C300 Prices at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old February 7th, 2015, 05:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

C300 Prices

Following the announcement of the C100 Mark II and with the expectations surrounding a C300 Mark II announcement at NAB, I expected prices of existing C300's to take a hit.

I mean, you'd have to be crazy to buy a new C300 right now, right? Even picking up a used one seems risky.

Anyway, browsing eBay there appears to be healthy used market in the $8,000 price range. This is puzzling to me considering the minor differences between the C100 Mark II and C300 along with all the other offerings in the sub $8000 price range.
Kyle Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2015, 02:43 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: C300 Prices

I also would expect that you first would update the high end ones like the c500, then the c300 and finally the c100, in such a way you should not loose any sales if there is some months between each camera update but now I would be even surprised if they sell even one c300 now untill their c300 II becomes available for sales. Canon seems to have a very big cash reserve.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2015, 06:44 AM   #3
Major Player

The C300 is a very good camera as it is. The advantages it has over the C100 cameras are in ergonomics and the built in broadcast codec.

In common with the C100's it has a 4k sensor downsampling to 1920x1080 producing stunning full HD images, and with the right lenses these have a truly beautiful natural quality.

Canon might feel the urge to join the 4k race in these cameras but are not in a rush because out in the real world there is still little end user demand for 4k apart from future proofing the files. And whilst some of us might have bought the new 5K iMac ( I just managed to hold off) few people even have the ability to view 4K.

I'm sure Canon will have been delighted with how well the Cinema Eos range has done in the broadcast and cinema sectors and whilst a rumoured C300 MK 11 will have enhanced features, its hard to see how much better the new camera could be. Maybe it will have better slo-mo, better autofocus features and maybe Canon will follow Sony and launch an affordable servo zoom lens.

So I think the C300 / 100's are still a good buy and will still be in common usage for many years to come and if you can pick one up for good price, you'll be getting a bargain and buying a camera that produces fantastic images.

Last edited by Mark Dobson; February 8th, 2015 at 06:46 AM. Reason: correcting a technical error
Mark Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2015, 06:59 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Hawthorne View Post
Following the announcement of the C100 Mark II and with the expectations surrounding a C300 Mark II announcement at NAB, I expected prices of existing C300's to take a hit.

I mean, you'd have to be crazy to buy a new C300 right now, right? Even picking up a used one seems risky.

Anyway, browsing eBay there appears to be healthy used market in the $8,000 price range. This is puzzling to me considering the minor differences between the C100 Mark II and C300 along with all the other offerings in the sub $8000 price range.
You don't buy a race car to travel from Point A to Point B. In the traffic jams, a low end hyundai would be fine.

The difference between C100 Mark II may appear to be minor, if those features are not important enough for your work or for your clients. It all depends upon the purpose of your shoot. If you have clients who have specific requirements which can be met by the C300, then it makes sense to take advantage of the lower price and buy the C300.

If you don't have broadcast clients, then the benefits of the codec of the C300 is moot. If you are unable to recoup the cost of the camera in the next couple of assignments or next few months, then don't buy.

It is important to use whatever camera your clients demand and buy it if and only if it makes business sense.

All my broadcast work is 1080p and the clients specifically want C300. These broadcast jobs will remain in Full HD for a long time. If I would not have owned a C300, then I would have picked up one now.
Old February 9th, 2015, 12:36 PM   #5
Major Player

Please rest assured, the C300 MKII will have 4K capabilities. The question to ask is "How Much"? Canon is the Apple of Cameras, they are not going to price this camera in the FS7 league ($8,000 range). It will be priced somewhere near $12K-$15K. Why, because they are Canon (Apple).

Disclaimer: This is my personal opinion.
Troy Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2015, 07:32 PM   #6
Regular Crew

The Mark II will have 4k. The big question is will it record 4k internally? My guess is 4k internal recording will be reserved for the C500 and the C300 will require an external recorder.

I anticipate something like 4k external recording and 120fps in C300 Mark II for about $12,500. The C500 will get internal 4k and 240fps but it's gonna cost you an arm and a leg. Remember the C500 originally retailed for about $25,000 when first released.

Regardless, I still can't believe people are paying $8,000 for a used C300 right now.
Old February 9th, 2015, 09:32 PM   #7
Major Player

the 300/2 is strongly rumored to have 4k and be in the 8k price arena to compete with the fs7. there was no mention of a c500 successor, but there was a mention of something new and in the higher end territory, like red/arri territory. if that holds true, then it makes sense that canon is just expanding their market gap, giving more functionality to the sub 10k market and going 20/30+K with their higher end market. doing that makes great sense for them so there's clear lines and less consumer complaining about crippled cameras.

i'd bet a cookie that canon abandons the 10-20k market altogether
Old February 9th, 2015, 10:06 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I don't think Canon gives a rip about consumer complaints.

And I hope you are right but I just don't see Canon going head to head with the FS7 with both features and price. They have never pursued that strategy in the past and I have a hard time believing this release will be any different.
Old February 10th, 2015, 09:21 AM   #9
Major Player

If you can get away with charging $12k you wont charge $8k just because the other guy is. I think the comparison of canon being like apple is the best way to possibly put it.
Mark Koha is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems