DSLR Picture Style to match Canon C-Log at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old April 7th, 2015, 06:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DSLR Picture Style to match Canon C-Log

Sorry if this question has been asked and answered about 100 times (although I promise I did search the forums prior to starting this thread).

What is the best DSLR picture style to match the look of c-log footage coming out of the C100 Mark II?

I'm guessing a flat profile like lightform C/N, marvels cine, or technicolor cinestyle. Anybody have a recommendation?
Old April 8th, 2015, 09:13 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: DSLR Picture Style to match Canon C-Log

In my experience, good luck. Everyone says to match the C100 MKII to the DSLR, not the other way around. I was grading a shoot last night that had C100 MKI as A camera and 5D MKIII as B camera. The Abel Cine EOS Match preset was used with the 5D MKIII set to standard. They were pretty close and with some grading, got them even closer.

I have not used the profiles you listed but I have also not heard of anyone having success in matching and 5D MKIII to any EOS Cinema using C Log. YMMV.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2015, 10:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Do people have better luck matching a DSLR when setting the C100 to Wide DR? It seems like the more latitude you allow for in post, the easier matching each camera will become, which is why I expected c-log footage to be ideal.

We'll have a four camera shoot. C100, C100 mkII, 1DX, and 70d.
Old April 8th, 2015, 03:13 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Even the C100 MKI and MKII don't match that well to each other, although you would think they would. Do you have time and budget to do camera tests? I use the Abel Cine preset because it is designed to do what I want to do which is match the C100 with the 5D MKIII and it works. When not shooting to match with the C100, I use WDR as I like it. Even if you match the colors, the DSLRs are going to look really soft and have a lot of aliasing in comparison to the C100s so chose which camera for which FOV carefully.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems