C300 Mk2 - 4K Music video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old July 4th, 2016, 07:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

C300 Mk2 - 4K Music video

I recently shot a rather complex, multi-layered music video for a professional guitarist, using the C300 Mark II. Filming in 4K was great, and overall the camera performed well, however I have to admit to being disappointed with C-log2 - just too much noise in the shadows for my liking and the grade didn't really seem to help. So I'm looking forward to the firmware update in July which apparently includes C-log3 that will look less noisy pre-grade. In the meantime, I will stick to the original Clog.

Old July 4th, 2016, 08:08 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: C300 Mk2 - 4K Music video

Very highly skilled video Dan.

The images all look terrific and I liked the white studio set you used for the main musical sequence. Be interesting to hear a bit more about the production. Was the main sequence mimed?

Great guitarist with a definite influence of Jeff Beck there!
Mark Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 03:22 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Mark. Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate that!

Yes, it was shot in a studio with a white infinity background, the rest of it was filmed against greenscreen in the same studio so we could then colour match the guitars with the right background. All of it was mimed to playback, which became quite complex when arranging the different layers of guitars.

The 'Brady Bunch' boxes concept was Mike's idea, as was the band playing against a white background. However, he wanted not only a white background but for it to also look 'moody' which was a bit of a challenge, as that is the opposite of how white studios are normally set up (ideally for the clean look). So that is why I decided to light it primarily from behind the band, and to also create lens flare. Although to my regret I kept the Dedo light tungsten instead of daylight balanced. At the time I thought it was helping create some colour in the lens flares. But the reality is that it messed with skin tones in post!

Three lenses used: Tokina 11-16, Canon 24-70 and Canon 70-200, all 2.8.

Mike is very Jeff Beck - he also teaches how to play like him on DVDs etc.
Old July 5th, 2016, 04:17 PM   #4
Wrangler

Great job with the project Dan. Such a CLEAN image! Thanks for sharing.
Old July 6th, 2016, 01:16 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Lovely, thanks!

May I ask (roughly!) how you did the boxes? Did you use PP?
Nathan Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2016, 04:52 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Glen/Nathan.

The boxes were a combination of Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects. Premiere to synch and roughly sketch out the structure, then realised in After Effects as it also involved keying all the backgrounds. Then mastered back in Premiere. Due to the number of layers and keying the render times were quite long -the intro section took about 6 hours to render.

Hope that helps!

Regards
Dan

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems