C300 MK 2 lens compatibility issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old February 8th, 2016, 10:41 PM   #1
Major Player

C300 MK 2 lens compatibility issues

HI guys, I'm having trouble with 3rd party lenses and the C300mk2.

My C300mk2 can't see my Zeiss EF lenses (I have a 50 f/2 and a 25 f/2). F stops appear as a -- in camera and aperture cannot be changed.

The lenses work just fine on the original C300 and the C100.

Today I took my C300mk2 into a store to check out how it would work with the new Tamron primes. The C300mk2 wouldn't talk to either the 35mm or 45mm 1.8 primes. Again, F stops appear as -- in the LCD and neither autofocus or IS function..

I tried a Sigma Art lens and a Tamron zoom, both of which did work.

I do own Canon glass but I'm annoyed the Zeiss glass won't work. Also, there are specific 3rd party lenses (the stabilised Tamron 35 1.8 being an example) that I would prefer to their Canon equivalents.

Are others having these issues? Is a firmware update a possible solution?

Also, I'm quite keen on the Tokina 11-20 2.8 - if anyone has had any success pairing this with the C300mk2 I'd love to hear from you (I can't check one locally where I am).
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 12:46 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: C300 MK 2 lens compatibility issues

Josh,
There is nothing wrong with your C300 Mark II.

You have to take the lenses to their respective service centres and ask for firmware updates. When new cameras arrive, the older lenses do have a challenge as the firmware is not compatible.

More than a decade ago when I had got a new sigma 300mm f4 it behaved erratically with a new canon camera. I sent both the cameras and lenses to singapore as at that time the service centres were not there in India. Finally it was diagnosed that the lens firmware has to be updated. So it was sent by Sigma Singapore to Sigma Japan. These days with service centres in most of the places updating firmware is not as big a challenge as it used to. Nevertheless it is a pain.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi
Old February 9th, 2016, 01:10 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for your input Sabrasachi,

Life would be much better if the camera behaved with the lenses as they do with every other Canon camera.

These lenses are all current (the Tamrons are even newer than the C300mk2 so there's no question of them having the latest firmware). Of course, my Canon lenses (which happen to be my oldest lenses) work just fine.

In any case it's a nuisance. Of the 6 3rd party lenses I've tried, 4 are incompatible.

Tracking down overseas service centres in the hope they can update lenses to work with the C300mk2 doesn't really seem like an option give time, expense, and likelihood of resolution.

I'm going to see if I can get my hands on a Tokina to test but if anyone else out there is having success please chime in. Thanks.
Old February 10th, 2016, 12:43 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Without researching... I seem to have read somewhere... maybe the MarkII manual, that you can update firmware through the camera to the lens. I might be mistaken, but take a look. You might even be able to update lens firmware through the old C300, too.

I have had some issues with my Cine 17-120mm lens. It is currently not talking with camera and might have to be sent in for service. Unfortunately, I am away and cannot get to it at this time to get diagnosed.
Scott Stoneback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2016, 10:58 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Scott,

You may be in luck as the manual does mention the ability to update lens firmware via the camera (by way of downloading new firmware onto the SD card from Canon). However, I'm not sure if that will work if the camera is not talking to the lens at all?

For third party lenses though, this is not an option. I find it hard to live with the notion this is just a lens issue (not a C300/2 issue) as the camera does seem to be extremely finicky about what lenses it will play with. My Zeiss primes are effectively duds at present with the C300/2 and really you'd expect your Cine lens to just work (unless it is damaged in some way).

Another compatibility thing for buyers to be aware of: the HDMI output is extremely finicky. I have tried it with four monitors (a Sony broadcast monitor, a Dell computer monitor, my Samsung TV and a Small HD 501). The Small HD501 is the only screen that can interpret a 24/25p HDMI signal from the C300/2. This is not an issue with my camera per se, other people (inc. Lens Rentals) have reported the same problem.

It's a wonderful camera (I say this as a C300 owner who briefly flirted with the FS7, fought with the thing, and sold it) but I do hope these little bugs get sorted soon. Hope Canon is reading!
Old February 10th, 2016, 11:32 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I am going to start another thread about the monitor issue... but the short answer is it needs a monitor that will do progressive segmented frames PSF.
Scott Stoneback is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems