Stabilizers best suited for C100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old September 11th, 2015, 02:39 PM   #1
Major Player

Stabilizers best suited for C100

What are you guys using for a stabilizer with your C100? I have been using a Glidecam Hd 2000 for my 6d but I just purchased a C100. Some are using the DJI Ronin, but I wanted to know how difficult those are to set up in real life siturations such as weddings and live events. I like the footage that comes from the Ronin but heard it was pretty heavy. Is anyone using the new stabilzer (Devin Graham) from Glidecam?
Jeff Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2015, 04:10 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Stabilizers best suited for C100

Hi Jeff, I highly recommend the Letus Helix Jr. for the C100. Every other gimbal out there is too complicated to balance and use in fast-paced single operator shoots, like docs and weddings. I've taken the Helix Jr. on tons of shoots since it came out in April, and it's been a real pleasure.

Here's an article I wrote about it: News Shooter | The Letus Helix Jr, Canon C100 and the Alaskan wild: Using a gimbal for documentary

If your C100 has AF, the 10-18mm is a super sweet lens for this gimbal. I also use the 18-135 zoomed into around 50mm max, for more tight shots when I'm shooting out of a car.

Cheers,
Slavik
Slavik Boyechko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2015, 12:02 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Slavik (or any Helix Junior owner),

I'm looking at the new Aluminium Letus Helix Jr for my Canon C100 (but I'm really hoping my much lighter Sony FS5 that's on Pre-order, with it's flexible LCD screen mounting options might be a better option anyway).

Looking on the Letus Helix website I'm not sure if I should order a 'Standard Camera Plate', or at a $75 on-cost the 'Junior Camera Plate'. I can't seem to find specs (or even pictures) of these items - so not sure which way to go.

Yesterday, I tried to ask a more general question on the Letus Direct Facebook page - but so far have had no response from Letus....slightly worrying from a customer service point of view!

Can anyone help with any advice please?

Helix Junior looks like a very well thought out product - not sure why we are not hearing more about it on DVinfo!

EDIT: Ah! Just found it!!! Looks like I just need the standard plate :-)

http://www.letus35.com/helix-standard-camera-plate/
Old November 4th, 2015, 07:38 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Just ordered the Letus Helix Jr (the new cheaper Aluminium version) as they have a $500 off promotion going on at the moment right across their gimbal range. Ordered a spare battery, the standard camera plate and a few other little extras (case etc.)....so let the fun begin soon!

Might be ebaying my Steadicam Merlin soon!
Old November 4th, 2015, 10:28 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Andy -

Sorry for not getting back to you yesterday. Wow that is a good deal! And yes, you got the right camera plate. I use the Manfrotto 394 QR plates for everything, so I have a bottom plate all the way at the tip of the Helix standard plate. That, along with a Zacuto Grip Extender and C100 handgrip on the back (plus a tiny counterweight on the left side), makes for a good balance. I've been using a Rode VideoMic attached to the right Helix handle for audio (I have a C100 mkI without internal audio), but looking to use the VideoMicro soon instead.

I'm also not sure why the Helix Jr. is not more wide spread - I'm guessing people who buy it have found that it actually works and don't need to go on forums talking about other gimbals?

Like you I've also got the FS5 on pre-order and am crossing my fingers it works well with the Helix Jr. :-) Looking forward to seeing your steady shots!

-Slavik
Old November 5th, 2015, 03:34 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks Slavik!

Yep, the $500 off (plus the extra $100 off with the currently valid Newsshooter promo code) made the Helix Junior Aluminium just too much of a tempting deal for me to wait any longer!!! (I was going to wait until the FS5 arrived before but really did not want to miss this limited time offer).

Letus Helix Jr Aluminium Launch write up here: http://www.newsshooter.com/2015/11/0...ooter-readers/

I'm sure I'll have a lot to learn - but from what I've read from the few informative articles I've seen (like the one you wrote - linked earlier - thank you) the Letus Helix Jr should not be too much of a steep learning curve. I never felt totally in control when using my Steadicam Merlin so success was often, indeed frequently not guaranteed - especially with a stripped down C100 as that is very near the was top end weight limit - but with the Letus Helix Junior I'm hoping that's all going to change. Outdoor use in anything approaching a slight breeze was also troublesome with the Merlin.

I got vaguely interested in the DJI Osmo for it's promised simplicity/grab and go potential but DJI's customer support is legendarily bad... and (as expected) the images coming out of the very small sensor X3 cam, especially in less than perfect light, are not something I'd want to use - the 60Mbps codec limit may be a factor too. A noisy fan sealed it's fate in my assessment. Sure the soon to be available X5 will be a better cam head for the Osmo - but if I'm spending THAT sort of money I'd much rather put a really decent cam, i.e. C100 or FS5 (hopefully...), on a professional gimbal as that seems a better route to success.

Also, and it's a small consideration, but filming for multinational corporates (my main client base) requires my kit to "look the part", not just the images produced and the professionalism of the guy doing it, if you know what I mean ;-)... The Osmo might be considered a toy!

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; November 5th, 2015 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Typo - adding link
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2015, 05:11 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Ha! Just has a call from FedEx at Stansted Airport. My Letus Helix Jr has arrived in the UK :-) Bad news is they need more than just my company's VAT number to release it - seems I now need an EORI number (and that's going to take 3 working days to generate apparently).

Once I've got that (and paid the import duties) I guess should have the Helix sometime next week.
Old November 24th, 2015, 01:25 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Here's a post I just wrote with a lot of detailed photos of my C100 & Helix Jr setup. The main thing is the Zacuto Grip Extender has to be rotated in order to fit properly.

Canon C100 and Letus Helix Jr – Photos | Alaska Video Shooter

Cheers,
Slavik
Old November 26th, 2015, 05:41 PM   #9
New Boot

Greetings Slavik,
I very much appreciate the sharing of your well organized personal wisdom with the C100+Helix Jr. Nice Princess Cruise production. Did you fly the aerial shots? GoPro?

Do you think it would be possible or practical to make an attachment on the upper or middle portion of the camera plate rod(s) for other types of mics, etc.?

Does Travis or another separate sound recording operator work with you in the field? You report that the Røde track is a scratch track.

So this rig cannot smooth out and overcome the majority of the oscillations of brisk walking and/or running? Did you ever find yourself touching up with restabilizing in post?

respects,
Eric
Eric Goodspeed is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems