C100 mark ii with canon Log 2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old April 26th, 2015, 10:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

C100 mark ii with canon Log 2?

Hi everyone,

As im in the process of buying a c100 mark ii, I am curious what canon is going to do for future firmware updates, if any. However, what is everyone's thoughts about canon potentially releasing an update that will provide the c100 mark ii with cLog 2? (The c300 mark ii was given this enhanced gamma curve) Is this something that is likely to happen? If so I think it will add an extra flare to the camera providing even more dynamic range. From what I understand the c100 mark ii only stands at about 12 stops. While much cheaper cameras, like the sony a7s, have a dynamic range of 14 stops with sLog 2 enabled.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts,
Mike
Mike Butir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 04:11 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: C100 mark ii with canon Log 2?

My experience is that Canon are very inscrutable about any future firmware updates and that they move in their own time but that when they do release updates they are very well engineered.

When the C300 was released this forum was very busy with owners, myself included, suggesting firmware improvements they felt were necessary - now 3 years on, many of these have been implemented and some not but with the C300 Mark 2 about to hit the streets I don't expect there will be any further major firmware updates.

Whilst the C100 Mark 2 is a huge improvement over the C100 you may well find more enhanced features in other cameras such as the Sony A7S. I'm personally pretty committed to sticking with Canon and love the look , or is it the feel, of the images that can be acquired within the Cinema Eos range of cameras.

Basically what you need to be happy with what you are buying rather than hoping that its going to improve.
Mark Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 08:32 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Can't see it happening - clog was created for getting 12 stops of dr from 8 bit c100/300 footage, that is about as much as you can expect to get out of 8 bit without it falling apart. clog2 is created for the extra dr of the 10 bit c300 mk2.

I had a Sony a7s and there is no way 14 stops of dr, again 12 max
Ade Towell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 10:30 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dobson View Post
Whilst the C100 Mark 2 is a huge improvement over the C100 you may well find more enhanced features in other cameras such as the Sony A7S.
Outside of a rather lame 4K mode (with aliasing and moire that's not present in the 1080 recordings), the A7S is a step backwards.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 10:52 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dobson View Post
Whilst the C100 Mark 2 is a huge improvement over the C100 you may well find more enhanced features in other cameras such as the Sony A7S. I'm personally pretty committed to sticking with Canon and love the look , or is it the feel, of the images that can be acquired within the Cinema Eos range of cameras.
I agree with you, i think there is something about the look of the images produced from the C series cameras that really draws me to this line. I am willing to make the sacrifice and not go 4k just yet because of the filmic feel these cameras offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade Towell View Post
I had a Sony a7s and there is no way 14 stops of dr, again 12 max
I think that there is a lot of misunderstanding with dynamic range. A lot of it i think some cameras fake by adding digital noise in highlights and shadows. such as the af100, it had a dynamic range stretch mode that looked great in the camera, but once i brought it into my editing station and critiqued the footage, it was awful! so much noise was in the shadows and highlights.. i believe this is a similar technique (or just false advertising) that some other cameras claim to have. From what i have seen, the c100 handles great in these types of scenarios. just thought maybe cannon would offer an improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
Outside of a rather lame 4K mode (with aliasing and moire that's not present in the 1080 recordings), the A7S is a step backwards.
Agreed, this is why i am holding back from the A7s. There is a comparison out there where the GH4 beats the A7s in 4k mode. I don't see myself investing in a cheaper alternative to have crappy 4k..
Mike Butir is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems