DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   One man crew "wonders" :-) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/531384-one-man-crew-wonders.html)

Barry Goyette March 12th, 2016 12:13 PM

One man crew "wonders" :-)

Here's a couple of spots I completed for our local Film Festival using the c300mark II. The high quality slow motion, combined with DPAF on this camera (not to mention the 4k time-lapse feature) made it possible for me to pull these off with zero help other than the actors.

Travis Andersen March 12th, 2016 08:11 PM

Re: One man crew "wonders" :-)

Nice work Barry!

Noa Put March 13th, 2016 01:50 AM

Noice, the c300II image has some serious mojo, too bad it cost more then what I paid for a brandnew car last year :)

Mark Dobson March 13th, 2016 02:07 AM

Extreme quality - very nice. I thought for a moment you had bagged Willie Nelson but it was just someone with cash to throw away.

Being that you are using the centre crop for slo-mo I was wondering what lens you used?

Barry Goyette March 13th, 2016 09:17 AM

Hi Mark,

These were shot at 60 frames placed in a 24 frame timeline, so no centre crop was used. The background projections were 2-6 fps timelapses played back at 60p. As for lenses I was using both the 35mm 1.4LII and the 17-55 2.8 EF-S.

The more I use and learn the AF features, the lazier I get, although, to put it bluntly, I'm also losing far fewer takes due to focus related errors. On these spots, using non-actors, I really needed to focus on their performances (especially because they were playing out at nearly 2 1/2 times as fast as what you see here. The autofocus was extremely reliable and repeatable.

This week I was shooting a product commercial with some extreme focus shifts. I "discovered" that the AF speed adjustments only work with STM lenses (of which I only own the pancakes), so I'm on the look out for some other STM options, which thankfully tend to be at the lower end of Canon's pricing structure.

Loren Simons March 15th, 2016 04:31 PM

Barry - the focus speed works with some USM lenses as well, however it seems to be only "newer" lenses. My original 16-35mm f/2.8 doesn't have speed adjustment, but the new f/4 does as well as the trusty 70-200mm f/2.8

Barry Goyette March 16th, 2016 11:20 AM

Hi Loren,

Thanks for the info. I think we had it set up on the very new 35mm EF 1.4L II when I noticed that all the speed controls were greyed out, so apparently it's "some" but not all. :-).

Barry Goyette March 20th, 2016 08:41 PM

Got an opportunity at the SLO Int'l Film Festival this weekend to see these spots projected on the 90ft screen at San Luis Obispo's Fremont Theatre. I was pretty stunned at how well the footage held up in terms of detail, looked a bit better than much of Allegiant (the newest Divergent film, shot on Alexa, that screened immediately following).