DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   XLR without top handle? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/531883-xlr-without-top-handle.html)

Philip Fass May 18th, 2016 05:48 AM

XLR without top handle?

Is there a cable or adapter that would allow direct connection of an XLR mic to the camera's audio input that's normally plugged in from the top handle?

Barry Goyette May 18th, 2016 01:28 PM

Re: XLR without top handle?

You didn't mention what camera you were talking about. But certainly there are mini plug to XLR cables out there. Definitely you want to keep to shorter lengths of cable though. I have an 18" xlr to 1/8 mini for hot-shoe mounting of a shotgun mic to my c300...

Canon was supposed to come out with an XLR only top piece for the C300 Mark II, but I don't know if it ever happened.

Philip Fass May 18th, 2016 02:03 PM

Sorry, I wasn't clear. Camera is 100 mk. Ii. I don't want to go into the mini jack, but from XLR mic to thr mulii-pin input that the handle connects to. Seems like it is mostly a matter of mapping the wires inside the handle, but I don't want to open it or xray it!

Seth Bloombaum May 18th, 2016 04:29 PM

That would be a great little accessory!

But, the handle also carries the mic/mic48v/line, a/m, and internal/external switches, as well as the level controls. Some/all of which you'll need... More that mapping wires.

Haven't heard of such, maybe it's out there.

On the other hand, if you get the right XLR-F to 3.5mm adapter cable, and don't need phantom power, it's pretty doable to use the 3.5mm input. Or, to use it with one of the dSLR mixers, which might be smaller and more acceptable to you than the handle, while still preserving the goodness of balanced wiring.

Philip Fass May 18th, 2016 05:05 PM

I thought the XLR has to go end to end for a balanced signal, so you' lose any advantage at the 3.5 mm input?

Seth Bloombaum May 19th, 2016 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Fass (Post 1914849)
I thought the XLR has to go end to end for a balanced signal, so you' lose any advantage at the 3.5 mm input?

Unlike a passive cable adapter, which unbalances your signal from the mic, with a mixer you're balanced to the mixer, then unbalanced just for the 6 to 12 inch hop from the mixer to the camera.

Per spec, even a short hop unbalanced is bad. In practice, it works!

Philip Fass June 1st, 2016 12:21 PM

Well, I've decided to be happy enough with the handle attached. But I wonder, with this and other camcorders, what sort of mic is the built-in clamp supposed to hold? It's way too big for either of my shotguns.

I have a Rycote Lyre mount I can attach, but there are times I'd just like to use the built-in one, if it fit the mic.

Barry Goyette June 1st, 2016 04:03 PM

it fits my sennheisers, unlike the old c300 which fit nothing, I believe. (for that I wrapped a couple of thick rubber bands around the mic barrel until it fit...also tried gaffers tape and strips of latex. All worked...but rubber bands ....there's always a few of them in the drawer.

edit: sorry...forgot which camera we were talking about. My guess is the c100 II will need some sort of spacer for most mic's to fit (aka rubber band).

Philip Fass June 3rd, 2016 08:35 AM

Barry, are those Sennheisers shotguns? Could you give me a specific model as an example to look up?