DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   Footage from the Upcoming Canon 18-80mm Compact Servo Zoom Lens (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/532073-footage-upcoming-canon-18-80mm-compact-servo-zoom-lens.html)

Eric C. Petrie June 14th, 2016 04:41 PM

Footage from the Upcoming Canon 18-80mm Compact Servo Zoom Lens

Here are a couple of links to videos that were recently released showcasing the new Canon 18-80mm compact cinema servo zoom lens. The first is from Canon themselves and the second is from Newsshooter. The Canon video is pretty impressive- especially in 4K- but I liked how Dan in the Newsshooter article uses the lens on both Canon and Sony cameras and describes his experience.
To join our free pre-order list simply send me an email or visit our website at provideoandtape.com

Exclusive: Canon CN-E 18-80mm T4.4 L IS servo zoom first sample video (pre-production lens)

Eric Petrie
epetrie@provideoandtape.com
Finance the Canon C300mkII for $459/month, $0 down
Finance the Sony Fs7 for $245/month, $0 down
Professional Cameras | Portland, OR | Financing

Nick Fotis June 14th, 2016 06:08 PM

Re: Footage from the Upcoming Canon 18-80mm Compact Servo Zoom Lens

Not planned something similar for EF mount users, I suppose?

N.F.

Mark Dobson June 14th, 2016 09:44 PM

Thank's for posting that video and the link Eric.

I think this lens will probably stay on my camera 80% of the time. It produces an aesthetically pleasing image and is pin sharp.

It's going to be interesting to see what other lenses Canon are developing in this series and how long we are going to have to wait to buy it!

Dan Brockett June 17th, 2016 10:42 AM

I mostly shoot EPK and BTS footage for TV shows and features. Looks like a very useful lens for my type of shooting, other than I would not be able to use it on set backstage where the lighting is dim or probably not on many night shoots. I am not yet shooting with the C300 MKII but on my C100, I prefer not boosting above ISO 1250, except when I absolutely have to. So for exteriors or shooting on the actual sets, either exteriors or well lit, this lens looks perfect. When the light gets dimmer, this lens would be replaced by the 17-55 2.8 and the 70-200 2.8 IS II or even my 28mm 1.8 when it is really dark. There is no substitute for a fast lens but the servo zoom would be very handy, I miss that from when I used to shoot with broadcast 2/3" cameras and the original Varicam. Following talent around a set handheld gives good opportunity for small and subtle zooms to re-frame or isolate a subject.

Sabyasachi Patra June 18th, 2016 08:29 AM

Nice Footage. Eyeing this lens whenever it is available.

Nick Fotis June 18th, 2016 12:51 PM

For Cinema EOS cameras with EF mount (eg C100, C300), it would be nice to get a good 18-105/4 lens with power zoom (like in the Sony EA50 kit).

That would make a nearly universal combination with APS-C/Super35 sensors.

N.F.