DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   New video with the C100 and 5D3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/526845-new-video-c100-5d3.html)

Michael Thames February 11th, 2015 09:49 PM

New video with the C100 and 5D3

First time for me working with a black backdrop and minimal lighting. The C100 had a 50 1.4 lens and the 5D3 on the slider the 24-105. Very hard to match these two cameras, not like I thought initially. I need to get another C100. Anywho I was most concerned about the exposure what do you think?

Daniel Epstein February 15th, 2015 08:19 AM

Re: New video with the C100 and 5D3

Didn't have time to watch the whole performance to see many edits. Looks like the color match could be better with more color correction and in this set up it is really obvious as the shots of the subject seeing the same content. I don't think even Canon would expect these two cameras to match perfectly as they are different product lines.

Stefan Gill February 28th, 2015 07:00 AM

What did you use to color correct (match the two) ?

Scott Hayes February 28th, 2015 05:45 PM

it helps to use an expo disc. I usually dial the 5d3 back a couple hundred kelvin to compensate for the higher reds. however YMMV

David G. Way March 2nd, 2015 08:49 AM

Hello Michael.

This may not be what you are asking for, but I think indirectly it does. The camera shots you are editing together here seem both very similar, even though you're using a slider on one (if I understand your post). That makes the whole video pretty static. I'm not sure the slider shots work to your advantage. If, however, you were to set up your second camera to shoot close-ups of ether of his hands and/or face, the lighting would be sufficiently different that matching the cameras might be less of a problem. What do you think?

Michael Thames March 8th, 2015 11:37 PM

David, yes, that is a great idea, I shall try that next time. You are right it would be easier to match than two very similar shots. Thanks.

Michael Thames March 8th, 2015 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan Gill (Post 1878226)
What did you use to color correct (match the two) ?

Hi Stefan, I used FCPX.

Michael Thames March 8th, 2015 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Epstein (Post 1876799)
Didn't have time to watch the whole performance to see many edits. Looks like the color match could be better with more color correction and in this set up it is really obvious as the shots of the subject seeing the same content. I don't think even Canon would expect these two cameras to match perfectly as they are different product lines.

Yea, I thought the color was really good on the C100, but it was off on the 5D3...... so that meant I kinda had to match the C100 with the 5D3, which isn't ideal. Also in retrospect, I should have used the 5D3 for the close up shot and the C100 further away. The 5D3 is a better portrait camera I think.

Stefan Gill March 17th, 2015 05:29 AM

Set your color profile to neutral on the 5d. On your c100 , search this forum for the color profile PJcine (message me and I'll send it to you) and load that onto your memory card. Load that profile into your c100.

Using those together will give you a good match then color correct as needed in post.