C100 mk2 what next at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old April 20th, 2016, 03:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

C100 mk2 what next

G'day folks, I'm in the market for a new camera. I have been very keen on the C100mk2 but I'm also looking at the Jvc GY-ls300. My background is very much eng/efp with nearly 40yrs in the industry. I only need a camera to cover the odd doco, a bit of media training and a few other projects. I like the form factor of the canon however It is possible that I might need 4k at some time hence the JVC (at a price). Before it is mentioned I have thought about the FS5 but this will be my last camera so I don't want to spend anymore than is needed. Is it feasible that the canon could get a firmware upgrade to allow 4K to an external hard drive. A big question I know but any thoughts would be very much appreciated.
George Ferrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2016, 04:12 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: C100 mk2 what next

I think the biggest advantage the c100II has over the ls300 is that it's better in low light and that it has a better autofocus with its dual pixel af. So if you where shooting run and gun low light events then the c100 would be a better choice.

But for your purpose I think the ls300 would be a better choice, it doesnt make any sense in getting the c100 hoping it would get 4K one day through a firmware update (which I seriously doubt) and some might say that 1080p on a c100 looks as good as 4K scaled down to 1080p on a ls300, or that you can upscale 1080p from the c100 to 4k but the main difference is that you can use a 4K image to your advantage by cropping it in post in a 1080p project, do that with a 4K camera and the image remains detailed, do that with a c100 and the image will fall apart. Cropping in post will give you the possibility to choose between a wider angle and a more close up from one and the same camera giving the impression that you are shooting with 2 camera's.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2016, 12:43 PM   #3
Tourist

I'm nipping at your heals, 30+ years eng/efp Just purchased the C100 mkii for some side jobs. Looked long and hard at 4k, just kept coming back to the images of the C100 mkii. So far, not disappointed. Form factor, ease of use and build quality. Played around with the FS5, seemed like a toy. My work goes directly to the web however...good luck.
Paul Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2016, 01:34 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Another advantage as you mentioned not to be spending more as needed, at B&H the ls300 is currently 2500 dollar (it's 3000 but includes a 500 dollar lens), the c100 is almost twice that price and the fs5 is more then double that price.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems