C300 Mk 2 Dual Pixel Autofocus system in new 4k EOS-1DX MK 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old February 3rd, 2016, 12:49 AM   #1
Major Player

C300 Mk 2 Dual Pixel Autofocus system in new 4k EOS-1DX MK 2

The new EOS-1D X Mark 2 features a similar Dual Pixel Autofocus system as the C300 Mk 2 for its video recording functions.

What's interesting is that it has a touch screen which really enhances the auto focus ability of the system.

Shame the C300 MK 2 missed out on a touch screen. Don't quite know why as the XC 10 has a great touch screen. Maybe they will bring out a new monitor unit for the C300 MK 2, I doubt it, but it would be nice.

The next iteration of the C100 will probably have 4K and a touch screen maybe.

Newsshooter.com have posted an interesting video showing the touch screen autofocus capability.

Canon launch 4K EOS-1D X mkII pro DSLR – hands on test including touch screen AF
Mark Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2016, 11:22 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: C300 Mk 2 Dual Pixel Autofocus system in new 4k EOS-1DX MK 2

Not that it's the same...but you can, with the addition of the wifi transmitter, get similar control of the C300 Mark II with a tablet or smart phone. (actually. I'd prefer it that way, so I don't need to touch and potentially bump the camera when on a tripod, or, when handheld or on a gimbal, it can be accomplished by your new, low paid, focus puller :-)
Old February 3rd, 2016, 01:15 PM   #3
Major Player

Yes - I'd forgotten about the low paid focus puller
Mark Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2016, 06:39 AM   #4
Major Player

I am told the 1DX II dual pixel AF works in 100/120p. In the C300 Mark II the DPAF doesn't work at 100p. With erratic movement of subjects, it is very tough to get critical focus at the intended spot while shooting at 100p. So in certain situations while shooting with C300 Mark II, I would prefer to shoot in 50p rather than at 100p if I feel the subject movement is going to be very erratic. I haven't tested the 1D XII yet, but if the AF works well at 100p then it would be a real bonus.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems