C100 - No hope for fast shutter without flicker??? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old October 6th, 2015, 07:05 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: C100 - No hope for fast shutter without flicker???

1/100 has been fine in Japan, but some of it's compounded by clubs that have 3 or 4 different styles of lighting rigs. That's pretty insane, but rare, and thankfully, all of them don't hit at once.

Thanks for the suggestions, all. I suppose, really, I'll just have to shoot a TON of b-roll (always good anyway) and when applicable, slow my own camera movement when shooting by these lights.
John Yingling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2015, 06:38 PM   #17
Trustee

Re: C100 - No hope for fast shutter without flicker???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
Since Japan is 50Hz country, if you are getting flicker at 1/50th and or 1/100th of a second shutter speed, that means the lamps are discharging at a different operating frequency. You could always try the flicker reducer and or shutter sync functions but one you have more than one source flickering in the same frame, all bets are off.

To me, high speed shutter always looks "strobey", that's one of the characteristics of high speed shutter. 180 degree shutter has a good amount of motion blur in it, that's what makes the motion relatively smooth. Have you tried shooting a higher speed frame rate, then speeding up the footage in editing? Shooting that, obviously, with another camera, since the C100 doesn't shoot at higher frame rates?
Yeah..the only benefit I see of shooting at ultra high shutter speeds is if you are going to slow down the footage in twixtor, or other speed ramping software that creates in-between frames, (where you need to shoot at the proper shutter speed for the remapped frame rate)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems