DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   C300 Mark 11 / Lexar Pro 3400 CFast 2.0 x 64GB File Corruption (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/532865-c300-mark-11-lexar-pro-3400-cfast-2-0-x-64gb-file-corruption.html)

Mark Dobson October 11th, 2016 11:37 PM

C300 Mark 11 / Lexar Pro 3400 CFast 2.0 x 64GB File Corruption

Just a heads up really after having my first File Corruption issue ever.

Got back from a 2 day shoot with the C300 Mark 11 and started to import the files onto my computer and one of my 2 Lexar Pro 3400 x 64GB cards appears to be corrupted and it seems I've lost an important interview.

It was there in the camera when looking at the files through the media switch but then when importing into FCPX it appeared the card was empty. This seem to be confirmed when reinserting into the camera and switching to Media.

After a lot of fiddling I managed to get 60% of the contents off the card but the core interview and cutaways seems to have gone into the ether. Serious problem which no doubt we will resolve and I'm off to by some SanDisk Extreme PRO CFast 2.0 cards and am considering recording in double slot mode.

I was sold the cards by the dealer I got the camera from who said they were ok but it seems it is the Lexar 3500x CFast 2.0 Cards that have been verified by Canon.

Does anyone know of any decent file recovery software I can use to analyse my card?

Noa Put October 12th, 2016 12:29 AM

Re: C300 Mark 11 / Lexar Pro 3400 CFast 2.0 x 64GB File Corruption

I have used this one with good results: Data Recovery Software, Solutions, Tutorials - ZAR Data Recovery

Stewart Hemley October 12th, 2016 01:40 AM

Mark, my dealer also supplied a Lexar but it was the 3500 which I think is the recommended one. I've heard reports (can't remember where) that the 3400 can cause problems. That being the case, maybe your dealer should offer to exchange your 3400 for the 3500?

Also, my Lexar came with the little leaflet with details about Lexar's own Image Rescue 5 software.It's downloadable from their site. I think you need a passcode which should have been given with your card. Good luck.

Mark Dobson October 12th, 2016 01:46 AM

Thanks for feedback - Have tried Image Rescue 5 with no result.

ZAR is PC based and I'm on a Mac.

Think I'll send it to an expert

Hmm

Jim Martin October 12th, 2016 09:01 AM

3500 cards only for C300 MK II......

Jim Martin
EVSonline.com

Brian Hoodenpyle October 12th, 2016 10:23 AM

I had the same problem with 4K footage I captured on the C300MKii capture to the Lexar 3400 cards. . I was able to retrieve it all by using this company - aero Quartet: Video Apps and Repair Service

Might seem a little pricey but worth it get all the footage back.

Dan Parkes October 13th, 2016 01:50 AM

Mark -

So sorry to hear of your card corruption, sounds like a nightmare. When I bought my first C300 Mk2 the dealer (ProKit) also supplied me with Lexar 3400x cards, saying at the time these were the only ones available that would work. As of yet I have not had a problem. So it concerns me to read of this. Where does it state that these cards are not verified by Canon?

Fortunately, when I bought my second Mk2 it came with SanDisks (Extreme Pro CFast 2.0 515 MB/s).

By the way, were you also shooting to Proxy on the SD card? This is something I am always doing, which while a low res version would at least avoid a complete loss.

Mark Dobson October 14th, 2016 10:15 PM

Hi Dan,

Yes - as I mentioned, like you I was supplied with Lexar Pro 3400. Until this week I've had absolutely no problem with them and as I predominately work 1080p no real concern that I was stretching the data flow onto the cards.

I've just had negative feedback from the data recovery company I sent the card to - seems the clips that I couldn't find are lost. They are doing one final deep scan but it looks like we will be reshooting the interview next month. Frustratingly the C300 B cam footage is superb but the audio is not up to scratch as it was recorded with the camera mic for post syncing.

So I've just bought two 128GB Extreme PRO CFast 2.0 Cards and from now on will always use dual record.

Here's a list of approved cards I came across

http://www.canon.co.uk/support/consu...tcm:14-1296998

Dan Parkes October 15th, 2016 03:09 AM

Hi Mark

I really feel your pain of having that conversation with the client about a reshoot....

Just a thought, but did you happen to do the firmware upgrade prior to this? Wondering whether there is a connection. I have yet to do the upgrade (waiting for a window of opportunity between projects).

The link you posted didn't work for some reason, so I found it here:
Search - Canon UK

And there is something else interesting on the page - it mentions "we recommend that users regularly fully format and refresh their card using the 'CFast Full Format and Refresh Tool" available from the link below.'"

The links are:
SanDisk: CFast 2.0 Full Format and Refresh Tool
Lexar: Downloads

Looks like Lexar's has no Mac version.

I've only ever used the format function on the camera and was not aware of the need of these extra tools from Lexar and SanDisk nor the term "sanitizing" cards. Anyone else using these tools? Could this also be connected to corrupted cards?

Mark Dobson October 16th, 2016 03:18 AM

I've not carried out the latest firmware update and tend to just use the internal initialise function in the camera.

To my mind its just one of those unfortunate things that has happened and even if I were to continue using the Lexar 3440 cards it would probably never happen again - but once bitten.

Dan Brockett October 23rd, 2016 09:31 AM

I feel for you, that's not a fun thing to go through. I was at Canon Hollywood yesterday at an all day training seminar on the C300 MKII. Looking through my notes, the instructor said, "Only use the Sandisk Extreme Pro CFast cards. They have been tested and are approved by Canon. The Lexar 3500 was just approved but DO NOT use the 3300 or 3400, they are not approved, will not be approved and if you bring your camera into the CPS service center with those, the service people will tell you there is nothing they can do to help you as you shot unapproved media." Live and learn.