, MP4 workflow, and Face Detection (STM lenses only) is a great starting point... add a second one later or a MKI if/when a guru develops the color profile for matching. My 2 cents.

EDIT:
In case you missed it, a video showing the Face Detection was posted in another thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-ci...ml#post1874511

Michael Silverman January 29th, 2015 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mervin Langley (Post 1875093)
How about the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM?

I haven't tried that lens so I'm not sure about how well it works.

The Face Detection in the Mk II could be helpful as I know of another wedding videographer who uses the Canon 40mm F/2.8 STM with the 70D and he says the face detection works well for the processional.

Doug Thompson February 1st, 2015 07:39 AM

The 16-35 is one of my primary lenses for the C100 and the DPAF works fine with it.

Nate Haustein February 1st, 2015 09:37 AM

Been shooting for about a week now with the C100mk2 docu style and I have to say, the AF is pretty life-changing. Had the non-AF C100s for 2 years and got along fine, but now the AF on almost all of my EF lenses (no STM) works really well. You need to be conscious of how it works so you can know when to use it, but wow. Point and shoot. LCD screen on the Mk2 is also MUCH better. I was a dedicated monitor user for the Mk1, but now I feel confident enough with the Mk2 to only use the LCD and VF. A huge improvement and very worth the upgrade for compact shooting situations. That being said, my older Mk1 still looks great and seves well as a B camera.

Gary Huff February 1st, 2015 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate Haustein (Post 1875418)
Been shooting for about a week now with the C100mk2 docu style and I have to say, the AF is pretty life-changing.

Agreed. I got the Dual Pixel AF on my C100 Mark I simply for the resale value, but once I got it in and started playing with it, it became something I use a lot. Not that I leave it on, I toggle it on and off when needed, but man, that has come in handy far too many times to count.

Quote:

That being said, my older Mk1 still looks great and seves well as a B camera.
Agreed. If the price difference is important to go with the Mark I, there should be no shame in that. It's still a great camera. If you get a Mark I, order the C-Cup and a chamois and you'll have a useable EVF. The Mark II fit what I needed specifically to keep me light and compact (had to keep bringing my GH4 along just to get like one shot of slow-motion on a handful of shoots last year), and I considered keeping it for dual camera shoots, but ultimately, I'd rather just grade the GH4 to match (Erik Naso has done some wonderful work in this regard) rather than maintain three cameras for the every-one-in-a-while two camera shoot.

Mervin Langley February 1st, 2015 07:25 PM

That is very useful information, thanks. I have been using the Ninja Blade because the monitor is so darn good and the C100 LCD is not that good. Maybe I will sell the Blade to help finance my purchase. I will keep my other C100.