Best monitor for C100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old September 14th, 2015, 05:19 PM   #1
Major Player

Best monitor for C100

I have read about the Atomos Ninja 2 but wanted to know what other monitors will work with the C100. I will be shooting alot out in the sun and need to be able to view my screen. My budget is around $300. Can the Atomos Ninja work as a monitor only? Thank you.
Jeff Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2015, 05:46 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Best monitor for C100

Ninja 2 has a crappy screen. The Blade is considerably better but the Atomos sun shade is close to useless. I use it and then add on a ton of Cinefoil to make it into a really useful in bright daylight hood. But that is a PITA and it looks pretty low rent. Why would you buy a recorder and then not use it? Prores HQ is superior to the C100's AVCHD. If you aren't going to record, buy a monitor. The new Small HDs are pretty nice.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2015, 06:59 PM   #3
Major Player

I am looking for a monitor that I can use indoor and outdoors. I will check out the monitor you suggested. I just bought the C100 and I am very disappointed with the work around and the lcd screen. I read many reviews and didn't think it was going to be that bad. I m used to using my 6d and it's screen. I guess I just need to get used to it.
Old September 14th, 2015, 07:03 PM   #4
Major Player

Will the monitor be blue like the screen on the c100 if I get a monitor thats HD quality?
Old September 14th, 2015, 07:14 PM   #5
Trustee

For the money ($495) I think the Ninja Blade is the best value out there. It's quite bright, color accurate and the batteries last forever. If you need to record there's that added value, but even if not, it's cheaper than anything else out there. SmallHD 502 would be my next choice, but $$$.
Old September 14th, 2015, 07:46 PM   #6
Major Player

Perhaps wait and see with the BMD Video Assist for fivie hundred also.
David Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2015, 09:44 PM   #7
Major Player

I have the Ninja Blade and the screen is really nice for indoor use, but when outdoors it's really hard to see because it's very reflective. Like Dan pointed out, the Atomos sunshade is basically worthless, so in order to use it outdoors you need something that will allow you to block out almost all the sunlight. I've read that some people have used this for the Ninja Blade with decent results:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1025572-REG/hoodman_hrt5_5_red_touch_screen.html

I know that SmallHD has several monitors that they say are "Daylight Viewable" and I've read very good reviews, but they're quite expensive (I think they start around $1500).

I bought a cheap Aputure screen and sent it back because the quality was really poor. It would work for framing, but for checking focus it was basically unusable. I think most of the cheap screens are probably not worth buying if you want to use them to adjust your focus or exposure.
Michael Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015, 08:34 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I ordered that RED sun hood you mentioned Michael. Thanks for the link. I will report back on how well it actually works. If it works well, that will be so great.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015, 11:35 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
I ordered that RED sun hood you mentioned Michael. Thanks for the link. I will report back on how well it actually works. If it works well, that will be so great.
Here's a review of the sun hood that was posted on B&H:

"I bought it to use with our Atomos Ninja Blade. It's a pain in the butt to put on the first time. I recommend leaving it on overnight once you get it on. The hoodman fits just around the edge of the Blade, push it one way a little too much and the Blade ends up falling out of it.

It did a fairly good job blocking the sun. You can't do much better without getting an actual viewfinder."
Michael Silverman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems