One man crew "wonders" :-) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old March 12th, 2016, 12:13 PM   #1
Trustee

One man crew "wonders" :-)

Here's a couple of spots I completed for our local Film Festival using the c300mark II. The high quality slow motion, combined with DPAF on this camera (not to mention the 4k time-lapse feature) made it possible for me to pull these off with zero help other than the actors.

Old March 12th, 2016, 08:11 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: One man crew "wonders" :-)

Nice work Barry!
Travis Andersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2016, 01:50 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Noice, the c300II image has some serious mojo, too bad it cost more then what I paid for a brandnew car last year :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2016, 02:07 AM   #4
Major Player

Extreme quality - very nice. I thought for a moment you had bagged Willie Nelson but it was just someone with cash to throw away.

Being that you are using the centre crop for slo-mo I was wondering what lens you used?
Mark Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2016, 09:17 AM   #5
Trustee

Hi Mark,

These were shot at 60 frames placed in a 24 frame timeline, so no centre crop was used. The background projections were 2-6 fps timelapses played back at 60p. As for lenses I was using both the 35mm 1.4LII and the 17-55 2.8 EF-S.

The more I use and learn the AF features, the lazier I get, although, to put it bluntly, I'm also losing far fewer takes due to focus related errors. On these spots, using non-actors, I really needed to focus on their performances (especially because they were playing out at nearly 2 1/2 times as fast as what you see here. The autofocus was extremely reliable and repeatable.

This week I was shooting a product commercial with some extreme focus shifts. I "discovered" that the AF speed adjustments only work with STM lenses (of which I only own the pancakes), so I'm on the look out for some other STM options, which thankfully tend to be at the lower end of Canon's pricing structure.
Old March 15th, 2016, 04:31 PM   #6
Major Player

Barry - the focus speed works with some USM lenses as well, however it seems to be only "newer" lenses. My original 16-35mm f/2.8 doesn't have speed adjustment, but the new f/4 does as well as the trusty 70-200mm f/2.8
Old March 16th, 2016, 11:20 AM   #7
Trustee

Hi Loren,

Thanks for the info. I think we had it set up on the very new 35mm EF 1.4L II when I noticed that all the speed controls were greyed out, so apparently it's "some" but not all. :-).
Old March 20th, 2016, 08:41 PM   #8
Trustee

Got an opportunity at the SLO Int'l Film Festival this weekend to see these spots projected on the 90ft screen at San Luis Obispo's Fremont Theatre. I was pretty stunned at how well the footage held up in terms of detail, looked a bit better than much of Allegiant (the newest Divergent film, shot on Alexa, that screened immediately following).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems