In the market for a C100.. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old February 26th, 2015, 10:33 AM   #1
New Boot

In the market for a C100..

Hey guys,

I'm completely new to the world of cinematography and instead of making uninformed decisions I thought I should come consult with people of experience. I have a few questions...

-So I want to purchase a used C100, and I can wait until after NAB 2015. In your experience, after the show, does the used market flood with old cameras as people look to upgrade?

-For a lens, I've decided on the Canon 24-105L IS, because they are so readily available for quite cheap, and I only have enough money to purchase a single lens. My question is, will the IS noise be picked up on audio? I will be mounting a Sennheiser MKE-600 directly onto the camera...

-Finally, what's a good resource for me to learn cinematography online? I have a background in amateur photography, so I know my way around ISO, aperture and generally understand the language, although I would need to know how those things translate over into video...where was your favourite place to learn as a beginner?

Eagerly awaiting your response

Much love, Ahsun
Ahsun Chaudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 12:41 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: In the market for a C100..

I have a C-100 with 27 hours on the meter in like new condition I'm about to put on the market if you're interested.
David G. Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 02:15 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahsun Chaudhry View Post
... the Canon 24-105L IS... will the IS noise be picked up on audio?
Yes, it most certainly will, especially with that particular lens. There is another Canon lens -- the EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM that is better suited for video because it eliminates that particular problem (all STM lenses are super silent, even with IS switched on).

Quote:
Finally, what's a good resource for me to learn cinematography online?
You've already found it -- welcome aboard!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 02:33 PM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G. Way View Post
I have a C-100 with 27 hours on the meter in like new condition I'm about to put on the market if you're interested.
I'll pass, thank you though David.

Thanks Chris! I'll look into that lens for certain...
and woops, guess I failed to see what was right in front of me...I'll start snooping around.
Thank you for the warm welcome!

Ahsun
Old February 26th, 2015, 04:44 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
I want to purchase a used C100, and I can wait until after NAB 2015. In your experience, after the show, does the used market flood with old cameras as people look to upgrade?
Ahsun, I would not expect an update to the C100 at NAB this year because that has already happened, last fall, with the introduction of the C100 Mark II. So actually, now is the time that we are seeing used C100's on the market as previous owners are upgrading to the Mark II version.

Old February 26th, 2015, 05:05 PM   #6
New Boot

Hmm...thanks for the heads up Chris.

That's a bit troubling, as these things seem quite difficult to find on the used market...I'm in Canada as well. Do you see the price dropping at all in the forseeable future? Or should I just purchase now..

Thanks again, Ahsun
Old February 26th, 2015, 05:09 PM   #7
New Boot

Also, what would be a reasonable price to pay?

Currently most are floating around $4000, which seems excessive to me...or do they just hold their value that well?

Ahsun
Old February 26th, 2015, 05:30 PM   #8
Trustee

Ahsun,

Welcome to the forum. You will find a wealth of information here to help you with every aspect of video production.

I must say that I am surprised that you would dismiss David's offer so quickly if you're in the market for a used c100. One of the key considerations when buying a used piece of electronic equipment is how it was cared for by the previous owner. And one of the valuable things about this forum is that we use real names and build relationships with other members.

That way if we do want to buy or sell used equipment, we're not jumping on craigslist or ebay and hoping that we don't get an abused piece of equipment.

The reason that there are a lot of c100's around right now is because of the recent upgrade. I am from Canada and am considering an upgrade myself. In which case I would likely part with my c100. Mine was purchased in Sept 2014.

I have been at this a long time and can tell you that a c100 is a great, and relatively easy to use camera to get started with.
Old February 26th, 2015, 05:34 PM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Ahsun, it is indeed a very popular camera and yes they do hold their value. The general lack of availability on the used market is a good indicator of that. In my opinion, if you have a need now, then now is the right time to buy. There has been some talk about the possibility of an update to the C300 at NAB and if so, then this *might* shake loose a few C100's afterwards, but in the meantime you might consider David's reply above that he might be selling his soon. Edit: and Ken's, his reply came in while I was typing mine.

Be very careful with Ebay, of course. I recommend our own Private Classifieds forum and I have upgraded your account so that you can access it. Here's one that went for $3100: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/private-...f-upgrade.html

Hope this helps,

Old February 26th, 2015, 07:10 PM   #10
Major Player

It's also worth noting that you can pick up a brand new C100 (non-DAF version) for $3999 and finance it at 1.9% over 36 months, which makes the payments about $115 a month. If you have any questions on this option please let me know. Thank you.

Eric Petrie
provideoandtape.com
Finance the Canon C100mkII for $158 a month
Finance the Sony FS7 for $248 a month
Eric C. Petrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 07:48 PM   #11
New Boot

I'm overwhelmed by the support...

Extremely warm vibe here, you guys are wonderful.

Ken, my reason for turning him down was because he sent me an e-mail offering it for $3800 US, which equates to $4750 Canadian, which is far outside my reach.

Chris! Thanks for the advice, and for the upgrade, I'll be sure to check that out. By the way, I found that STM lens you were recommending, brand new, an hour away for $350...God is good

Much love, Ahsun
Ahsun Chaudhry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems