DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   used c100 mk1 - still make sense? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/530395-used-c100-mk1-still-make-sense.html)

Rob Katz November 19th, 2015 01:09 PM

used c100 mk1 - still make sense?

i'm a long-time sony shooter-ex1-ex3-fs100-rented fs700.

i shoot mainly corporate/non-profit, shorts docs that are distributed via the web.

no client has asked for 4k...yet...though the idea of being able to punch is appealing.

there is a possibility of a used c100 being offered to me.

not many hours.

i know the current owner and he doesn't abuse gear.

my fs100 is a very good indoor talking head camera.

the c100 does a lovely job with skin tones.

the c100 has nd for exteriors where the fs100 needs a vari-nd.

both are "just" hd workhorses.

to those who know the c100, does the c100 still make sense?

does it make sense at $2k?

tia

be well.

rob
smalltalk.media/nyc

Seth Bloombaum November 19th, 2015 02:58 PM

Re: used c100 mk1 - still make sense?

In my somewhat underinformed opinion (I don't regularly shoot a C100, when I need one I rent)...

A used C100 Mk I, or with DPAF upgrade, is about the best deal going for a shooter on a budget.

In my world I have a good selection of EF glass... and a very good rental house with all the glass one could want. That figures into my ideas about the C100. Another bias; I'm very cost-sensitive. The C100 fits nicely with my "champagne tastes on a beer budget" approach. Nobody has asked me for 4k...

And the colors are purty.

Andy Wilkinson November 19th, 2015 03:19 PM

Hi Rob,

Ex Sony EX3 owner here - current PMW-300 and (as of tomorrow) a Sony FS5 owner.

I have also owned the C100 from its launch date. Will never get rid of it - was shooting some people shots with it today in Cambridge. Beautiful images - as always...Sure it has some weaknesses (that we all know about by now) but given the current price new (and no doubt even keener used) ....and it sounds to me like a reasonable price for babied gear...

I love my PMW-300 for its useability and 10-bit 422 broadcast codec - and the superb viewfinder arrangement. I love my C100 for its beautiful skin tones and small format.

Currently, the original C100 is an absolute steel for the quality of HD footage it can produce, IMHO. Just because its not the latest "thing" does not mean it is not capable of producing the kind of results I think you will like.

Mine has the DPAF upgrade - which despite my initial scepticism was well worth the cost. Does this one have that?

4K will come - hence my initial testing the water with this new FS5 purchase - but with my current client base it is still a while ahead - I think. A C100 will still produce lovely images (when handled well) in the next few years ahead.

Hope this helps.

Alex Harper November 19th, 2015 03:42 PM

I went from EX1, DSLRs to C100 when it was released, never looked back. The C100 is a workhorse, images quality is great, ergonomics work, battery life is hours & it has redundant recording. The only thing I wish it had is 50P! I won't sell my C100's but keep them as back-ups when I upgrade one day, still undecided if I want to go back to Sony (FS5 possibly for slow motion). It's cheaper than a 5D3 new, well worth buying used at the price it's at now.

Rob Katz November 19th, 2015 08:55 PM

600 hours.

original owner.

no dual pixel autofocus.

still a good deal?

rob
smalltalk.media/nyc

Rob Katz November 20th, 2015 03:39 PM

thoughts how how many hours are too much?

500hrs? 750hrs? 1000hrs?

where is the "nah, i'll pass" line?

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob
smalltalk.media/nyc

Dylan Couper November 20th, 2015 05:02 PM

If you're even dreaming of a C100 for $2000, you can have my FS700u for $2550. See my post in the classified section and email me if interested. :)

Alex Harper November 21st, 2015 04:44 AM

I'm on 900 hours and my cams still look almost newish, that's over two years filming weddings every weekend. I'll easily put another 1000 hours on them.

Benjamin Maas November 24th, 2015 12:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think this shows my thoughts on this question. This was a shoot I was on last week- concert work.

--Ben

Dylan Couper November 27th, 2015 03:39 PM

You're saying he should buy a piano instead of a camera? :)

Andy Wilkinson November 28th, 2015 12:14 AM

....To maybe play Pachelbel's Canon! :-)

Jim Andrada November 28th, 2015 06:06 PM

I thought Pachelbel had traded in his Canon by now.

Andrew Maclaurin November 30th, 2015 04:11 PM

He wanted to trade in his canon but was worried about losing his favourite colour space.
Besides, he's not that worried about the latest fad.

Doug Thompson February 16th, 2016 02:54 PM

I've used a C100 with DPAF since 2014 and it is my workhorse for video work. Shoot contract footage for TV stations, have done work for MSNBC and have two documentaries on music completed and in circulation. Have an 5D MKIII for backup video and plan to keep using the camera until it wears out.

To date, haven't had a request, or need, for 4K. I shoot broadcast work on a Ninja 2 and use a dual channel Audio Technica 1800 Dual Channel for sound alsong witth a Zoom H6. A Red Micro Black Ultracage helps keep everything organized and still lets the camera function as a run and gun.

If the time comes for 4K, I may look at the C300 MKII or the EOS1-D X MkII. My current still camera for sports and news action is an 1D X that also provides good HD footage as a backup.

I doubt I will get a C100 MKII. It's a lot of improvements but what I have works great.

Josh Bass February 16th, 2016 03:53 PM

what if you were buying into it NOW...im thinking of one but worried something will be announced at nab thatll make me regret.