DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   "My Name is Kat" C100 Mark II and Atomos Shogun (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/529829-my-name-kat-c100-mark-ii-atomos-shogun.html)

Gary Huff September 22nd, 2015 05:40 AM

"My Name is Kat" C100 Mark II and Atomos Shogun

Dan Brockett September 25th, 2015 07:23 PM

Re: "My Name is Kat" C100 Mark II and Atomos Shogun

Great work as usual Gary. Gimbal with the C100 MKII? Which one? As a photographer, I was disappointed that in the edit I didn't get to see a single one of her images though and since she is a pro photographer, I was surprised at how much on-camera flash she is depicted as using. Nice little promo though, well done.

Gary Huff September 25th, 2015 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 1899174)
Great work as usual Gary

Thanks, Dan!

Quote:

Gimbal with the C100 MKII? Which one?
I planned to use a Ronin, but it turned into planning some shots with a WA lens (Tokina 11-20 to be exact) and some judicious use of Warp Stabilizer!

Quote:

As a photographer, I was disappointed that in the edit I didn't get to see a single one of her images
I think stills don't work very well in video, so it was a very conscious decision not to actually implement them in the piece.

Dan Brockett September 28th, 2015 08:54 AM

Wow, if those moves are handheld, you are pretty smooth and the warp stabilizer did a good job.

I am not crazy either about stills in video either but as a viewer, we just want to see a 1-2 second flash of some of them. Did you have any OTS shots of her viewing the shots in CU so we could see them "with her", rather than showing them as inserts? She talks about being influenced by LaChapelle so the viewer may need a frame of reference in case they don't know LaChapelle's work and the viewer wants to see how her work compares and references the elaborate staging of the LaChapelle images. Just my .02, worth less than that ;-) It's your vision and is very nicely executed.

Is this just a demo reel for her or a short film contest entry or just a piece you did for fun?

Gary Huff September 28th, 2015 09:46 AM

I've been doing these pieces to showcase my docu style and have reel material. I found that the vast majority of my works is just not suitable for demo reel material because it's boring corporate type stuff so I wanted to keep doing these when I have downtime and also as an experimental testbed.

My thinking was that this is going to live on the Internet, and links abound. The Vimeo page has a direct link to her page. It's like how articles reference prior articles and just include a hyperlink to the reference and don't actual quote as much anymore.

If someone has viewed this piece and they want to see and contrast, it's literally 5 seconds away. If that's even too much work, then they actually weren't that interested in the first place. Putting photographs in the piece grinds it to a halt and doesn't showcase what I can do, which was the whole point.

I also wanted to avoid any comments about her work, because I felt that it had nothing to do with the piece (as odd as that sounds). It was always about her as a photographer, not what she produces explicitly. I wanted to avoid any comments or negativity if her work was included and someone decided they thought it was crap.

Jim Andrada September 28th, 2015 04:13 PM

Liked the video but could hardly understand a word she said.

Gary Huff September 28th, 2015 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Andrada (Post 1899373)
Liked the video but could hardly understand a word she said.

I just tweaked the EQ for mixing with the music, didn't feel like it was a good call to drastically alter her pitch.