Canon 1DC Price Drops $4,000 on 2/1/15 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old February 1st, 2015, 03:05 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Canon 1DC Price Drops $4,000 on 2/1/15

Yes... it's funny, but until this thread started, I had disregarded the 1DC as a camera that wouldn't fit my workflow, but after spending a few days last week shooting stills on my 5D2 and video on my C100 in an area where stealth was needed... And it's a project that is ongoing. I've now been thinking that this camera could be a great fit - It would fit quite well now, but with RAW at 12k, I would really be tempted - I would definitely take the peaking - zebras are handy, but with RAW, the exposure is not so critical. One shot push focus I would definitely take (love that feature).
Old February 1st, 2015, 06:46 PM   #17
Regular Crew

No way would I want 4k RAW.

The current 4k footage in the 1DC eats up 4GB for every 1 minutes of footage. RAW files probably increase this storage requirement 3-4 fold or more.

You would need to spend $3k-$4k just on CF cards for a days worth of filming and probably $5k per year for permanent file storage.
Kyle Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2015, 07:03 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Hawthorne View Post
I doubt that sentence has ever been uttered before.

-- peer
Old February 1st, 2015, 09:45 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Hawthorne View Post

The current 4k footage in the 1DC eats up 4GB for every 1 minutes of footage. RAW files probably increase this storage requirement 3-4 fold or more.

You would need to spend $3k-$4k just on CF cards for a days worth of filming and probably $5k per year for permanent file storage.
Kyle,

Agreed, it would be crazy data rates... and would likely need some kind of SSD capture. It would be nice to have like the RED compression options. As far as media cost goes... the RED proprietary media is brutal.

It wouldn't be something that you would need for every shoot... but damn, that would be freaking awesome... to pull RAW stills from video.
Old February 1st, 2015, 10:19 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Diewert View Post
Kyle, Agreed, it would be crazy data rates... and would likely need some kind of SSD capture.
Well, 24fps 4K 10-bit RAW would be around 15 GB/min. Hence, about $1k per hour with current CF prices. Not too shabby.

-- peer

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems