What's your editing rig for the C100? Macbook Pro cutting it? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old July 20th, 2015, 02:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What's your editing rig for the C100? Macbook Pro cutting it?

Hey all,

I've swapped my new project from an XF100 to a C100. Loving it. Butter. Amazing.

My old 2010 Macbook Pro with 4GB of RAM just BARELY cut it for the Canon XF100. Not sure how the hell I managed that.

Anyways, I was wondering if a 2015 Macbook Pro with beefed up RAM and graphics would cut it to edit C100 footage.

Any other suggestions? Trying to keep it to $2,500.

What's your rig?

Best,

John Yingling
The World Underground
The World Underground
John Yingling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 08:06 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: What's your editing rig for the C100? Macbook Pro cutting it?

iMac late 2013/2014, 3.5ghz i7 24gb ram. It has the best graphics card available at the time. Does ok with C100 footage. It seems to slow when rendering things like Neat video with the hard discs a little bit too full. Friends edit on Mac Pros. Dunno how much fun it is though.
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 09:13 AM   #3
Major Player

Anything special about C100 footage?

My 2013 MBP Retina, 8GB RAM manages 4K footage off my Lumix GH4 in FCPX.

My 2013 iMac 27 inch also with 8GB (must remember to up it) also manages but much better.

Both have i7 processors and I edit to external hard drives.

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 01:34 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Yingling View Post
Anyways, I was wondering if a 2015 Macbook Pro with beefed up RAM and graphics would cut it to edit C100 footage.
Yes. 15" 2015 with the i7, 16GB of RAM, and the AMD Radeon R9 M370X with 2GB. Should do you just fine.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 07:35 PM   #5
Trustee

Adobe CC 2014

Last 17" MBP (2011) with 16gb RAM and SSD for system, standard drive for media (no more DVD!!)
Works beautifully!

2009 MacPro with 64gb RAM, SSD for system and internal raids for editing, mid level NVIDIA GeForce video card
Screamin fast with Adobe CC 2014

Can't see dropping a lot of dough on a new system til Adobe gets with the program and starts supporting the newer video cards.

OH...forgot to mention I edit both the native AVCHD and Ninja 2 ProRes footage from the C100.
Old July 21st, 2015, 03:11 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Excellent. Good to know I don't have to totally lose my butt. Exactly what I was hoping to hear.

Currently filming punk rock in Indonesia. The episodes of this project are films on underground music, so I won't need anything too intense, until I learn it that is.

Thanks !
John Yingling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2015, 02:31 PM   #7
Major Player

I edit the footage on a Win7 machine/Vegas that's 8 years old! QX9650/8GB Ram. The only problems I have are when I'm multi-cam editing a 4 camera shoot.

You won't have to break the bank.
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 02:39 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Turchick View Post
Adobe CC 2014

Last 17" MBP (2011) with 16gb RAM and SSD for system, standard drive for media (no more DVD!!)
Works beautifully!

2009 MacPro with 64gb RAM, SSD for system and internal raids for editing, mid level NVIDIA GeForce video card
Screamin fast with Adobe CC 2014

Can't see dropping a lot of dough on a new system til Adobe gets with the program and starts supporting the newer video cards.

OH...forgot to mention I edit both the native AVCHD and Ninja 2 ProRes footage from the C100.
I have a 2012 17" MBP. Bought barely a few days before apple discontinued it. Can you tell me which SSD are you using in place of the DVD drive. I remember there was something from OWC. I plan to get a SSD as this MBP still has life in it. I have upgraded the RAM to 16GB and use external media for library and export. Works fine with C300 footage and my nomadic lifestyle. However, it is showing its age.
Old July 25th, 2015, 12:25 PM   #9
Trustee

I use the OWC kit. My optical drive got replaced with a 750gb 7200rpm drive for media and the system drive got replaced with a 250 gb SSD.
Pretty easy to install everything as owc supplies the tools and instructions.
Old July 29th, 2015, 10:20 PM   #10
Major Player

I also have done C100 editing on both a mid-2014 MacBook Pro but usually use my 27" iMac. The iMac seems to be faster, and it's a bit more easier to work with but either a newer MacBook or iMac should do the job just fine. Just make sure you have 16GBs of RAM and the fastest external hard drives you can buy, which is almost standard gear so no surprises there. USB 3.0 has worked about as well as TB drive in my limited needs.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems