PRESS picture function not working on C100 MK1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old October 18th, 2015, 11:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

PRESS picture function not working on C100 MK1

Hi there. I posted this on the other forum, but still no insight.

Super nerdy question here. No matter what I try, I can't get the PRESS setting to have any effect on the picture on my mk1's.

The setting is in the custom picture settings under other functions / setup level / press. As I under stand the manual, PRESS should compress the video signal so it lives between 0 and 100% IRE (no superwhites). And that is indeed how the function works on the mkII. But no matter what I do, I can't get the PRESS setting to have any effect on the mk1's waveform. I've tried several different gammas.

I contacted Canon service, but I don't understand the response:

"After you have made adjustments to the Custom Picture Setting (PRESS, Gamma, etc.), save the preset as a Custom Picture File. Leave the menu and press the [CUSTOM PICTURE] button and select Custom Picture File you just saved. Check the LCD again to see whether there are noticeable changes to the waveform."

Can anyone with a MK1 please let me know if they can get the "press" setting to do anything?
Bob Drummond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2015, 06:56 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: PRESS picture function not working on C100 MK1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Drummond View Post
But no matter what I do, I can't get the PRESS setting to have any effect on the mk1's waveform. I've tried several different gammas.
What effect are you looking to have exactly?
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2015, 07:11 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm looking to take the full video signal, 0% IRE to whatever the top end is with super whites, (110% IRE?), and "press" the whole signal down so it does not go over 100%. That's how the function is supposed to work on the MK1, and that's how it actually works on the MK2.

You can also simply clip the signal at 100%, so it just literally cuts off the extra detail, but I'm not trying to do that right now.

There are a few reasons you might want to try this. If you just let the waveform go all the way above 100 into the super whites, you either have to correct every single clip to bring them down into legal range,or else you're losing some detail and causing potential problems with certain display devices.

Another reason I'm trying this is that the lowest noise profiles I've seen for the Mk1 are made in part by eliminating super whites. A very brief, non scientific test of high ISO noise on the Mk2 seemed to indicate to me that when"press" was engaged, it did actually result in lower overall noise.
Old October 19th, 2015, 07:16 AM   #4
Inner Circle

What are you seeing that tells you it's not working? Are you looking at the waveform only? Are you bringing the clip into an NLE and looking at it there?

Also, the best way to avoid noise is to not underexpose your image.
Old October 19th, 2015, 07:40 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes, I'm looking at the waveform as I'm turning the function on and off. And I'm looking at it later. It is not "pressing" the signal as the manual says it should nor as the C100 Mk2 does correctly in real time.

Thanks for the exposure tip. I know there are lots of ways to minimize noise. One of them is using the right profile for he right situation. I'm trying to make a nice high ISO profile that matches between the MK1 and MK2.
Old October 19th, 2015, 08:24 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
One of them is using the right profile for the right situation.
This, in my opinion, is the absolute worst way to do it, especially if you want consistency. The best way using a profile is to turn up the internal NR if you need a fast turnaround or if it is explicitly request of you.

The way you should be striving for is a) add lighting b) use fast lenses c) never underexpose. I'd rather shoot at 12,800 ISO to keep the scene from being underexposed than to shoot at 6400 and be a stop under.

However, as far as the PRESS option is concerned, are you on the latest firmware on the C100? While not explicitly stating that there were any firmware updates to address this issue, it's also good to know all the same.

Last edited by Gary Huff; October 19th, 2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old October 19th, 2015, 11:50 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I agree with all those ideas for minimizing noise, Gary. But it's perfectly reasonable to also want to use the right picture profile for the right job. For example, stock WIDE DR looks quite a bit worse at high ISOs compared to, say, stock CINE 1.

I assume I'm on the latest firmware for the mk1. It has the dual pixel AF, so doesn't require the newest firmware? I'll verify later though.

I'm just wondering if I found a bug no one has noticed yet with the C100 firmware.
Old October 19th, 2015, 12:31 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
assume I'm on the latest firmware for the mk1. It has the dual pixel AF, so doesn't require the newest firmware? I'll verify later though.
I'm pretty sure you're right about that. Could definitely be a bug.
Old October 19th, 2015, 12:33 PM   #9
Slash Rules!

Any NLE should have a "broadcast colors" or something filter you could blanket apply to all clips or the sequence that should clamp the whites/blacks. Granted, they may simply chop off the "extra" rather than compressing, but maybe not, these days. But you shouldn't have to hand correct every clip shot by shot for that reason.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems